D23 Exclusive: The Making of The Little Mermaid, Arielís Undersea Adventure

It only took 5 hours to make!

The Making of The Little Mermaid, Arielís Undersea Adventure attraction at DCA. Presented by Walt Disney Imagineers Larry Nikolai, Lisa Girolami, and Chris Crump. Video shot at D23 conference, Anaheim, CA 8-19-11. Presented in four parts with a run time of : 56.56

Link to video: D23 Exclusive: The Making of The Little Mermaid, Ariel’s Undersea Adventure | Disney by Mark

• Minion

Re: D23 Exclusive: The Making of The Little Mermaid, Arielís Undersea Adventure

excuse me, this sounds incredicibly unreal
    could this explain the awkward storyline and flow of the attraction

• Seeker of Fun

I think it was mentioned in one of the threads a while back that this would be just a big Fantasyland dark ride. It's a neat attraction and all, but it leaves a lot to be desired.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

It's a great ride, up until the end of the Ursula segement. After that, it just goes downhill, starting with the transition with her getting her legs, which looks unrealistic and very out of place. As we head into Kiss the Girl, the decor goes from being on the ground to on a stage. It excludes the guests from the scene when they have already been invloved in the attraction. It seperates us, and gives it a very sterile feel. This feeling continues through the last two show scenes. As we leave Kiss the Girl, we are faced with a black wall on one side and SLIGHT theming on the other, lacking dialogue and other story-telling properties. Why is Ursula angry? Why is the scene very two dimensional in a three dimensional ride? \

Lastly, we progress into the finale with it's awkward fireworks and characters dancing off beat/ tempo. Why does Triton have real hair when the others are plastic? Why is it so bright?

The ride leaves us with two feelings:

1) The feeling that we missed something... that something must have happened, but what?

2) Imagineers ran out of money to finish the 2nd half of the ride, leaving a cheap, unfinished ending on par with Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Hopefully, Imagineers will soon realise the small mistakes that make this ride a C ticket attraction instead of the E it very well could be. With some work on the above as well as added motion in other parts of the ride, TLM could truly be the staple ride of Paradise Pier.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Nutty about Disney parks

I still believe that the Imagineers wanted to focus more on the musical segments for this ride than the actual story telling. It could explain why alot of it jumps around. It's still not as bad as the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show at DHS where they get up to "Poor Unfortunate Souls" and then fast forward the rest of the way through the entire movie. Seriously, they just show the rest of the movie on a screen but fast forward it. Lame.

Again I don't think the ride was intended to tell the story but rather to showcase the songs (the popular memorable ones anyway).

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

As much as I think it COULD be better........I can live with it because the line is never over 15 mins.....I mean really its hard for me not to like a ride that I can almost walk on...this kinda happened with Pooh too but the difference is Mermaid did not take away a classic attraction from the park

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    As much as I think it COULD be better........I can live with it because the line is never over 15 mins.....I mean really its hard for me not to like a ride that I can almost walk on...this kinda happened with Pooh too but the difference is Mermaid did not take away a classic attraction from the park
    But there is a big difference between Mermaid and Pooh: Mermaid is popular. TLM's wait times are short not because it isn't popular, but because it's ride system is a huge people eater. Pooh's wait times are short because it isn't popular.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^and location....bet a million bucks it would have lines all day if in Fantasyland.......but who is going to walk all the way over to that side of the park for one ride? The reason I go on it is cause I go on Splash at night (no line) and then move on to Pooh (also no line)

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^and location....bet a million bucks it would have lines all day if in Fantasyland.......but who is going to walk all the way over to that side of the park for one ride? The reason I go on it is cause I go on Splash at night (no line) and then move on to Pooh (also no line)
    I agree with this. Location plays a huge part to why the line is short most of the time. It would have much, much longer lines in Fantasyland.