Lightbulb I hope they fix all the burned out blue lights in SpaceMtn when they close it next

So anyone that rides Space knows this, the blue tunnel lights before the lift main lift, they have been burning out for years. Today this must have passed my threshold the last time I could tell the intent of the light flashes, but tonight it was just really random and a new rider wouldn't know that the lights are in a chase sequence

I stopped by City Hall, said I "have something I would like to see" (they can not take suggestions, legal) said what I have written, adding that "I would really like/hope that when the ride closes for the ghost galaxy overlay for the week and a half, that they fix all those burned out lights, if they are neon or florescent idk, but that would be great "

In Ghost Galaxy, the blue tunnel is turned off and is just black, so I hope that they use the time to get in there either in mid Sept or in Nov to replace the burned out ones. After all, even if it takes longer, the tunnel is pitch black, so we wouldn't know if the light covers were missing.

Has anyone else stopped by City Hall asking about this? I hope they pass my comment along. As an E Ticket that runs at 100%, this is one black eye in an otherwise flawless presentation. If this inspires anyone, be sure to point out that Ghost Galaxy is a great time to get in there

• DLR Enthusiast

Re: I hope they fix all the burned out blue lights in SpaceMtn when they close it nex

I've noticed this the last few times I've visited the park. Lighting is very important to presentation on rides, I hope they have it fixed soon...
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

• We Go On.

Re: I hope they fix all the burned out blue lights in SpaceMtn when they close it nex

Thank you! I'm not the only one bothered by this. They also need to recallibrate the projectors on the second lift and restore the crackling sound effect at the top of lift 1.

• DLR Enthusiast

I've always thought the projectors on the first lift hill needed some timing correction as well. If you aren't in the first car or two, you don't get to see the swirling galaxy projection before the turn.

You can solve this by always riding in the front row.

• The Pumpkin King

Yeah, I always ask to sit in the very front. My favorite seat anyways. But it does go out quickly. When I was there in june, the blue lights worked fine.

In case anyone doesn't know what it's suppose to look like, here is an image from years ago. White Bones, I'm afraid you got used to the lights not working at even 50%.
    Name:  Space Mtn.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  122.1 KB
    You can google and see Disney's marketing images and see a vast difference. I really dont know the last time I saw an entire light ring working. Like I highlighted in green. Behind that one, in red, two lights have burned out

I have a feeling they use neon lights to be able to get the flash timing, but I wonder what the excuse is. Look at Vegas, they run it everyday in the desert heat for the same number of hours a day, with as much blinking. So it can't be the transformers or the neon burn out too quickly. Whoever maintains the space walk mickey, get them in there, please!

• DLR Enthusiast

Judging by how each panel isn't always lit evenly, I'd say there are at least two lighting elements in each panel. And you can sort of see two separate linear lamps of some sort. Can't really for sure say what type of lighting they use though. It can be done with fluorescent with the right ballasts and controls. I couldn't imagine that much neon going out... Someone has to know...
    Last edited by bamato; 08-29-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: grammar

A row of LED's with the right filters would work great and not burn out as often.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    A row of LED's with the right filters would work great and not burn out as often.
    If they did, they could just use blue leds and animate the led bars for smoother chasing, but that is hoping for too much, I just want them to fix what they've got now its cheaper. For all the bad news about WDW upkeep, their tunnel works great in all the videos I looked at. Plus, instead of turning the tunnel like we do, they have a really cool infinity effect

• DLR Enthusiast

LED's would certainly be the "green" way to go for Disney. It could also offer limitless possibilities with chasing, flashing, colors etc. Cree and many other LED manufacturers offer starboards with R/G/B LED's that could do some REALLY cool stuff in the star tunnel with the right drivers and controllers. Although an LED array of that size would cost a small fortune unless they used really low wattage LED's (which would sort of diminish any wow factor the LED's brought anyway). But we can always Blue Sky right?