Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Starcade's Cyber Cowboy

There has been a Disneyland Memory™ that has been plaguing me for ages. I distinctly remember a robotic cowboy game in Tomorrowland's Starcade some years back. You would feed the machine it some exorbitant amount (a dollar, probably), and this full sized cybertronic gun-slinger would come to life and shuffle towards you. At this point he would say something, and seconds later you would have to draw your gun from the holster and put some hot lead... I mean high-powered laser, right into his heart.

Can anyone clear this memory up? Or am I simply doomed to watch the Matterhorn fall into the barren 20k lagoon because NO ONE WOULD LISTEN TO THE TRUTH?!?!

• Smells like beer

Re: The Starcade's Cyber Cowboy

I don't remember a robot, but I remember a cowboy that would do something similar to what you described, but he was located behind Splash Mountain where the Pooh store is now. You put your money in the machine and these saloon doors would open. I can't remember exactly what he said but if you missed he said something like "Hide the women and children cockeye's got a gun" and if you killed him he said something about pushing up daisy. Thats all I got for ya.
    I find it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind

• Roar!

i remember something like that at Knott's next to there shooting gallery next to their log ride and mine train

• Time Traveler

I also remember it being where LightBeer said.
    I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
    Gas For Car- $60
    Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

I'm willing to be wrong about the location though I was positive it was near the "see what your weight is on other planets" scale in the Starcade and had a futuristic purple coloration.

Now I'm wondering if this could have been in WDW. Darn you, useless and unreliable memory.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I remember it being behind splash where lightbeer said also

I don't remember the cowboy however I do remember flying on the Magic Carpet through Agrabah and entering the cave of wonders to rescue the Lamp. I passed it only one time! Very cool.

• Small Projects Team

Quote Originally Posted by villain
    I don't remember the cowboy however I do remember flying on the Magic Carpet through Agrabah and entering the cave of wonders to rescue the Lamp. I passed it only one time! Very cool.
    I was one of the first ones to test that magic carpet thing back when my dad worked for WDI

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1
    There has been a Disneyland Memory™ that has been plaguing me for ages. I distinctly remember a robotic cowboy game in Tomorrowland's Starcade some years back. You would feed the machine it some exorbitant amount (a dollar, probably), and this full sized cybertronic gun-slinger would come to life and shuffle towards you. At this point he would say something, and seconds later you would have to draw your gun from the holster and put some hot lead... I mean high-powered laser, right into his heart.

Can anyone clear this memory up? Or am I simply doomed to watch the Matterhorn fall into the barren 20k lagoon because NO ONE WOULD LISTEN TO THE TRUTH?!?!
    I remember something like that but I remember it being in frontierland.

Quote Originally Posted by villain
    I'm pretty sure that is still operating at Disney Quest in WDW, but I could be wrong. I swear I saw it in 2003.

This looks very close to what I remember being in the Teddi Berra Arcade. http://marvin3m.com/arcade/ttopgun.htm

It looks as though this may not be the entire thing with the way it's displayed. The one I remember had the Gunfighter behind Saloon doors and the opened before the Draw began.

They also had a cool video one similar to this: http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/wildgun1.jpg

Where live action bad guys would popup and shoot at you from the video screen. Spent lot's of money on these two.

• Makin' Movies !

At The Opera House, Waitin' For Mr. Lincoln!

Thumbs up Re: The Starcade's Cyber Cowboy

I also remember this cowboy in the starcade. He wasn't there very long, but he was there. My brother always wanted to play it, but never did because it was a lot of money for us little kids that only had our little allowances to spend!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie
    They also had a cool video one similar to this: http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/wildgun1.jpg

Where live action bad guys would popup and shoot at you from the video screen. Spent lot's of money on these two.
    They had this one at Knott's too (I think they still had it recently, but I'm not sure. They had some sort of shooting game when I was there a few years ago).

Yep, couldn't play it much but loved it.

Yes, there was a robot gunfighter in the Starcade and a cowboy gunfighter in Teddi Berra's arcade. Both were similar in nature and peformed the same way. I liked the one in Critter Country because of all the constant insults he threw at you. His name was Johnny Rio. Lots of guests would pull the gun from the holster even though they were not going to play and Johnny would say "Hey, hey, bushwacker, put the gun back in the holster, next time there better be money in the box." Put a coin in, the doors would open and Johnny Rio would speak, "I've been lookin' for your beady eyes! My name's Johnny Rio, the baddest, toughest, and if it weren't for you, the ugliest ombre around." He had other insults like "you better try that again ya cross-eyed prarie gopher" and "you're useless as lips on a chicken, come back when your eyes are open." If you cheated, Johnny would call you out, "hey, ya cheated me, now your'e gonna pay!" The robot in Starcade threw insults but the metallic voice dampered the effect. I read a thread once on a.d.d. where a CM felt the need to get even with Johnny after hours and he climbed in there and hit him a few times.

As far as Disneyland rifle games go, I miss the ones that used to be in Frontier Mercantile. There were about six games in there, three of each kind. The first was an Autumn scene with two tree trunks. Squirrels would "climb" up the trees and you would shoot at the red crystal target on their sides and they would fold back when hit and reset at the bottom of the tree. The second game was a bear chasing a dog and they would run around and around a small forest scene. You would shoot at the bear. When the bear was hit he would raise up on his two legs, exposing another target, turn, lower, and run in the opposite direction. There are times when I examine the wall where they used to be. I miss those homemade shootin' games at Pieces of Eight and Teddi Berra's. They were fun and had original soundtracks. Fortune red is about the only original coin-op in Pieces of Eight now.
    Last edited by Triton; 12-13-2005 at 09:20 PM.

My memory is vindicated. Thank you so much Triton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast