Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flying to the Disneyland Resort for the first time.

My family and I have been visiting the resort several times a year for the past five years. Each time we have made the drive from the San Francisco bay area down to Disneyland. For this years October trip we decided to fly and have a couple questions.

We'll be staying at the Grand Californian, do they offer a pick up and return shuttle? I'm assume that they'll at least arrange the return trip to the airport.

And how long before our flight leaves should we be thinking about heading out? Our flight leaves at 8:00 on a Sunday evening. At about what time should we show up at the front desk and inquire about a ride to the airport.

I know there is a lot more involved with flying these days. The last time I flew was a month after September 11th.

Thanks,

Re: Flying to the Disneyland Resort for the first time.

To the best of my knowledge, Disney does not offer free shuttle service to/from the airports. There are, however, dedicated Disneyland shuttles to/from the resort that run continuously.

On our March visit, we took the shuttle from John Wayne Airport to the GC. I don't recall the cost, but it seemed reasonable. I believe the Disneyland web site had information about the shuttle.

Brian

Edit; Here you go:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/plan...ransportation/

Disneyland Resort Express

The Disneyland Resort Express provides the most convenient mode of transportation between John Wayne Airport and the Disneyland Resort area, including Disneyland Resort and Anaheim Resort hotels. Upon exiting baggage claim, proceed to the GTC. The Disneyland Resort Express picks up Guests in front of the ticket booth located to the left on a regular basis. Reservations are not required, but there is a fee to ride.

I think the same service exists from LAX.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My Avatar: Duck vs. Monorail, Disneyland 3/18/11

Thank you very much.

Its no big deal if its not free, as long as the service exists, I'm happy.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
    Thank you very much.

Its no big deal if its not free, as long as the service exists, I'm happy.
    There are cabs. There is no Disney-owned transportation service.
    There are private cars that you would have to arrange, not the hotel.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
    My family and I have been visiting the resort several times a year for the past five years. Each time we have made the drive from the San Francisco bay area down to Disneyland. For this years October trip we decided to fly and have a couple questions.

We'll be staying at the Grand Californian, do they offer a pick up and return shuttle? I'm assume that they'll at least arrange the return trip to the airport.

And how long before our flight leaves should we be thinking about heading out? Our flight leaves at 8:00 on a Sunday evening. At about what time should we show up at the front desk and inquire about a ride to the airport.

I know there is a lot more involved with flying these days. The last time I flew was a month after September 11th.

Thanks,
    You didn't say, but I assume you are flying into John Wayne and not LAX? If your flight is at 8PM Sunday, I think you want to be at the airport no later than 6:45PM. It is maybe a 20 minute drive using the car pool lanes. You can arrange a shuttle before or just grab the Disneyland Resort Express when you get your luggage. For the return trip I'd work with the concierge at the GC for their advice on what to use for the return trip.

Last time I stayed at the DL Hotel I took a shuttle service from the airport. I think it cost about $20-$25 each way. There are a lot of different companies offering services so make sure you do your homework to get the best price and convenient pick-up times. And if a company is offering a discount make sure you pay online or print the coupon or whatever is required to get it. I was expecting to pay $13 once but I didn't book online and ended up paying $25. =(

• Senior Minion

WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    If you do use them, it's better to get a dedicated van. The shared rides are pretty miserable, at least they have been for me.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    If you do use them, it's better to get a dedicated van. The shared rides are pretty miserable, at least they have been for me.
    In what respect?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    You didn't say, but I assume you are flying into John Wayne and not LAX? If your flight is at 8PM Sunday, I think you want to be at the airport no later than 6:45PM. It is maybe a 20 minute drive using the car pool lanes. You can arrange a shuttle before or just grab the Disneyland Resort Express when you get your luggage. For the return trip I'd work with the concierge at the GC for their advice on what to use for the return trip.
    Yes, John Wayne.

Thank you for your suggestions and everyone else who is offering their suggestions as well. Its much appreciated.

• Minion

ORGOCH: They's only ONE good way ta fly these days an' that's by broomstick! Leave them dang flyin' contraptions alone! From what I hear, the pilots don't always even know how ta fly one a them silver birds! All this modern teck stuff ain't worth a hill a beans. Go back ta the more simple life and leave the modern junk alone!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    In what respect?
    The shared ride shuttles usually stop at several hotels so unless you are one of the first stops it can be a long trip. It's usually not tooo bad, but if you've been traveling for hours already and anxious to get to your hotel it can be a pain.

• Done with MC.

A cab ride is $30-35 regardless of how many people and luggage you have. It's also the fastest way to the DLR area since the drivers like to do about 80...

we use the super shuttle from lax. no real problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    A cab ride is $30-35 regardless of how many people and luggage you have. It's also the fastest way to the DLR area since the drivers like to do about 80...
    We've also preferred the directness of a cab to and from John Wayne Airport - whenever I am on a shared van ride, my destination always seems to be last...

As you start adding up the SNA Disneyland Express fares for two adults and children, the taxi is usually in the same ballpark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast