Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

The Old Man in the Bayou

So while chatting about POTC with a friend the other day, he asked me if I knew the name of that old man that's in the rocking chair on that little shrimp boat (with the banjo playing). I was completely stumped! I really don't think he's named -- but I bring this mystery to all of you, dear fellow Micechatters!

Re: The Old Man in the Bayou

i don't know his name but he really puzzles me. He's not playing the banjo yet we hear it and there were no recordings in pirate days.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    i don't know his name but he really puzzles me. He's not playing the banjo yet we hear it and there were no recordings in pirate days.
    In the bayou we're not yet in pirate days. We're in current day. You don't go back in time until you go down the waterfalls. Also, it's possible there's a friend inside the shack playing the banjo. It doesn't have to be a recording.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Future Imagineer! =D

Come to think of it, I don't know his name either!! I've always been so curious about him though! He's that one character that lets your imagination run wild.

Hmmm...he's kind of peaceful, calm, modernish. It's almost like he's rocking in his chair, thinking, like some old historian who is leading you into a time of destruction and the old pirateing days that he perhaps witnessed.

Hehe, I don't know about that, but that's what I think of(:
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

In 1877 Thomas Edison did invent the phonograph. So perhaps that is being listened to by the old man. I personally always envision his playing a banjo. Even though I don't recall having seen one during any of my trips. When I describe the bayou, I normally do refer to the old man that is smoking his corn cob pipe while strumming his banjo. I do that, because that is how I like to see it, and hear it as well. I am hoping that Disney actually places said banjo in the hands of the old man.
    I have not heard either of a name for him. I do like to call him however a name to which I have chosen for him, being Monsieur Bayou Coulee. Or old man Coulee.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

The same old man in the rocking chair can be seen from the Liberty Belle riverboat at WDW, instead of on POTC.

His name is "Beacon Joe" at WDW.

• Banned User

Who is playing the music in the rest of the attraction? It is just atmosphere.

I'm almost certain that he has a friend in the cabin playing the banjo. It does not sound like the recording quality that would have emanated from a phonograph. And, in addition, I've always liked to think of him as a man that took at least some part in the events that occur after the waterfall... I've always seen the entire bayou scene as occurring in the early 1800s, but I suppose that's probably not the case.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Bonjour Mes Amis

Rosies Bar sipping upon a nice cold Grape Nehi ... pass the pretzels please

I too have always imagined and envisioned the old bayou theming as being set sometime in the 19th century as well. In the mid to late 19th century to be more specific. And I like my name for him, although, I can easily create or otherwise arrive at other choices, or nick names too.
    Follies of the Living..............Concerns of the Dead

• Banned User

John Fogerty?

Maybe he has an iPod in there with a big battery pack and speakers that he snuck in when the CMs weren't looking. Or maybe somebody "audioshopped" the music in. Or maybe it's just a cardboard cutout of an old man and not real. Or maybe he's real and there's a real person in the shack playing the same music over and over. There's no way to tell, I just know I like it!

Hopefully, y'all saw that other post from today and get my references.

• WDW will always be home.

Most likely your friend believes the man is Jean Lafitte, after whom "Lafitte's Landing" is named. This is a common but incorrect guest assumption. The man is unidentified - he doesn't have a name.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 08-31-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Disneyland History Lover

I don't know what his name is, but he and the playing banjo are a great touch to the ride. Not long ago, I heard a child ask his mother "Does he do that all day, Mom? Does he get tired?"

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    I don't know what his name is, but he and the playing banjo are a great touch to the ride. Not long ago, I heard a child ask his mother "Does he do that all day, Mom? Does he get tired?"
    When I was about 5 I went on with my mom, a friend and her mom and my friend told me it was her great uncle. I totally believed her.
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

• Infinitized!

People, you got it all wrong. That's Lonnie from Deliverance. When you hear that Banjo music, you better start paddling faster. I'd rather take my chances with the pirates.

Last edited by Barbossa; 08-31-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast