Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Keepin' it calsteady

Silly Stats: The Longest Walks in Disneyland

Ever wonder just how far you're walking at Disneyland? Well, Google Earth's magic ruler can help you figure it out.
    • The longest walk between any two rides at the Disneyland Resort is from Gadget's Go-Coaster to Mickey's Fun Wheel: 1 mile.
    • The longest walk between two Disneyland rides: Gadget's to Splash Mountain: 1/2-mile (Splash to Space is slightly shorter at 4/10-mile).
    • The longest walk between rides without leaving one land: Snow White to it's a small world: 1/8-mile
    Has anyone ever used a pedometer (or to be more modern, an iPhone app) to see how far they walked during a full day at Disneyland? A really rough estimate of a typical trip on Google Earth got me to between 3.5 and 4 miles without going to DCA.

(Oh, I've got a few more silly facts on my blog today, too.)

Re: Silly Stats: The Longest Walks in Disneyland

Yeah, we use a pedometer and on average we do about 6 miles. On a full day we have done 14. We also usually walk from the parking structure to the park as well (another 1/2 mile).

• Northwest Disneyphile

I brought my pedometer to Disneyland once. but it got stuck on my belt wrong and it only logged seven steps.
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

As far as one ride to another, in the same land, I wonder about Jungle Cruise to Indy, as Indy has one of the longest queues in all of DL. (and that's not even counting the ENTIRE queue length. I bet that might just beat Snow to Small World.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    As far as one ride to another, in the same land, I wonder about Jungle Cruise to Indy, as Indy has one of the longest queues in all of DL. (and that's not even counting the ENTIRE queue length. I bet that might just beat Snow to Small World.
    Google Earth doesn't have enough detail to measure queue length for an accurate door-to-door measurement, and even Indy's outdoor switchback rat maze is hidden by dense foliage on Google Earth. I encourage someone with a pedometer to measure it for us, though.

• when you wish...

No wonder I want to chop my feet off at the end of a day at Disneyland!

We've tried to bring a pedometer, but the movement from the rides (like Indy, for example) screwed up our results. Perhaps, we'll give it another try.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

• The Prince

Interesting post, I should try it with RunKeeper to see how much I walk when I spend a whole day in the parks. At least we're burning some calories.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by disneymademoiselle View Post
    No wonder I want to chop my feet off at the end of a day at Disneyland!

We've tried to bring a pedometer, but the movement from the rides (like Indy, for example) screwed up our results. Perhaps, we'll give it another try.
    DL is a BREEZE! Try visiting WDW, THEN you'll know why you can't get half the stuff done in the same amount of time that you can at DL.

• when you wish...

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    DL is a BREEZE! Try visiting WDW, THEN you'll know why you can't get half the stuff done in the same amount of time that you can at DL.
    I've been to Walt Disney World and didn't find it nearly as bad. Maybe it's because when I was there it was during a record breaking cold spell. The heat doesn't do your feet any favors.

I would venture to guess the distance from AK's entrance to EE is probably hovering close to two miles...brutal.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

My current record with my pedometer is 18,000 steps. Considering that about 2,000 equals one mile, that's a lot of walking!

Every single time we go, at the end of the day we have some discussion like "why didn't we wear a pedometer."

Bee1000: are those longest trips calculated "as the crow flies" or just using the available walkways? For some reason, I can't believe it's only one mile from GGC to MFW.... but maybe it's because of all the bobbing, weaving, turnstyle entering and exiting you have to go through to get there.

Great thread!

I tried to use MyTracks on my phone once. It probably would have worked but I would have had to turn it off on each ride since it uses GPS. I realized this when I checked the track it had been recording and couldn't figure out why I had walked in so many weird loops. Turned out it was recording our movements on Big Thunder! Not so good for calculating walking distance but great for getting the track layouts of rides!
    A friend of mine DID use a pedometer on a trip in 2009. I think she said she did 13 miles our first day. Sounds about right.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoom View Post
    Every single time we go, at the end of the day we have some discussion like "why didn't we wear a pedometer."

Bee1000: are those longest trips calculated "as the crow flies" or just using the available walkways? For some reason, I can't believe it's only one mile from GGC to MFW.... but maybe it's because of all the bobbing, weaving, turnstyle entering and exiting you have to go through to get there.

Great thread!
    The paths are based on roughly following actual pathways. Here's a screenshot of the path I used:

Name:  Map-GGC-to-MFW.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  123.0 KB

Wow, interesting post! I'm going tomorrow, maybe I should bring a pedometer with me
    Since this talks about the longest walk, any idea on what the shortest walk is? I'd probably guess the entrance from JC to Indiana Jones.
    And I think to myself: What a wonderful (Disney) World

Blog: http://stventurer.blogspot.com/

• Semi-Lurker

When I had an AP I would usually just walk around the outer part of the park clockwise twice, Then when DCA opened I added that on. Don't have an iPhone though I work for Apple these days, how far is that?
    When I did the walk from the old parking lot it was a little less than an hour, with DCA about 1 hour 15 mins. I always figured it to be somewhere around 1 mile with Disneyland, maybe 1 1/2 miles with DCA?
    I am sure MCers can pin point it to the foot, so bring it on!!!!

---------- Post added 09-02-2011 at 12:51 AM ----------

If you look at Google maps you will see that the OC is laid out in 1/2 mile grids, So from Katella to Ball is about 1 Mile, if you consider backstage areas, that cuts off perhaps at least 1/4 mile, all mileage considerations have to take that in consideration....
    Last edited by ExCandyMaker; 09-01-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast