Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: Eulogy SUNSHINE PLAZA(2-8-2001 to 8-28-2011)

I think I'll miss the Golden Gate Bridge with its cartoony look the most
    But the rest was horrible, thankyou Bob Iger for approving of this
    RIP Sunshine Plaza

About the only thing I will miss is the california music loop. I do have fond memeories of going to the park before it opened (a cast member preview day). Other than that, I am in awe of the fact that I have watched an entire area of a Disney park pass into Yesterland like Holidayland or the Indian Village of Disneyland.
    Hollywood Gift Collections
    www.startowngifts.com

• Dave

Blog Entries

I think Sunshine Plaza was Ok, but I really think Buana Vista Street will be far better, and I am looking forward to it.
    Dave

• -

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I think I'll miss the Golden Gate Bridge with its cartoony look the most
    Look on the bright side, we lose the bridge but get a beautifully unthemed cement freeway overpass in its place.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Fellow Disneyians. "Let us be glad! Let us be gratefull! Let us rejoicify that goodness could subdue, the wicked workings of You-Know-What." "No one mourns the wicked. No one cries 'They won't return!'. No one lays a lily on their grave." - No One Mourns the Wicked.

• Banned User

The murals are really the only thing I miss. I wish they could do something with those.

• Banned User

I just watched the BVS presentation at D 23 on youtube and all I can say is WOW! Its going to be an amazing area full of history, detail and a sense of place, everything Sunshine Plaza wasnt.

If they put in half the forethought (and guessing half the money) like they are putting into BVS, then we wouldnt have to see it get knocked down now.

What were they thinking when they built this area, no clue, but sadly it represented everything that was wrong with DCA 1.0...everything!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I just watched the BVS presentation at D 23 on youtube and all I can say is WOW! Its going to be an amazing area full of history, detail and a sense of place, everything Sunshine Plaza wasnt.

If they put in half the forethought (and guessing half the money) like they are putting into BVS, then we wouldnt have to see it get knocked down now.

What were they thinking when they built this area, no clue, but sadly it represented everything that was wrong with DCA 1.0...everything!
    Except for the off the shelf attractions and the pathetic themeing of paradise pier, because there weren't any attractions in the sunshine plaza. hmmm, perhaps the concrete and neon theme of sunshine plaza was a better developed theme than paradise pier!

• Banned User

Yeah true! Again though, I do have to give them credit because PP was EASILY one of the worst lands for me, bar none at opening...now a few years later its now easily one of my favorites.

Now we have real attractions: TSM, TLM along with Screamin and probably in a few years something will take Maliboomers spot. SSS is heads and tails above OS since its just wonderfully detailed and just real fun to ride. In fact, its something I do everytime now. OS I did litterally once. I can still take or leave GSS, but it at least better done than MM.

We have some great sit down areas that are beautifully designed like Paradise Pier Park and Paradise Gardens that are just nice to relax in or have a beer or an ice cream. Paradise Gardens has great restuarants that took the place of a McDonalds...a MCDONALDS!!! If that doesnt say how badly the direction of PP 1.0 went down in, nothing says it more.

And finally, the crown jewel of the area: WOC! That show alone not only transferred PP into a nightly hot spot, but DCA in general!

So when you see how great of a change PP has had in just the past 3 years alone, I think they will knock BVS out of the park and UNLIKE PP where they basically just threw a Victorian overlay over the area and updated the attractions, BVS had the oppurtunity to start from scratch so NO relics of Sunshine Plaza would exist in any meaningful way and that alone I'm grateful!

• Semi Back

This acctually existed? Jk but yes it was a neat area for me when I was 6-8 and didn't care about it being tacky and un-appealing to most. When I got older I started to dislike DCA more because it was "lacking" the Disney quality. Long story short yes it was tacky no it wasn't a horrible place to sit and people watch.

A touching tribute.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123