View Poll Results: Which do you like better - Traditional Haunted Mansion OR Haunted Mansion Holiday?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traditional Mansion

74 67.89%
  • Holiday Mansion

35 32.11%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Haunted Mansion: Traditional vs. Holiday Overlay

This topic has probably been beaten to death in this forum through the years but with the holiday overlay now being applied to the Haunted Mansion, am I in the minority or majority when it comes to preferring the Haunted Mansion Holiday version to the traditional ride? It has nothing to do with the Nightmare Before Christmas, Tim Burton, Jack Skellington, or anything else. I didn't care for the movie. What the holiday overlay does bring to the Mansion is color. The traditional version in its subdued shades of gray gets rather boring. The colorful holiday version makes a tired attraction come to life (so to speak).
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Minion

Re: Haunted Mansion: Traditional vs. Holiday Overlay

The overlay makes the HM too cutesy and Disney-corny. They could put that stuff somewhere else or make a show or parade out of it. And it forces the HM to be closed during the periods when they install and remove the overlay. They should leave the HM alone. I wouldn't mind them doing a general makeover of the HM though, which might breathe some new death into it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I must respectfully disagree on all counts of the normal HM being 'boring': it is sombre, yes, comparatively, to HMH. Not everything has to be loud or boisterous, and the HM does have a more fun/energetic scene in the graveyard finale.

I am also the opposite...I love Nightmare as a film, but it is a drastically poor match for the HM design style. I miss having normal Mansion for Halloween, and the mixture of characters is like if they added Captain Hook and his crew (cartoony) to Pirates with no stylistic bridge or match with the background 'realistic' sets.

Just my two cents...HMH can be fun, but is in no way superior or really improves/matches the normal Mansion experience for me.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

TRADITIONAL all the way!! The funny thing is, like RegionsBeyond, I too love the film The Nightmare Before Christmas. Since I am a big fan of the movie, I thought I would really enjoy the overlay. I was disappointed though. It just felt like slapping a big tacky sticker over a fine art painting. No offense to people who enjoy it, I can see how it is a fun change of pace. The overlay is one of the only reasons I personally choose to avoid the holiday season at DL though.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

The Haunted Mansion is SUPPOSED to be dull, drab, and gray toned! It's supposed to be an old mansion on the Bayou that's haunted, what other colors should it be?

I for one still do love the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay every year, though I know some people are getting sick of it. The argument that they shouldn't change it for Halloween because it's already the "Haunted Mansion" is a good argument, however I think the change-up every year just adds to the general Holiday transformations that go on in the park every year and which seem to be expanding year after year.

That being said though.. Haunted Mansion is still always better than the HMH.

And I say we all better enjoy Haunted Mansion as much as possible now. Because Disney execs have already said that they're planning to change HM like they did Pirates, based on the new Guillermo del Toro Haunted Mansion film he's working on. And while I'm sure the film will be great, it's horrible that they are going to change it to match whatever the new movie has in it...
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Normal Haunted Mansion all the way
    I hear Disneyland illiterates say it's Jack's House during HMH, which to me is more annoying than them calling it the "Haunted House"
    However, I have nothing against those who prefer the HMH
    And the people who think HM is too boring, there are attractions that are way more boring to me eg. FNSV, innoventions

• Minion

Traditional, definitely. I like Holiday enough, but honestly I wish they would just do it for Christmas ONLY like Small World Holiday. Having it from September to January just gets to be TOO long. Plus, you really can't get more "Halloween" than the original Haunted Mansion, so it's silly that they screw with it during that time of year.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by StarDustFairy View Post
    TRADITIONAL all the way!! The funny thing is, like RegionsBeyond, I too love the film The Nightmare Before Christmas. Since I am a big fan of the movie, I thought I would really enjoy the overlay. I was disappointed though. It just felt like slapping a big tacky sticker over a fine art painting. No offense to people who enjoy it, I can see how it is a fun change of pace. The overlay is one of the only reasons I personally choose to avoid the holiday season at DL though.
    YES!!! All true!!!

• Minion

I like them both but prefer the traditional. HMH is a nice change of pace, but like others, I'd prefer to see it JUST for Christmas like IASW. I hope they don't screw it up with the movie. Still, I think PoTC came out just fine with the movie tie-ins. I just don't want HM to get more goofy or cartoony.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Prefer the traditional Haunted Mansion for the reasons stated earlier. Wouldn't mind the overlay so much if it started after Nov 1st, allowing us to have the Haunted Mansion for Halloween.

•   
    • Minion

I like them both. I would rather see a NBC attraction out of the haunted mansion and somewhere else so i could ride them both at halloween.

• The kid in the back room.

I love Nightmare Before Christmas, but I like the traditional overlay more.
    Off to the Academy of Dramatic Arts in 2013!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Met Demi Lovato at DCA on 9/24/2010! <3
    ------------------------------------------------------

• My prices are INSANE!

Traditional HM for me please.
    Don't really care for the HMH overlay, but I'll just have to tolerate it for the foreseeable future.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

Overlay , much better

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Love my HM. I like the overlay. I have nothing against it.
    The only part in the ride where I want to get out and fix it is the graveyard. Just looks like sheets of cotton were laid down in a hurry without trying to give it a "natural" feel to it.

I'd also like to see a new ending to the HMH. Oogie is getting old.
    It was nice going each year and finding something new in the Holiday version (what, first 5 years?).
    Besides the gingerbread house, nothing really new pops up.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast