Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• -

Re: Anyone else looking forward to the return of the starcade?

If they bring it back, it better have the air hockey tables as well as the original Tron and Star Wars games.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by xthinkofmefondly View Post
    Is starcade closed? I just posted asked someone in mousewait and they replied that they had just walked through it and it was indeed open!
    The actual Starcade is open, it's just that they are selling merchandise in it. There are still a few arcade games mixed within the building.

I was told the main reason the Starcade has remained a store/arcade is because Disney wanted to have a large store open while the Emporium was being redone.

• Down Pluto!

Personally - I'd rather they use the space for something else (hopefully other than merchandise!). If I want a videogame fix I can go to DTD or Flynns.

Seriously - who goes to friggin DISNEYLAND to play arcade games? (rhetorical question) Like there isn't anything more interesting to do In DL or you can't find an arcade somewhere close by that doesn't charge you to get in the gate. I'm just sayin'...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Personally - I'd rather they use the space for something else (hopefully other than merchandise!). If I want a videogame fix I can go to DTD or Flynns.

Seriously - who goes to friggin DISNEYLAND to play arcade games? (rhetorical question) Like there isn't anything more interesting to do In DL or you can't find an arcade somewhere close by that doesn't charge you to get in the gate. I'm just sayin'...

Umm I do I go to DL to play some of the games in there. Where I live they took out all the arcade games in the mall. But I do which Disney would take out some of the games in there and replace them with new ones. Keep Ms. Pac-Man in there but take out some of the claw games and the ones that don't work in there anymore.

• DLR Enthusiast

Do they not have Dave and Busters, Chuckee Cheese, Peter Piper, or Gameworks in California?
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bamato View Post
    Do they not have Dave and Busters, Chuckee Cheese, Peter Piper, or Gameworks in California?
    Dave and Busters is my go to bday activity here in San Diego.

• Seeker of Fun

Such a waste of space!! Do we really need arcade games at Disneyland? Why in the world would you want to spend any time in there when the Magic Kingdom is at your fingertips!?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    Such a waste of space!! Do we really need arcade games at Disneyland? Why in the world would you want to spend any time in there when the Magic Kingdom is at your fingertips!?
    I go there when I have done everything I want for the day at DL or if I get board.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    I go there when I have done everything I want for the day at DL or if I get board.
    If you get bored at DL, you're going too often.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

ive seen a few people mostly in starcade for the machines to get the expensive items (lol) or ride the mine cart like simulator ride..

It does amaze me as to how over so many years Starcade has not once been considered for something else and is still standing fully operatinal today...

Now only if Disney can bring back the CD machines....

• Down Pluto!

I know how gamers are as I used to be one (snicker, snicker). Admittedly, some of my fondest memories are with the kids in the arcade at the Disneyland Hotel - the one that used to be downstairs in the building out in the hotel lagoon. They even had the Michael Jackson game when it was new!

If you remember that then you know how long it has been...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I don't get it, probably never will.

I dunno I'd like to see this space inside the park put to better use. Why not build a more elaborate perhaps Disneyquest Jr sized arcade outside the parks in DTD? Give a slight draw to DTD and whatnot as well as a place to hang around if you check in to your hotel but don't want to waste a park ticket just yet.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

We have younger members in our family who play in the arcade while the older ones are going on space mountain.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I personally think that Tomorrowland should have a Flynn's Arcade or nothing at all. Of course, we wouldn't see a Flynn's there until at least elecTRONica was finished. In any case, I'd like to see the arcade games from DCA moved there, along with some cutting-edge games. A nice mix of retro and modern. Purists might complain that Tomorrowland isn't being thematically-appropriate unless everything is futuristic, but honestly, vintage and retro is the cool, modern and hip thing right now...and I think that's going to stay, as it is not only fashionable but also eco-friendly. I'm kinda hoping that Tomorrowland could get more of a green theme going...they started already with the Agri-future thing, so now they just need to up the ante.

While I'd love to believe what this CM has said, I'm going to take it with a grain of salt until I see some photographs of some actual refurb work going on upstairs.

• Insomniac

I think all the CM meant by back to its original glory was that the merchandise stands will be removed. I could see that happening and would only require a few hours to remove them.

The one reason I feel that the Starcade is still around is because of its location. The reason it even gets visitors is because people are always standing around waiting for others who are riding Space Mountain and while they are waiting the take a stroll through the Starcade and play a few games. I'm pretty sure if Starcade was not making a profit Disney would have ripped it out years ago and turned it into an extension of Star Trader (which is what it currently is).

Starcade does not bother me, although, its space could be used for something else. I still am holding out hope that the success that Disney has found with Flynn's Arcade at ElecTRONica will convince them to transplant the games from Flynn's to the Starcade once ElecTRONica closes for good. The "games" that the Starcade currently holds are either out dated or just ridiculous and need to be replaced. The claw drop games lack theme or even prizes that match the area, the games have little or no futuristic feel to them, and by far the worst part of Starcade is the fact that they still have a Guitar Hero game that you can pay to play even though in Innoventions you can play Rock Band (the much better version of guitar hero) for free!

I've heard that because of code changes Disney cannot open the second level without major changes to the ramps. I do not see the Starcade ever regaining popularity enough to justify the construction costs that opening the second level would require. If the second level ever opens again it will not be for the Starcade.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast