View Poll Results: What would you like to see being offered at the Hyperion at DCA?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring Back Steps in Time

4 5.00%
  • Bring Back BLAST!

15 18.75%
  • The current show, Aladdin

20 25.00%
  • A new show to replace Aladdin

35 43.75%
  • Nothing, I think Disney could use the money spent on entertainement elsewhere instead

6 7.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: What would you like to see being offered at the Hyperion at DCA

I'd like Disney to use it as a real theater and hold concerts and such there. That'd give it a varitey of things.
    They could always use bands playing for them instead of for the House of Blues in DtD.

Realistically though...Mary Poppins might be good.

There will not be a Mary Poppins show at any Disney theme park for the next 10-20 years at least. The Broadway show is opening in November of 2005 and will then tour the country. It will not be considered as a new show for the Hyperion or any other American Disney park venue. Same with Mermaid. If people can see a shortened version of the Broadway show for free with their DCA ticket, why would they pony up $100 to see it at the Pantages? It's bad business.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I would like to see a full length Broadway show housed there. One of the stage managers once told me that the Hyperion could support a full scale show and I see no reason not to offer one. I think Beauty and the Beast or the Lion King would work very well- you could have 2 or even 3 shows a day with a rotating cast. Heck, why not do previews of Tarzan, Mermaid, or Mary Poppins there? It wouldn't have to be a permanent show, they could offer others, but it would have to be a long term engagement.

I've always thought that anything else is really a waste for the Hyperion since it is a fairly sophistocated facility.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

^Alas, they cheaped out when building the Hyperion (and all of DCA), they cut out the restrooms and the concession stands.

What they need to do first if replace the current queue area with another building the same height as the theater. Add the plumbing stack in one corner to service bathrooms on each level, and the concession stands, then convert the rest of the area to a lobby area (seperate areas for each level), plus add escalators and additional elevators for guests.

Once that project is done, then the Hyperion can handle events over 40 minutes in length....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Good points, I forgot about lack of restrooms.

Seems like such a project would be a good investment- Full length Broadway quality shows would certainly be a unique draw for DCA. Think of the extra revenue they could make on priority seating/dining packages.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Master of Disaster

I think they should have a rotating schedule of shows. Easy way to do it is base it on the seasons. do 3 month long stays. once the schedule is set and the stage props all made i dont think it would take more than a week to rotate out the stagesets and stuff.

winter - snow white (snow get it!)
    spring - alladin
    summer - BLAST!
    fall - mary poppins.

its been years since I saw mary poppins but doesnt she leave with the change of the season? haha.

• What have I done?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    ^Alas, they cheaped out when building the Hyperion (and all of DCA), they cut out the restrooms and the concession stands.

What they need to do first if replace the current queue area with another building the same height as the theater. Add the plumbing stack in one corner to service bathrooms on each level, and the concession stands, then convert the rest of the area to a lobby area (seperate areas for each level), plus add escalators and additional elevators for guests.

Once that project is done, then the Hyperion can handle events over 40 minutes in length....
    Yes the outsid eof the theater is a big eye sore. Once you walk in you can tell it was built on the cheap. (i.e no lobby and such)

Maybe they could refurb Hollywood and Dine to be combined into a Dinning package for these special events? Have it themed with Broadway props from musicals and such?

"This guy!"

• Banned User

hmm... maybe dark beer has the right idea.. possibly the courtyard thing is where they were suppost to have the lobby and stands.. (and rest rooms..)

and then have a better elevator system and escalators and stairs... cause it is strange to walk up a set of stairs.. then ride up an escalator...

• See Ya Real Soon!

I feel it is deffiently time for a change. Aladdin has had a good run but it is time for something new.

It should be a new original show. Not based on a movie. I never saw the "original" show of Steps in Time, only the one with the kids, but everything that I heard/saw about it sounded great. So maybe something along those lines should go in.

I say get rid of the whole building along with hollywood and dine and build a new e-ticket. Who needs a show? Since it's so cheap gutting the building can be eaisly done.

I know it wasn't incredibly sucessful, but I'd love to see Hunchback there. Giant ornate sets, some cool stage combat and stunt work, and those awesome choral numbers. And no, not like the Feast of Fools thing they had at BTR, something more Broadwayish.

Either that or have rotating shows. Comedy improv shows like at Pleasure Island, musical acts, seasonal shows for Christmas and Halloween.

• is confuzzled.

I'd love to see a show similar to "Disney's On The Record" there.

SoCal theatre rat chiming in.

The Hyperion is the biggest mistake in DCA. What it is versus what it could have been just brings tears to my eyes every time I see the facade. The only saving grace is that the theater is ALSO the easiest fix in DCA, if TDA would just be willing to throw enough money into it. And it would be a lot quicker than new e-tickets. It think they could fix it in under a year.

1--They need to do whatever construction is required to make it possible to run full length traditional musicals in the Hyperion (RR's, etc.) and to make 'outside' access to the theatre convenient.

2--They need to hire a full time, professional rep company.

3--They need to run a year round rep season of 10-12 shows, divided equally between 'day' shows suited for family viewing that can be purchased at the theatre box office for $5/seat by DCA visitors (shows like B&TB, TLK, or classic Broadway revivals like The Music Man and My Fair Lady) and night shows of more 'adult' shows (Shakespeare or other classics, contemporary straight plays, more edgy/contemporary musicals, etc.) priced at regular theatre prices. You can change shows out of the rep depending on audience reaction and ticket sales. TLK might stay in the repretiore for 3 years, while The Taming of the Shrew might only last a month.

4--Keep everyplace in Downtown Disney open late every night for "after-theatre" patrons--you could run one of the shuttles back and forth from the 'outside entrance' to DD. And there are already a grundle of places right across the street on Katella where theatre-goers could also go.

By putting a professional rep company in the theatre, you minimize the number of actors you need because they play multiple roles, but also make it possible for vacationers to choose from a WIDE variety of shows to see--someone staying at the Grand California for 5 days could conceivably see 10 shows. That's as much or more as some of the theatre tours to New York, and those are usually newer shows with a much predictable audience reaction. I think you'd see an immediate impact on DCA numbers.

A rep company also gives you the opportunity to bring in the "special guest star" who will only be in 1 or 2 shows. Imagine the huge opportunities in SoCal, with well known actors who can't or won't commit to doing a play every night for weeks on ends for theatre scale, but who could very well relish the idea of rehearsing for a couple of weeks, and then doing a show once or twice a week? A lot of film and TV actors got their start onstage, miss it, and would probably love to do it. Just off the top of my head, Tom Hanks (a 'Disney' persona if there ever was one) was part of a Shakespearean rep company when he first started acting professionally. I'm sure his schedule would never allow him to do a play full time anymore--but he might be easily convinced that he could rehearse for 2-3 weeks and play King Lear once a week for a few months!

It would be expensive to start with, but theatre tickets are expensive for a reason. And I think that "day shows" would definitely boost DCA attendance. Parents would pay to take their children to TLK, and either come early to ride some rides, or stay after to eat and play a little.

• What have I done?

While it would be a great investment for the company I doubt them doing this. I also believe we all here feel there needs to be a major change to that "shell of a theater" Hyperion. IE the outside lobby.

"This guy!"

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I HATE the interior walls of the Hyperion. Nothing says "too cheap to care" better than wire mesh walls. I've really enjoyed the productions in there, but I always feel like I'm seeing a show inside a barn. If you're going to give me a classy Broadway style show, at least make me feel like I'm seeing it in some place deserving.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast