Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remembering 9/11...was anyone at DLR when it happened?

I know DLR wasn't open for business yet when the attacks happened, but was anyone staying at any of the hotels? I know DLR closed and no one was allowed in the parks. I'm just curious what the experience was like...I can only imagine what the CM's/security staff went through.
    Well Gawrsh!

• Minion

Re: Remembering 9/11...was anyone at DLR when it happened?

I was at home at that time. I've made a decision not to visit Disneyland or other theme parks on September 11. It's not rather difficult but perhaps one day, my daughter might ask to go to Disneyland on that date, and I will explain why we will wait for another date.

• Banned User

Nope, was actually in Europe in Amsterdam at the time, but I posted in this thread because out of that day came one of the funniest things I heard said that day.

I was in bar looking at it like everyone else with probably a hundred people pouring into the bar because it had a big screen TV showing it. And there was an American girl sitting next to me balling her eyes out. She was beyound upset and people tried to comfort her as she couldnt stop crying. Anyway, we were watching CNN when the news came over the crawl that both DL and WDW have been shut down for the day and she thought that was beyound bizarre that it was even news and sarcastically said "Well we dont know where our President is or if New York will be left standing tomorrow, but its good to know Mickey and Donald are safe!"

Yeah, I laughed lol!

• "I Break Things"

My mom was scheduled to work Disneyland that day and I was home on military leave. We both had phone calls within minutes of it happening.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Goofy

it was my second week during my senior in high school and i woke up early at around 5 am and to find it on fire. then on my way to my english class at 8 am and watching the news at school.

• IPAC

This reminds me of how the news spread around the park when Bin Laden was killed.

• Minion

I have a friend who was staying in the Disneyland Hotel when it happened. He said Disney did everything it could to make the day as enjoyable as it could be for the guests. He said they had 'hundreds' of characters in the lobby.

• Disneyland Nut

Ironically, I was living in another state at the time and planned a trip with my DH and a friend to go to DLR and other places in SoCal for that very week. I hated flying and refused to fly out on 9/11, which was the day we were going to head out. Instead, we opted to drive and had to postpone our trip after the attacks.

We showed up at DLR (since it was closed on 9/11 and I think partially on the 12th?) after it was re-opened and I remember so many people being at the park. There were a lot more than I had thought would actually be there and it was most definitely a somber situation. But like it was said, Disney did everything they could to keep things "normal".

Quote Originally Posted by Raindown View Post
    This reminds me of how the news spread around the park when Bin Laden was killed.
    Funny you mention that...I was at Disneyland in line for the sneak preview of the new Pirate movie when all of a sudden people's cell phones started going off like crazy. It spread like wild fire that Bin Laden was killed.
    Well Gawrsh!

Quote Originally Posted by ewo1992 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that link, it was interesting to read about the experiences of the people in the article.

]

Quote Originally Posted by ewo1992 View Post
    That was a very interesting article. Thanks for posting the link!
    Well Gawrsh!

• Mostly Harmless.

I wish I could've been at DL that day, even with it closed it would've been better. I checked in to the base shortly after and was told to pack just in case. We ended up sending a couple helos up the coast just in case of an imminent threat to Seattle or Portland. It was a bit tense.
    I think that one of the things I remember most that day is that we all came together as a country. We all loved America again. That felt good, that's what I remember most. As I am writing this on the evening of September 10th (here in my tent in Afghanistan) I hope we can all remember the unity we shared that day and the days after. And I hope it never happens again...

Sorry, I rambled.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Minion

It's good to remember such a terrible event but I'm pretty sure Disneyland wasn't open at the time it happened and was probably shut down all day, so I'm not sure you'll get any stories from people in the park when it happened.

• in the Golden Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    I wish I could've been at DL that day, even with it closed it would've been better. I checked in to the base shortly after and was told to pack just in case. We ended up sending a couple helos up the coast just in case of an imminent threat to Seattle or Portland. It was a bit tense.
    I think that one of the things I remember most that day is that we all came together as a country. We all loved America again. That felt good, that's what I remember most. As I am writing this on the evening of September 10th (here in my tent in Afghanistan) I hope we can all remember the unity we shared that day and the days after. And I hope it never happens again...

Sorry, I rambled.

Wow. Thank you so much for your service to our country and our citizens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast