Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Some Romantic Ideas for 5th Anniversary First time Disneyland Trip

My husband has never been to Disneyland and so for our 5th Anniversary next month I am taking him on a surprise weekend trip to Disneyland! We got married young, and had a very short engagement, so we were unable to afford a honeymoon, so this is essentially our long overdue Honeymoon! I want to make it MAGICAL! I've done a lot of internet searches and searched many forums for romantic Disneyland ideas, and seem to be coming up with the same ones over and over, mainly "Eat at the Blue Bayou" which will be closed during our trip. I would really enjoy any little tips or hints for making this surprise fun, romantic, and magical!

What I have done:
    I looked at buying the Bride and Groom mickey ears for us, but found them to be more than I want to pay, so I am using my crafty skills to whip up some custom ones of my own. They are turning out to be quite fun, and it will be sweet to have something handmade to commemorate 5 years together.
    I also know to go check in at Main Street City Hall to get buttons saying we are celebrating and that it is my husband's first time.
    I decided to splurge and made a reservation at the Napa Rose for our Anniversary dinner.
    Just looking for any little tidbits that might add that extra romantic/magical oomph to our trip!
    Thanks so much in advance for your help!

• Banned User

Re: Need Some Romantic Ideas for 5th Anniversary First time Disneyland Trip

Congratulations!

I'd say you get fast pass for World of Color, but go early so you can get blue section (the best section) and then you can just be front and center while he holds you and watch the beautiful show.

Have fun!

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

It looks like you have it covered! Just don't miss World of Color!
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

We enjoyed wearing the buttons when we went for our anniversary.

Since it is your husband's first time there, maybe you want him to see many of the classic attractions. Or possibly, if he is not much of an attractions guy, I find that just sitting and people watching with an ice cream cone at the hub at the end of Main Street can be pretty romantic.

What kind of experience are you looking for? Busy and packed with activities, more leisurely, etc. ?

I love the idea of an ice cream cone and people watching! That sounds like something he would love.
    We have three day park-hoppers, plus an evening/afternoon the day before to explore DTD, and I would like our trip to have some downtime, leisurely stuff, while still hitting a lot of the must-see's for a first timer.
    I will make sure we do World of Color. Should I do the fast-passes or would you suggest one of the dining options? Was kind of leaning toward the picnic meal myself, but haven't made any reservations for it yet.
    Thanks for your ideas so far! Love the extra input!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

To me, romantic is planning as little as possible. Napa rose is great, as is World of color. Grab a map.....walk leisurely and plan nothing. Now that's sweet in my book.

• Banned User

I would actually go for the dining option. Though it's a little pricey, albeit not Napa Rose pricey, but well worth it to me especially the Ariel's Grotto option. It's about $40 per person for a... I want to say three course meal at least. The tri tip is amazing there. I've also eaten at the Wine Trattoria and I enjoyed Ariel's a lot more.

If either of you have an enjoyment of Tiki cocktails, Trader Sam's which just opened this past spring at the Disneyland Hotel is a fun place to relax. It was fun.

We've enjoyed the Catal restaurant in DTD, especially being seated outside on the balcony in the evening. It is a nice view of DTD, and because we ate relatively late that night, we did get to see the fireworks from where we were seated.

I'm usually someone who is jaded about fireworks, but the show at Disneyland, watching from Main Street, was really worth seeing. I think it will be a different firework show than it was this summer when you are there, but that can be very romantic (although crowded) too.

The Snow White Grotto on the Tomorrowland side of the castle is also a romantic spot. You can make a wish in the wishing well there.

• Gooseberries and Apples

Are there any particular Disney movies, themes, or atmospheres you both enjoy?

Knowing your taste a bit would help in making suggestions.

Unfortunately my Husband's mother was a little OCD and crazy and forbid most of the Disney movies from being watched when he was a kid. (Ariel and Jasmine dress inappropriately, Cinderella disobeyed her step-mom) She also hated Dr. Suess... But due to that he doesn't have many Disney memories. He does love the Disney Pixar stuff, as we have had ample exposure to that having two little boys. Not a big fan of toy story... seen it about 50 BILLION TIMES due to an obsessed almost four year old (born the day before our 1st anniversary!) and are kind of burnt out on that.

Also, if it helps, neither of us drink alcohol, and we are both vegetarians. We both love good food, games, people-watching, and my hubby is obsessed with Dragons.

---------- Post added 09-13-2011 at 11:49 AM ----------

Oh, the Hubs is also a geography major and is obsessed with maps, geography, transportation and history, so anything along those lines would be great. It's been 11 years since I last went to Disneyland so I don't remember a lot of specific things.

• formerly very helpful

Find a quiet spot, like the Snow White Grotto, the Hungry Bear Restaurant by the water, the fountain near Haunted Mansion. Hold his hands, look him in the eyes and say that marrying him was the best thing you ever did.
    Speaking as a husband, I can't think of anything in the world that would be more romantic than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ryaxmom View Post
    Unfortunately my Husband's mother was a little OCD and crazy and forbid most of the Disney movies from being watched when he was a kid. (Ariel and Jasmine dress inappropriately, Cinderella disobeyed her step-mom) She also hated Dr. Suess... But due to that he doesn't have many Disney memories. He does love the Disney Pixar stuff, as we have had ample exposure to that having two little boys. Not a big fan of toy story... seen it about 50 BILLION TIMES due to an obsessed almost four year old (born the day before our 1st anniversary!) and are kind of burnt out on that.

Also, if it helps, neither of us drink alcohol, and we are both vegetarians. We both love good food, games, people-watching, and my hubby is obsessed with Dragons.

---------- Post added 09-13-2011 at 11:49 AM ----------

Oh, the Hubs is also a geography major and is obsessed with maps, geography, transportation and history, so anything along those lines would be great. It's been 11 years since I last went to Disneyland so I don't remember a lot of specific things.
    Husband:

-See if you can ride the Lilly Belle on the Disneyland Railroad.
    -The monorail is fun but not very romantic.
    -Try the balcony seating for Fantasmic. Very lovely. (Though someone correct me if Murphy (the dragon) is not operating)
    -Ride the Columbia and Mark Twain. The Mark Twain has very lovely, intimate seating on the second deck.
    -Sleeping Beauty Castle is lovely inside and features a dragon transformation sequence. This is also a great place to steal quiet romantic moments.

Food:

-Here's a list of the current Disneyland menus. So that you can see if the above mentions for dining will offer a varied selection of vegetarian items.
    -I haven't been to the Napa Rose, but Blue Bayou has food that meets the standards of its atmosphere. But unfortunately it only offers one vegetarian dish.

In general:

-Many places in Disneyland become romantic at night. A Jungle Cruise at night is very different from a Jungle Cruise during the day. Things become a bit more intimate when the atmosphere lights come on.
    -Try riding the King Arthur's Carousel at night. Or riding the Tea Cups when the lanterns glow.
    -Fantasyland is my favorite pick for evening romance.
    -Main Street in the evening is also wonderful for sitting outside at a cafe and watching the people go by. The gas lamps come on, old time music plays, and you get to see people stroll by tired, but happy after their day. My husband and I would share a cinnamon roll and hot cocoa from the bakery and just watch the people pass by late in the evening.
    Last edited by Evening Star; 09-13-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar

Those are some great ideas! I am so excited for this trip, especially since it is a surprise! My husband was unemployed for two years and just recently go a job, so being able to spend some money on something like a vacation is wonderful! When for almost two years every penny went to paying rent and buying food, with no money being spent on extras this vacation is a HUGE DEAL. Right now is a rough time for us, as my hubby is working full-time AND going to school full time, plus I am going to school part-time, so we only see each other every other saturday, sundays, and federal holidays. Looking forward to four days away from the munchkins and just enjoying each others company.

Something I find sort of fitting and somewhat romantic: My husband and I met on a 13th, had our first kiss on a 13th, and got married on a Friday the 13th, so 13 is our lucky number. The fact that we will be spending our 5th anniversary at 1313 Disneyland drive makes me smile!

Oh that's so lovely about the number!

You two could also go by City Hall in the morning and get free anniversary buttons to wear for the rest of your stay. Tell them about "13" and they may (no guarantees) put the number on the button for you.

I don't have any other tips, but want to say Congratulations!

The Hubbs and I will be going for the first time together, while celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary at Disneyland this year too

You'll have a great time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast