Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Replace Classic Fantasyland Dark Ride Animatronics with Little Mermaid stlye ones

Would you prefer newer, more advanced animatronics to replace the older, more classic animatronics, or in some cases statues in the classic Fantasyland dark rides.For me I'm not too sure, there's some nostalgia about the classic dark rides.
    Last edited by ssaamm; 09-14-2011 at 09:28 AM.

• Banned User

Re: Replace Classic Fantasyland Dark Ride Animatronics with Little Mermaid stlye ones

Hmmm to me this is a tuffy.

Disneyland is supposed to be always growing and expanding until there is no imagination left in the world. So techincally that means that upgrading the FL rides is a good thing.

On the other hand...

If you took out some of the orginal stuff (excluding the outdoor facade and Pinnochio) it would like grinding up George Washington's wood teeth to wood chips. THATS HISTORY RIGHT THERE. You don't mess ith that. You perserve it. You cherish its importance of being there.

Personally, I say don't touch it. I love it how it is. I still get scared on Snow White, and emotional while flying over London. Now would I never go back to DIsneyland if they did decide to upgrade? Ofcourse not, however, I would be very sad to see it go.

• Minion

Re: Replace Classic Fantasyland Dark Ride Animatronics with Little Mermaid stlye ones

If they were to do it, I would prefer they wait until they have NextGen ready to implement in those rides
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Minor upgrades and constant attention to keeping it in tip-top shape. Please don't completely change the classics.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Minor upgrades and constant attention to keeping it in tip-top shape. Please don't completely change the classics.
    How is it "completely changing" to upgrade the characters, its not like the ride itself will have a new story or layout, just figures with more motion.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

noooooooooooo!!!! that would ruin them!
    oh, and it's "style" not "stlye"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    How is it "completely changing" to upgrade the characters, its not like the ride itself will have a new story or layout, just figures with more motion.
    Putting a technologically advanced AA on a ride that feels like it was made in the 50's doesn't work IMO. In a land that pretty much is built on old world feel and charm, something that futuristic would look like the Woody and Jessie dolls in Small world.....out of place.

• Minion

Why is it that Disneyland fans are so nostalgic to the point of rejecting upgrades and new things? You guys always wonder why DLR doesn't get the new stuff compared to WDW... Maybe its because unless it is actually bad, if added to WDW it is welcomed with open arms. But for DL, if it is an upgrade or change it is met with rejection before giving it a chance.

I know I'm not the only Disney fan that has noticed this, just listen to The Hub Podcast or Micecast to understand what I'm talking about.

More and more I feel like I'm one of the very few DLR fans that actually likes Jack and Barbossa in Pirates, or the changes to IASW, I make a game out of trying to spot each of the characters, it makes the ride tolerable for me, if the characters weren't added I guarantee I would never be going on that ride again dur to sheer annoyance with it.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Why is it that Disneyland fans are so nostalgic to the point of rejecting upgrades and new things? You guys always wonder why DLR doesn't get the new stuff compared to WDW... Maybe its because unless it is actually bad, if added to WDW it is welcomed with open arms. But for DL, if it is an upgrade or change it is met with rejection before giving it a chance.

I know I'm not the only Disney fan that has noticed this, just listen to The Hub Podcast or Micecast to understand what I'm talking about.

More and more I feel like I'm one of the very few DLR fans that actually likes Jack and Barbossa in Pirates, or the changes to IASW, I make a game out of trying to spot each of the characters, it makes the ride tolerable for me, if the characters weren't added I guarantee I would never be going on that ride again dur to sheer annoyance with it.
    Disneyland has a lot more nostalgia and that's why many cling to it's roots. I'm not saying I don't like the new IASW characters, I'm saying the Woody and Jessie ones are out of place. Much like a Buzz Lightyear type AA would look off in Snow White.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Disneyland has a lot more nostalgia and that's why many cling to it's roots. I'm not saying I don't like the new IASW characters, I'm saying the Woody and Jessie ones are out of place. Much like a Buzz Lightyear type AA would look off in Snow White.
    would a snow white as sophisticated as Ariel (part of your world) be out of place? Because I don't think it would be at all.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Banned User

I haaaaate jack and barbossa in pirates!!!!!!!!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

would a snow white as sophisticated as Ariel (part of your world) be out of place? Because I don't think it would be at all.
    Probably, because the only Snow white in that ride is the first scene with all of the dwarfs singing and making music. You'd have to upgrade all of them and even then, it's set in a very old style cottage and would look strange.
    Last edited by aashee; 09-14-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: singing not signing

• Disney Obsessed

I think if the entire attraction received the upgrade then it wouldn't feel out of place.... in fact it might be more submersive. If they only upgraded on AA and left the rest old school that would be strange. On any ride. That's my 2 cents and I'm jumping out of this one before this thread gets too out of hand lol

• Nutty about Disney parks

I think if the right animatronics got updated to be more fluid and less static than it can work. The one thing I worry is if these older rides gets too many CGI effects added to them that it completely takes away from believability. Animatronics are what make the dark rides.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Goofy

they should updated with the little mermaid technology on what they have on fantasland rides. like mouth movind and eyes moving. a screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast