Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Case AGAINST new E ticket for Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ I hear what you guys are saying, but IMNHO John had his hand in Nemo all the way up to his armpit. The way that attraction plays is as much his doing as anyone's. We'll see if Carsland lives up to its hype -- and humognous budget.

Over the last 20 years there've been any number of brilliant ideas advanced by WDI. The reason they haven't become reality is because the Company is too damn cheap -- and doesn't care about true innovation any more than its millions of customers do.

Disneyland went from a couple hundred acres of orange groves to a technological, creative and showmanship marvel that made kings and queens put it on their Must See list. They did it by innovating far above anything else in their time. Today's Disney is content to grow the easy, low-hanging fruit, and market it to customers who, by and large, are content to gobble it down as-is.

As a techno-geek and Disney fan who was regularly astonished by Disneyland's innovation, the most astonishing thing to me today is how people who grew up with Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Indy as the base-line norm are content to shovel cash at a company that isn't topping those classics every few years. Seriously, when it comes to the heavy R&D that results in rock-your-world innovation, Disney isn't even trying. (NexGen? Pul-leese!)
    Here's the thing.

All the brilliant people who may have at one time been with the company or who would have otherwise joined the company are now doing their own thing or are with Disney's competitors. So, now, Disney-style attractions and place-making are located in an increasing number of non-Disney places because The Walt Disney Company has been, and continues to be, so mismanaged that the institutional knowledge that was at one time proprietary is now available to the highest bidder.

If Disney won't create anything worthwhile, others will. And, in several cases, they already have.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 09-16-2011 at 05:55 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Seems like it bothers alot of you that DCA is getting so much attention recently. The implication here is that DCA is some sort of thief that took away stuff from DL.
    I don't see anyone being 'bothered' by that. DCA is getting a lot of upgrades, no one is saying that is bad that I see. You asked if people thought Disneyland deserved an e-ticket...they do, largely, is the consensus. Saying so is not mutually exclusive with bashing DCA...people love Disneyland too and want new experiences, separate from the DCA issue. One isn't dependent on the other to be true.

It can be a personal opinion that DCA wasn't very good to start...them improving it is a good thing. But that doesn't exist in a vacuum....Disneyland is right there across the way, and no reason it shouldn't also get new attractions, for the many reasons listed by others here. Just because DCA is doing something, doesn't mean Disneyland needs to sit still and get zero improvements...it has, but small things comparatively to across the way. It's not being 'robbed': but plussing something to make it even better when you don't need to is how Disneyland operated for years, and I am sure many here would like to see that mentality return.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 09-16-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    ....plussing something to make it even better when you don't need to is how Disneyland operated for years, and I am sure many here would like to see that mentality return.
    Very well said, RB.

I'm reminded of a quote about Walt's way of plussing Disneyland:

"The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need, and doing them well.
    And then you realize you needed them all along."
    - Ray Bradbury

---------- Post added 09-16-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 9906 View Post
    "E" Ticket Made in 1959 (monorail, matterhorn, Subs etc.)
    The Enchanted Tiki Room 1963 (4 years)
    Its A Small World 1966 (3 years)
    Pirates Of the Caribbean 1967 (1 year)
    The Hunted Mansion 1969 (2 years)
    Country Bear Jamboree 1972 (3 Years)
    Space Mountain 1977 (5 years NB: MK one opened 2 years earlier)
    Big Thunder 1979 (2 Years)
    Star Tours 1986 (7 years)
    Splash Mountain 1989 (3 Years)
    Indy 1995 (6 years)
    TBC (at LEAST 17 years!!!)

See The Math here....
    Yep. And aside from E-Tickets, if you consider Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln in 1964, New Orleans Square in 1967, an entire new Tomorrowland in 1967 and a rebuilt Fantasyland in 1983, the additions of the last 26 years (the Eisner/Iger Era) are even more paltry in comparison. Especially when you consider how many attractions and restaurants have been closed during the same period.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-16-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Disneyland needs to revert to its former business model with one-day admisson fees and some separate ticketing of attractions serving as the foundation of the price structure.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disneyland needs to revert to its former business model with one-day admisson fees and some separate ticketing of attractions serving as the foundation of the price structure.
    What, run the park the same way Walt himself did?

That's madness
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    What, run the park the same way Walt himself did?

That's madness
    "The horrible thought struck me — suppose the staff had finally conceded that I knew what I was doing."

Walt Disney, 1 October 1966

• Minion

I think that the OP, to a certain degree, is correct. It does not make financial sense to blow a ton of money on an E-ticket in a park that is not struggling while its next door neighbor is. To whoever had the list of time spent between E-ticket additions in Disneyland history, it seemed that the recent trend was around ever 7 years or so. Well, seven years after Indy was built, DL got a WHOLE NEW PARK instead of one major ride--it just so happens that they needed to spend all the subsequent seven years perfecting the latest major addition.

Also, it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint to tamper with a park that receives more visitors than any other park in the world (except its cousin). I understand that locals might get bored with the offerings every now and then but for tourists (even frequent ones like me) the ride selection is already solid and I don't need a new major addition to entice me to keep going back. Someone made a good point about new E-tickets decreasing people on the midways, but in reality, new rides bring in new people which would really just crowd up walkways even more, not to mention every other ride in the park, so capacity becomes irrelevent.

And for those saying that the company is getting less creative, I'd also like to point something out. Splash Mountain is a dressed-up log flume. Haunted Mansion and Pirates are glorified carnival rides. Indy is innovative in theming and technology, but it also is essentially Star Tours (its predecessor) on a track. I think that the company still has the same amount of creative juices, just not the room or resources to make new rides 'legendary'. And its the public's fault to some extent. It's a fact that rides with franchises attached to them draw more people in. Just think, would Star Tours' opening be full of fans and nerds dressed up that came exclusively to ride this ride if the ride was themed to something original? I personally cannot think of anything Disney can do now that would blow me away more than they already have--ride technology has pretty much reached its peak with Harry Potter, and now, there's virtually nothing theme park attractions can't do. So, I'd rather them take the time to think of something great then throw E-tickets in to fill a gap between a major addition and Indy's opening. And that doesn't take into account the state of its struggling sister.

• Banned User

Here's the case FOR a new e ticket:

a) It's a new e ticket!

b) It could replace Innoventions, or something equally lame...

• -

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    It could replace Innoventions, or something equally lame...
    Why not just crank up the speed in which the Innoventions building rotates. That would make Innoventions itself be the new E-Ticket as people try to hold on for dear life to avoid being thrown off the platform.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Dave

Blog Entries

Ok hear me out on this, does Disneyland park REALLY need another E ticket attraction any time soon? true it has not seen one since Indy, but the park already has more E tickets than any other Disney park, adding yet another one to its already huge list of E tix seems kind of wasteful, especially when you can put that money towards another E ticket for DCA which needs all the E tickets it can get.

Another point to consider, Disneyland is the primary park of the resort, alot of guests go to JUST Disneyland but that is not the case with DCA. If someone goes to DCA its probably because they have a park hopper. So wouldnt it make more sense to add another E ticket to DCA, which would ensure BOTH parks get the attendence bump? as opposed to putting the E ticket in Disneyland where people can skip over DCA easier?

Im not saying DL should never get another E ticket, I just dont think it needs one any time soon.
    I agree I would prefer maybe a new walk through or finding away to upgrade the people mover that is both ecinomical and complies ADA rquirements

---------- Post added 09-16-2011 at 12:59 PM ----------

I love the Sub ride and so do lot of poeple jusging by the always long lines. I love the technology they put into, and I think Nemo was a great way to get poeple intrested in a ride that had been all but been placed in Yesterland forever. So I think Nemo help convince the Big Wigs to bring back the ride and Love seeing that are back, but now I think it is time for Disney Imagineers to really use that technology into something speacial. Also I think the sub ride would make a killer Halloween attraction.
    Dave

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Here's the thing.

All the brilliant people who may have at one time been with the company or who would have otherwise joined the company are now doing their own thing or are with Disney's competitors. So, now, Disney-style attractions and place-making are located in an increasing number of non-Disney places because The Walt Disney Company has been, and continues to be, so mismanaged that the institutional knowledge that was at one time proprietary is now available to the highest bidder.

If Disney won't create anything worthwhile, others will. And, in several cases, they already have.
    your kidding right? Walt Disney Co is probably the best run entertainment companies right now. Id much rather have Bob Iger and crew than any of the suits over at Comcast running Universal.

Any company can throw millions of dollars at themed attractions but no other company can recreate the history and heart of what is behind Disney parks. Disney will always be top dog..sorry Universal.

• Closed Account

Seems like it bothers alot of you that DCA is getting so much attention recently. The implication here is that DCA is some sort of thief that took away stuff from DL.
    Haha no...not hardly. It's a double edged sword for me. I want more people to go over to DCA and free up the lines at Disneyland, but on the same token the more E ticket rides that go into DCA the more our AP's will cost next year and the year after that {on top of inflation}..Deluxe will be over $400 once cars land opens, and Premium will be over $600...

• Senior Minion

your kidding right? Walt Disney Co is probably the best run entertainment companies right now. Id much rather have Bob Iger and crew than any of the suits over at Comcast running Universal.
    Best run in what sense?

The most innovative? Nope.
    The leanest, least top-heavy with executives? Nope.
    The most marketing-savvy and profitable in the short term? Yep.

- Neil Gabler

If Disney was truly marketing-savvy, the company wouldn't have such a schizophrenic brand.

• Senior Minion

Schizophrenic sells. (Look at WalMart.)

- Neil Gabler

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast