Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Case AGAINST new E ticket for Disneyland

When people are asked what the name "Disney" means, one word should pop into their minds.

All the crap on which the company slaps the "Disney" name should either be distributed under a different brand or under a brand extension, if this dreck is even produced at all.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The most marketing-savvy and profitable in the short term? Yep.
    Show me a company that doesn't want to be known as the most marketing savvy and profitable. It's the short term bit that matters. How short is short term? Care to place a firm date on when you think Disney will stop being profitable?

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I could make a case both ways. Add on to DL and increase needed capacity. Add it to DCA, and make it a great park that can hold its own. THEN add the 3rd park!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

I agree with the OP. It is a no-brainer that customers will clammor for E-tickets until blue in the face, but think about this:

What is Disneyland known for?

Sure, you might think of POTC, Splash and Big Thunder, but didn't you think of the Castle? Didn't you think of exploring the backstreets of NoS or the fort on TSI? How about riding the attractions of yesteryear such as the Peoplemover? Would Disneyland be the same without nightly fireworks or Fantasmic! or a Parade down Mainstreet USA? What about a far to rare nighttime paddle on the Mark Twain or a keelboat tour on those same rivers? On that note, a Grand Circle Tour around the park on a Steam Locomotive or out of the Park on a sleek Monorail cannot be dismissed? Did you drive your first gas car in Disneyland, or did Mom or Dad have to steer for you? Whoa! is that Mickey I see, or Pluto maybe? Or maybe those character experiances hide behind a more prominent memory with the Dapper Dans or some other form of street entertainment CM.

Ok, so that was corny... But still, Disneyland is not fameous for it's E-tickets alone. One look through Tomorrowland highlights how drastically the little things are what need to be looked at in Disneyland. Thankfully, we have started to see these things taken care of! Don't worry about E-tickets. Lets look at the real Disney experiance and how the small things are what really matter.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    Care to place a firm date on when you think Disney will stop being profitable?
    Care to place a firm date on when you think Disney will stop being a Wall Street marketing corporation and start being Disney again?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

What if the Disney that was can no longer feasably be run?

Quote Originally Posted by 9906 View Post
    "E" Ticket Made in 1959 (monorail, matterhorn, Subs etc.)
    The Enchanted Tiki Room 1963 (4 years)
    Its A Small World 1966 (3 years)
    Pirates Of the Caribbean 1967 (1 year)
    The Hunted Mansion 1969 (2 years)
    Country Bear Jamboree 1972 (3 Years)
    Space Mountain 1977 (5 years NB: MK one opened 2 years earlier)
    Big Thunder 1979 (2 Years)
    Star Tours 1986 (7 years)
    Splash Mountain 1989 (3 Years)
    Indy 1995 (6 years)
    TBC (at LEAST 17 years!!!)

See The Math here....
    Some more math.. Look at the investment required to open something like the Country Bear Jamboree vs. RSR or TLM today.

Where do you think The Walt Disney Company is in its life cycle? Where is Disneyland?

How much value do legacy media companies, with their organizational authorship, add to content? Is their historical control of gatekeepers sustainable?

• Senior Minion

^ Exactly. And the key question: what, exactly, is Disneyland selling these days?

Not what its customers like to think it's selling, what it actually is selling?

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

Is there any successful, multinational, billion dollar company that doesn't fit the mold of a wall street, marketing corporation?

I feel like there is a vocal, conservative minority that post under the well meaning guise of true "disney purism". It is really very easy to throw proverbial stones at the current state of affairs of the Disney corporation, but apparently harder to accept that even though Walt's vision has been over shadowed by money and greed, it is still popular, perhaps even more so then it was in his time.

So I ask this of the Disney purest, Has there been any ride, attraction or event since POTC that has any worth what so ever?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Is there any successful, multinational, billion dollar company that doesn't fit the mold of a wall street, marketing corporation?

I feel like there is a vocal, conservative minority that post under the well meaning guise of true "disney purism". It is really very easy to throw proverbial stones at the current state of affairs of the Disney corporation, but apparently harder to accept that even though Walt's vision has been over shadowed by money and greed, it is still popular, perhaps even more so then it was in his time.

So I ask this of the Disney purest, Has there been any ride, attraction or event since POTC that has any worth what so ever?
    Define precisely "Disney purism" and "Disney purist."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

Well, imo, A Disney purest would be someone who bases all current judgements about the state of affairs of the Disney Corporation on an idealist model created in a much different time. There is no doubt that Walt Disney was a great man, but to constantly say that things back in his day is a fallacy as there is no way to know if it could be true.

There is nothing wrong in my mind with having constructive criticism about a place that you hold dear, but there is a fine line better looking at things critically and looking at things through rose colored glasses.

• Senior Minion

^ By that definition, your question above, "Has there been any ride, attraction or event since POTC that has any worth what so ever?" has been self-answered.

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

I suppose my definition of a Disney purest is self serving, but it still begs the question: Has the Disney Corporation done anything worth while since Walt's passing?

• Senior Minion

I suppose my definition of a Disney purest is self serving, but it still begs the question: Has the Disney Corporation done anything worth while since Walt's passing?
    Again, depends on your definition -- in this case, the definition of "worthwhile."

From what you have written, the "Disney purist" view of "worthwhile" is by definition invalid, because it is distorted by the "rose colored glasses" of "Disney purism."

Which is why your question "So I ask this of the Disney purist, Has there been any ride, attraction or event since POTC that has any worth what so ever?" is a trick question -- strictly a "heads I win, tails you lose" proposition.

There is nothing wrong in my mind with having constructive criticism about a place that you hold dear, but there is a fine line better looking at things critically and looking at things through rose colored glasses.
    The key question here is by what criteria and evidence do you presume to define what constitutes and does not constitute "constructive criticism," the precise location of the "fine line," and the mechanism and effect of "rose colored glasses" on people who you do not know?

Or is it rather what it appears to be on the surface, namely, presumptions about the motives of others, made for the purpose of supporting a pre-determined opinion?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-16-2011 at 08:13 PM.

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

I didn't realize my question required all the semantics of a supreme court hearing. I'll respectfully withdraw it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast