Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Early 70's Disneyland Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    No, it's a boy at a writing desk. In the 20th century most fine hotels had writing desks in the lobby areas. They were put there so that people could write postcards or letters home, and then walk over to the front desk and purchase a stamp and have the clerk mail it for you. Ocassonially the desks would also be used by businessmen doing some work before a meeting or conference. Big hotels also kept secretaries on staff that could be rented by the hour to take dictation or type up business letters.

If there are desks left in hotel lobbies now, they are wired up for computers and Internet so that people can plug their laptops in. But originally they were just writing desks.
    Such a charming custom! Funny to remember back to the 20th Century like that. Wasn't there a similar arrangement inside Disneyland at one of the shops on Main Street -- a writing desk and stamps for sale? Being able to see someone's Facebook update about their vacation is cool I guess, but, it's just not the same as getting a bona fide postcard in the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    Here are some shots from around 1970 depicting interiors at the Disneyland Hotel with an emphasis on the brand new Marina Tower. This new tower would now hold the brand-new Hotel lobby, Palm Court Lounge plus amazing colors and designs.
    I'm always interested in trying to visualize how the vintage layout in the photos maps into what is there currently (or what was there until they started the lobby refurb).

I can see how the front desk area has been redone to what is currently there. That seems pretty straightforward.

It looks like they built the Donald's Sundries store onto the end of the front desk area, right where the guy is sitting at the writing desk.

The third photo in Don's first post (with the giant glass bead chandelier and the sunken seating area). It looks like that was taken from about the vantage point of where the Fantasia shop is now, near its entrance into the courtyard. I believe you can see Sierra tower out the windows to the left, and on the right, just below the bottom of the bead chandelier is a set of doors out to the parking lot. I believe that is the main entrance. Does this sound correct?

---------- Post added 09-17-2011 at 05:41 PM ----------

And I saved the best for last. Does anybody remember this scene?

I don't remember it, was not fortunate enough to visit the hotel until the last few years.

But, as I said in my previous post, I really like trying to imagine it.

Where does this piece of the puzzle fit into the lobby?

My guess is that this is right when coming in from the parking lot entrance in the front of the hotel, is that correct? With the hotel desk if you were to turn right, and the sunken pit seating area with the glass bead chandelier if you turn left?

Is that glass bead chandelier seating area the Palm Court Lounge?

Sorry to have so many questions - just trying to get my bearings to let my imagination take me back to a place I never was.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    You're nuts! The 70's is where "style" was born.

And great music too!

Ah, yes, the infamous '70's style! The pantsuit on the left was influenced by the Barnum and Bailey School for Clowns.

Orange and Avacado were the fashion colors, along with multcolor green shag carpeting.

The styles in the 70's could best be described as a 1960's hangover.

Alice, the Mad Hatter and ALL of Wonderland were jealous of the styles of the 70's,
    Last edited by Aladdin; 09-17-2011 at 04:51 PM.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Not a criticism on the photos or Don here, but that's not at all how the DLH lobby looked. The color on these prints is 'wayyy oversaturated and the gamma is much too dark.

What hit you when you walked in was the architectural design and decor, not the color.
    With that being said, I can imagine the myriad of varying lineage in the design was just sorta a face punch when you first saw it. What I wouldn't give to have been able to see it in person. I'm all for retro but it seems the 70's never knew where to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by BonVivant View Post
    Let's not be too smug here in the 2010's, have you seen the Missoni Collection at Target? It's selling out all over.
    Ahh Missoni. The 70's lovechild clothing line. Their designs hurt like a hangover.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    With that being said, I can imagine the myriad of varying lineage in the design was just sorta a face punch when you first saw it. What I wouldn't give to have been able to see it in person. I'm all for retro but it seems the 70's never knew where to quit.
    But when one saw it in the 70's, it was neither retro nor face punch.

Be it architecture, automobiles or clothing, judging past standards of design by present standards, instead of by the standards of the time, is useless at best and temporal chauvinism at worst.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Looks like I really opened a can of worms. Do I dare post more of this type?

• Senior Minion

^ Keep posting!!!!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

I enjoy these pictures very much! I wasn't old enough to have actually stayed there, but it is nice to see how it (kinda) looked.

Yes! Yes! Please Do!

Yes! Yes! Please Do!
    How about some overheads???

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    But when one saw it in the 70's, it was neither retro nor face punch.

Be it architecture, automobiles or clothing, judging past standards of design by present standards, instead of by the standards of the time, is useless at best and temporal chauvinism at worst.
    I'm judging it from no time period at all. From a design point of view, this certain style is enjoyed for some aspects and disregarded for some aspects. As is every style. I'm just saying that most people, design folks included, don't normally rave about the 70's and its phenomenal design as a whole. Not to say that there aren't some likeable qualities.

Yes please

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Here are some overheads from later in the 70's....1979 to be exact in July.

---------- Post added 09-17-2011 at 09:27 PM ----------

---------- Post added 09-17-2011 at 09:28 PM ----------

And now from directly overhead, again July 1979.

I'm always interested in trying to visualize how the vintage layout in the photos maps into what is there currently (or what was there until they started the lobby refurb).

I can see how the front desk area has been redone to what is currently there. That seems pretty straightforward.

It looks like they built the Donald's Sundries store onto the end of the front desk area, right where the guy is sitting at the writing desk.

The third photo in Don's first post (with the giant glass bead chandelier and the sunken seating area). It looks like that was taken from about the vantage point of where the Fantasia shop is now, near its entrance into the courtyard. I believe you can see Sierra tower out the windows to the left, and on the right, just below the bottom of the bead chandelier is a set of doors out to the parking lot. I believe that is the main entrance. Does this sound correct?

---------- Post added 09-17-2011 at 05:41 PM ----------

I don't remember it, was not fortunate enough to visit the hotel until the last few years.

But, as I said in my previous post, I really like trying to imagine it.

Where does this piece of the puzzle fit into the lobby? (Please see my earlier post to see which photo I am referring to)

My guess is that this is right when coming in from the parking lot entrance in the front of the hotel, is that correct? With the hotel desk if you were to turn right, and the sunken pit seating area with the glass bead chandelier if you turn left?

Sorry to have so many questions - just trying to get my bearings to let my imagination take me back to a place I never was.
    Any chance of someone who had first hand memory of this lobby confirming or correcting my assumptions above? It would be great if possible!

Any chance of someone who had first hand memory of this lobby confirming or correcting my assumptions above? It would be great if possible!
    I believe you can see Sierra tower out the windows to the left,

The Sierra Tower is actually on the right in the photo

Yes

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Excellent photos, love the history in the photos.

Most definitely, anytime someone can create a thread that includes muscle cars, Marsha, avacado green and pantsuits, I'm all for riding it out.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast