Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Sickout on Christmas day?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Justin
    There are also the CM's who opt to work during the Holidays because they themselves are away from their families. So they figure "Why not spend them making other families happy and enjoy their time?" Those are the CM's I Love to work with.
    Wait... You mean to tell me there are people who don't think their place of employment should be all about them?!? You mean to tell me there are people who chose to work in the HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY who care about the needs and wishes of other people besides themselves?!? That's just crazy talk!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    They can take it off if they want. They likely get paid 1.5 or 2 times their normal wage, so they make the choice.
    Also, some people like to give on Christmas. In this case, it's to give people an open Disneyland on Christmas. is it wrong to give, and to such a good cause?
    when I was working at jobs open on holidays we were forced to work them. It was NOT an opyion and anyone calling in or not showing up was written up. I personally did not want to be there back then...actually I still wouldn't want to work. I'm very happy my employer pays us to stay home...LOL...and pays off so we can leave 2 hours early the day before a holiday so we have more time to prepare/shop for it.......I did quit one job when they said it was mandatory to work on thnaksgiving...NOPE, not me...see ya...LOL

• the F.O.D. solution.

Those considering a sickout should read the contract or speak with a union rep...would be a drag to get fired on Christmas!

I'm happy to be there on holidays. My family is far away, so it's either sit at home alone, or be with thousands of extended family members and making double-time!

I'd never participate in a sickout... I couldn't do that to the guests or fellow cast.

Those that are upset about us having to work holidays, don't be...we know we have to do it from day one.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000
    Wait... You mean to tell me there are people who don't think their place of employment should be all about them?!? You mean to tell me there are people who chose to work in the HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY who care about the needs and wishes of other people besides themselves?!? That's just crazy talk!
    Thank you! I myself am working on Christmas Day so that the 1500 people staying on property have assistance and so they may have a wonderful time on their vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• CM for 4 years!

I shant be calling out on Christmas Day. But hopefully they'll have taken into account my shift preference of not being scheduled until after 3 pm!!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Banned User

Aren't employees allowed to have time off if they have church or religious worships to attend to? I can swear I read that somewhere in general for all workplaces.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings
    Aren't employees allowed to have time off if they have church or religious worships to attend to? I can swear I read that somewhere in general for all workplaces.
    maybe in theroy, but at my last jobs you were not looked kindly upon for pulling that card so say goodbye to future opportunites as well as getting all crappy shifts....I'm really happy I don't have to worry aboutt hat anymore. I was so surprised when my work announced we all were to leave 2 hours early with pay the day before thanksgiving so we could have extra time to prepare for it...and they are doingan extra hour off with pay on 12/23...then my vacation starts..woo hoo..

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I have to say that I was pretty disgusted with the topic of this thread when it started. However, now that CMs have posted in I am more impressed than ever with the caliber of people we have serving at the DLR. It touches and humbles me. And makes me proud to know you.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I wouldn't work on a Holiday now for anything. I don't want to miss the few precious years I will have to celebrate things like Christmas morning with my little one. When I worked at Target, I pretty much told them that they could schedule me, but I wasn't coming. But they loved me, so they never scheduled me.

But when I worked at Disneyland (before I had my son) I didn't mind working holidays at all! In fact, I enjoyed it. It was a chance to give other people really special days. I always noticed that guests were even nicer and more appreciative on a holiday than normal. I still have warm fuzzies from my memories of days like Christmas and New Years working at Disneyland.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

I think that it is sad that anyone has to work on Christmas. I know that it means different things to different people, but ALL businesses should think of thier employees and be closed for the day.

To me, it's a day to spend with friends, family and loved ones...(and I know, some folks want to spend Christmas day at DL with their friends, family and loved ones. But that is another subject)

Employees deserve the Holiday off.
    Again, they make it very clear before you are hired that they are open 365 days, that Christmas is very busy, and that you will likely be scheduled that day. Movie theatres are usually open on Christmas, as are certain restaurants like Denny's. Also, do you really think that no one should work anywhere on Christmas? Would you like it if police, firefighters and hospital workers decided they didn't want to work on that day?
    What they should do, and I think they try to do this, is to assure that you have either Christmas Eve or Christmas day off. If they get you for eight hours, your family should get you for the other eight.

one job I had was way cool. It was mandatoryu that w=everyone had to work, but since everyone was working that day we were overstaffed...so everyone only had to work 2 hours...LOL...I guess because I wanted to be with my child so bad that working on the holidays just made me hate everyone who decided to go out to eat or shopping on those days. I was nice to them, but I hated being there very second.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheodore
    With all the labor problems at Disneyland does anyone think a sickout might be possible?
    Meh. Nothing so big. There will probably be more 'call-outs' than normal because many of the higher seniority CMs whom have been able to have X-Mas off in the past, don't this year. They generally have points to burn too. But nothing that would qualify a sick-out. Probably the average park guest won't even notice.
    Personally in stores, X-Mas isn't all that busy. Everyone has already gotten what they were going to. It's the days BEFORE and AFTER that its crazy. I plan and working, and enjoying myself.

• CM for 4 years!

I got a 12-4 shift on Xmas Eve... not too bad if you ask me!
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Does anyone know when the xmas decorations come down?

• CM for 4 years!

They should all be down on January 2.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast