• Banned User

Question Will Lion Kings Box Office surprise restore the classic franchises in the parks???

So I guess this is a weird question, but I'm wondering if you guys think that since Lion King has proven to be such a surprise audience draw after all these years if it could lead to a refocus on classic films in the parks, as opposed to Pixar. The film made more than double its projected grosses this weekend with its 3D re-release and I'm wondering if Disney will start to realize that its classics are still just as timeless as ever. Mermaid isn't the only film that can stand the test of time, folks and although I'm not sure where a Lion King attraction would go (as Adventureland is the size of a shoe box), I have a feeling we may see a look back into other films of yesteryear.

The Lion King 3D Rules Box Office Again | The Disney Blog

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Will Lion Kings Box Office surprise restore the classic franchises in the parks??

I feel very old now.

(To me, Lion King was among the "new" generation of Disney animation.........as far as I am concerned the "classics" ended with either Jungle Book or The Rescuers)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• All-American

Re: Will Lion Kings Box Office surprise restore the classic franchises in the parks??

Some would say they already have made a mini-return to the parks, with the Little Mermaid...

• WDW will always be home.

Hahaha, I guess I'm old too 'cause I have to agree with sleepyjeff here. I'm only in my 20s, but to me, "classic" means "while Walt was still around." The Little Mermaid started "the second golden age of Disney animation" of which The Lion King is a part. Pretty much anything in between those two categories is best left there...

I don't think there was ever much doubt that TLK was popular. Disney wouldn't have re-released it if they didn't think it was popular. To me, the question isn't, "is it a viable franchise?" The question is, "what compelling attraction concept could make good use of it?" It doesn't matter how popular the franchise is; if it's not a good attraction, it's going to suck, and it's a misdirection of resources. MK used to have a Lion King stage show in Fantasyland that was pretty awful. Now there's a very good Lion King stage show in DAK that's excellent (and uses recycled floats/costumes from the excellent Lion King parade that used to run at DL). To me, I just don't see TLK as good source material for a compelling dark ride or other more traditional form of attraction. It doesn't mean TLK isn't popular or a good film, but like I said, if you can't come up with a good attraction, it's not worth it.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

I agree, so for arguments sake, I'm guess I'm saying does this show that it's worth making a quality attraction? This question is getting vaguer by the minute. haha

• Banned User

Sure! There's tons of merchandise that they can slap these franchises on, why not?

• Disneyland History Lover

I think it's a possibility we'll see more park tie-ins. To what extent, who knows. I think if nothing else, there's a good chance that Disney will re-release other popular films from the past in 3D.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    So I guess this is a weird question, but I'm wondering if you guys think that since Lion King has proven to be such a surprise audience draw after all these years if it could lead to a refocus on classic films in the parks, as opposed to Pixar. The film made more than double its projected grosses this weekend with its 3D re-release and I'm wondering if Disney will start to realize that its classics are still just as timeless as ever. Mermaid isn't the only film that can stand the test of time, folks and although I'm not sure where a Lion King attraction would go (as Adventureland is the size of a shoe box), I have a feeling we may see a look back into other films of yesteryear.

The Lion King 3D Rules Box Office Again | The Disney Blog
    I went and saw it in 3-D. One of the great films by Disney. I'm shocked Disney doesn't use more of Lion King.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• -

How about an original ride instead of one based on a character? We just got a Mermaid ride and we are about to get a whole land based on a Disney movie. Where are the original rides like Pirates, the Keel Boats, and Tiki Room?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."