Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grand Californian Hotel Question

First time poster! We have always gone to Disneyland Hotel for our vacation and it will be our first time at Grand Californian Hotel. Is the hotel really worth the price? One thing I am most concerned with is our view type. We got theme park view but few of acquitences told us that most of them are tree view. Is that true? Thank you.

• ---------------

Re: Grand Californian Hotel Question

I've only stayed there once. We got the view of the parking lot and paid $450 per night.
    So for us, no it wasn't worth the price.
    My favorite part of the hotel is the lobby.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

This is a great hotel, worth the price. The Ritz Carlton Laguna, Montage and other 4/5 star resorts can be compared. Since you have literally NO OTHER option for a lux hotel near the parks, simply put it's worth it.

It would be interesting if you pnmkim, would come back and tell us if you thought it was worth the price. We usually stay there as part of a conference so we get a better rate and at the better rate, I say yes it is worth the price but the view has never been anything to write home about on our visits. I like it for the ambiance and the proximity to the parks. It is the only On property hotel with it's own entrance to the parks (even if it is just DCA).

• Minion

We stay there but on the DVC side and from that perspective it is very worth it! The park views unles on the top flow are going to be tree obstructed because it is not a tall building. I however think it is one of the best resort hotels out there and especially at Disneyland. Hope you have a great time.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Minion

I really like this hotel the room isn't worth the price alone but the location, extra entry into DCA, and views all over is worth the price

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

The price difference between the Disneyland Hotel and the GCH isn`t that much , the jump in ambience is much greater, especially if you have kids. We`ve always booked rooms when they offer discounts and mostly during the off season like the week after Thanksgiving or after spring break. We payed $311 per night which included all taxes and fees. Christmas we payed alot more.

We had a park view at the new Villas section for Christmas and was on the second floor looking at the back side of Goofys Ski School. We had booked standard view and this is where they put us, we didn`t pay extra for park view and the view from there wouldn`t have been worth the extra cost. If you payed for park view and got something higher up and more to the East then it might be worth it.

Several times we booked standard view and gotten the court yard which was cool because the Monorail runs right thru there and we watched from the fourth floor. Another time we were up graded from standard to pool view which was very nice, we could see Grizzly Peak , Tower of Terror and Redwood Creek from the fifth floor. I think the city/street view and the downtown view wouldn`t be very good.My mother in law got downtown view and she said it was looking at the rooftops. We`ve always booked standard and never been dissappointed.

I`ve stayed at all three Disney hotels and GCH is my favorite. With kids, having the park entrance next to Grizzly Peak is great, you can run in after getting soaked and change.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    This is a great hotel, worth the price. The Ritz Carlton Laguna, Montage and other 4/5 star resorts can be compared. Since you have literally NO OTHER option for a lux hotel near the parks, simply put it's worth it.
    Very true. The Pelican Hill Resort in Newport Beach recently received a AAA 5 Diamond award for the third year in a row. This is a fabulous resort, and many celebrities have been choosing it for their "staycations" lately. It is about 25 minutes from DL which isn't a bad thing since it can take just as long at WDW get from your hotel to one of the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by pnmkim0530 View Post
    Is the hotel really worth the price?
    No one can answer that but you. I can tell you that other than one trip before it was open, my family has always stayed at GCH. For us, it has been well worth the price. On our most recent trip was this past Spring when we stayed in the DVC wing and loved it.

The grounds are wonderful, as is the lobby, the perks are pretty cool (private park entrance, fast passes for WoC, various kids programs, WoC viewing deck in the DVC wing), and the level of service has always been outstanding.

But "worth" is something that you have to decide for yourself.

Brian
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My Avatar: Duck vs. Monorail, Disneyland 3/18/11

You get what you give.

Be sure to utilize the DVC wing upper level patio for some supreme WOC viewing. Enjoy the White Water Snacks, ask about the Concierge services. Eat dessert at the Napa Rose. Enjoy a beverage by the outdoor fireplace. Participate in the sing along inside. Do the magic morning, come back at 1:00 and nap for an hour.

Make the money spent, work for you.

• The magic is in the shoes

Best thing about the hotel is White Water Snacks. Get the nachos. With chicken. I am craving them, now. Awesome. But the hotel is pretty nice, I like it.

During the night time though it reminds me of the shining. So..

• Disneyland fan since 1967

GCH is a very nice hotel. Quality is top notch - beautiful lobby, great restaurants, unbeatable proximity to the Parks (especially DCA, with the attached entrance near White Water Snacks). We have stayed there twice with our young kids, and it is a blessing to be able to retreat to the room during the early afternoon when the crowds are most unmanageable in the Parks. White Water Snacks is a great little place to grab a quick breakfast or a burger for lunch; prices are reasonable compared with eating in the Parks.

All of that said, I was disappointed with our Theme Park View room on the one trip we availed ourselves of it. We were on the Fourth Floor but still had only a "peek-a-boo" view of Grizzly Peak and (if you went out on the balcony) a side view of Soarin' Over California's airplane hangar building. Not exactly like looking down on Main Street or the Sleeping Beauty Castle, if you know what I mean. The trees were definitely the biggest part of the view for us, and in our more recent trip I saved the $80-$100 per night and went for a regular old "resort view" room.

If you go during the non-peak season, you can usually get rates between $280 and $330 per night for GCH, which is about 25-30% off the regular price of $400-$425 per night in our experience.

This coming trip, we're returning to the Anaheim Camelot Inn & Suites, because it's $119 per night and comes with a basic breakfast - i.e., it's our "budget" trip shortly after Thanksgiving, so we can spend more on food and souvenirs.

All in all, GCH is worth it if you avail yourselves of its big advantages. We will definitely stay there again someday. Have a great trip!
    Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Last year my family and I stayed there on the 3rd floor, right above where Grizzly River loads......the view was obstructed by trees, yes, but it was still quite magical....out on the patio you could hear the guests, the music, and the rushing water.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

But, in years past we've stayed in courtyard view rooms and they are pretty nice too......and they cost a bit less as well.

Hope you have an awesome trip and don't forget to relax by the pool for at least an hour a day.......don't want to go home more exhausted than when you arrived
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Down Pluto!

The value of the GCH really depends on your valuation of money and time. For vacationing folks who spend 'some' time in the parks and take advantage of what the hotel has to offer - it can be a reasonably good value. If however, you are like me and my family - we maximize our time in the parks and use the hotel for sleeping, changing, and showering. We spend only as much time in the hotel as needed. In our case we seek reasonably good accomodations for a better price. For us staying at GCH would be a tremendous waste of money.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

We have stayed at the Villas a couple of times. I actually prefer either the Pier or the Disneyland Hotel. I've never been a Posh Resort kinda person, though the entry to Cal Adven is nice. If I had my druthers, I'd stay at DH.

Here are two pics of the view from our room. This was before World of Color was finished being built. Once it was done, we could watch it from the balcony. At the time we did not know you could hear the music through the TV, so it was just a light show for us.

Name:  DCA_Villas_Room_View1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  202.9 KB

Name:  DCA_Villas_Room_View2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  191.2 KB

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast