Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Joe Flowers

Minnie's Moonlit Madness 2011, Disney Cast Member's After Hours Scavenger Hunt

[edit: An earlier version of this was titled 2001, prompting some confusion in later posts]

On July 8th, our team captain found the following message on the Disney Backlot page.

Minnie Lives
    4d696e6e69652773
    4d6f6f6e6c6974
    4d61646e657373
    30392e31332e3131

>:\ EXO DCHE
    [end of line]

This worked out to
    HEX CODE
    4d696e6e69652773 = Minnie's
    4d6f6f6e6c6974 = Moonlit
    4d61646e657373 = Madness
    30392e31332e3131 = 09.13.11

Sweet! Obviously we've got a TRON theme going on this year.

For those who don't know, Minnie's Moonlit Madness is a cast-members (and their friends) only scavenger hunt around Disneyland after the park has closed for regular guests. It's similar to the MouseAdventure that is hosted by another site. Registration is limited to only ~350 teams of 4, and a part of the $75 registration fee goes to charity. This year the charity was the Boys and Girls Club of Anaheim.

Name:  Minnie-27.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  67.8 KB

Another great part of this event is that you can dress up as a team. Our team wasn't quite TRON themed, but we still got a lot of compliments. Can you guess which Disney characters our costumes are based on?
    Name:  Minnie-16.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  98.7 KB

Our captain waited in line with all the other captains and they started handing out race packets at 8pm.
    Name:  Minnie-10.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  102.2 KB

Of course we had to stop at the Bank of Main Street and get a photo in the vault
    Name:  Minnie-11.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  91.9 KB

A few quick photos in front of the castle and we're ready to go!
    Name:  Minnie-13.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  Minnie-17.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  38.5 KB

Everything starts back at the festival arena inside Big Thunder Ranch. Disneyland Cast Members were at all the major bottlenecks checking to make sure everyone had wristbands.
    Name:  Minnie-20.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  40.0 KB

We made it to the festival arena and started going through our package.
    Name:  Minnie-41.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  135.8 KB

A Disneyland map, flashlight, lanyard, scantron sheet, pencils, and a sealed clue envelope.
    Name:  Minnie-28.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  108.8 KB

Then our host for the evening came out. His name was "Clue", not to be confused with "Clu" from TRON. After a few bad jokes, representatives from the Boys and Girls Club of Anaheim came out and were given a giant check for $5500. And because it's Disney, they wanted to give them another big surprise: another check for $10,000!
    Name:  Minnie-29.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  92.2 KB

Then it was time for trivia! We were told to pull out our scanTRON slip... haha.
    Trivia was 50 multiple choice questions shown on projection screens. Each question was only shown for ~30 seconds and they never repeated any questions. All the questions can be seen by clicking here.
    Here's the first 5.

1. What Disney channel original series features two best friends on a dance show?
    a. sonny with a chance
    b. the suite life on deck
    c. shake it up
    d. phineas and ferb
    e. Hannah Montana

2. Which of the following Disney produced films has not been made into a production on Broadway
    a. The Lion King
    b. Beauty and the Beast
    c. Finding Nemo
    d. Tarzan
    e. Mary Poppins.

3. In which California city is the Walt Disney family museum located
    a. Burbank
    b. San Francisco
    c. Emeryville
    d. Anaheim
    e. Glendale

4. who is not a member of captain eo's crew?
    a. major domo
    b. commander bogg
    c. hooter
    d. minor domo
    e. fuzzball

5. what abc family original series is based on a series of novels?
    a. the secret life of the American teenager
    b. melissa and Joey
    c. pretty little liars
    d. make it or break it
    e. Greek

Some of the questions were pretty easy, but a few were just evil.

8. what is the computer operating system displayed on the console in Kevin Flynnís hidden lab in the film tron legacy?
    a. pc dos 1.1
    b. solaros 4.0.1
    c. Atari 2600
    d. apple dos 3.3
    e. Mac os 6

Seriously? I went and looked at the movie later. It was on the screen for less than a second and it was covered with dust!

32. the musical duo known as daft punk is comprised of French musicians thomas bangalter and
    a. guy-manuel de homern-christo
    b. christo-manuel guy de homen
    c. manual-christo homen de guy
    d. guy-christo manuel de homen
    e. christo guy yuno hooman

Really???

After trivia, it was time to star the rest of the hunt. These images started rotating on all the screens and we were told we could open our first envelope.
    Name:  Minnie-32.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  101.3 KB
    Name:  Minnies-clue-01.png
Views: 778
Size:  29.8 KB

A quick look at the map, and we were headed to Pirates of the Caribbean. As soon as we left the Festival Arena, we had to be clipped together.
    Name:  Map.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  152.2 KB

At Pirates, there was a sign with the word Quorra on it. We wrote this on our envelope and made our way to the hub.
    Name:  Minnie-31.jpg
Size:  131.0 KB

The Hub is always a frantic mess. Imagine 350 teams with 4 team-members each all tied together and trying to weave in and out of the same space. And it's a race, so everyone is trying to hurry.
    Name:  Minnie-38.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  115.2 KB

The rest of the hunt was on! You only get 1 clue at a time, so you have to be confident in your answer when you turn it in. Here's a small sample of the questions. You can click here to see all the questions we got, including a new type of clue using a QR code reader and our smartphones.

Name:  Minnies-clue-17.png
Size:  204.8 KB

Name:  Minnies-clue-29.png
Views: 774
Size:  208.1 KB
    Name:  Minnies-clue-32.png
Views: 772
Size:  236.5 KB

2 hours passed super quick. My team was able to get through all 10 hard clues and even finish with a few minutes to spare! We turned in our last clue and our rope and grabbed a few more team photos on Main Street.
    Name:  Minnie-40.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  119.1 KB

And then we waited for the results. They were supposed coming out on Thursday. Last year they were available at 10am on Thursday. This year though, there seemed to be a few issues. An update was posted on the Cast Member homepage saying the results would be out on Friday. After no results on Friday, results finally came out Monday afternoon. Obviously something weird was going on with the scoring.

So what were the total possible points? Before the race began, each captain had to choose 10 questions as either Easy or Hard. The 10 could be all Hard, all Easy, or any combination thereof.

Easy Questions = 100 points. Up to 1000 points
    Hard Questions = 125 points. Up to 1250 points
    Trivia Questions = 3 points each, 150 possible points total
    Question #1 (not part of the 10) = 100 points
    Turning in your rope before time expires = 100 points

The maximum anyone could get is 1600 points.
    Name:  Rank.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  111.6 KB

Two teams tied for first place! They took all Hard questions and answered 42/50 trivia questions correctly. Very impressive!
    And how did we do?
    Name:  Rank1.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  19.1 KB

28th out of 350. Not too bad at all, though I do think there might have been an issue with the scoring. According to our score, we missed a 100 point question, which was either the first question (going to Pirates) or turning in the rope on time (which we did). I'm guessing this was the issue they were having with scoring and the reason the results were delayed. It also looked like 3 of the top 10 teams also missed a 100 point question, which is really odd.

Even still, we all had a great time running around Disneyland! We're all definitely looking forward to doing this again next year!

If anyone else here participated, I'd love to hear your stories. Or if you still happen to have your clues from that night, I'd love to see what questions we didn't get.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

re: Minnie's Moonlit Madness 2011, Disney Cast Member's After Hours Scavenger Hunt

I'm confused.

You've written 2001
    but all the printed materials from Disney say 2011.

Thanks for sharing by the way.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Joe Flowers

re: Minnie's Moonlit Madness 2011, Disney Cast Member's After Hours Scavenger Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    I'm confused.

You've written 2001
    but all the printed materials from Disney say 2011.

Thanks for sharing by the way.
    Whoops... How embarrassing. No way to edit titles on things you've already posted is there?

Maybe a moderator can change that for me?

Figured you were talking about this year's event since it did happen a little while ago. Glad to see that you guys had a blast, and I love your team's costume. Haha. Hopefully i'll be doing it next year if I manage to get a team together.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Great job! Our team - "Riddikulus!" - got 36th. Although, our scoring looked funky, too. Oh well, the fun is in the running around dressed up and solving puzzles. We had a blast, too!
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• DL ODV CM

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post
    28th out of 350. Not too bad at all, though I do think there might have been an issue with the scoring. According to our score, we missed a 100 point question, which was either the first question (going to Pirates) or turning in the rope on time (which we did). I'm guessing this was the issue they were having with scoring and the reason the results were delayed. It also looked like 3 of the top 10 teams also missed a 100 point question, which is really odd.
    I'd have to agree that scoring this time around felt a bit off...but as one of those top 10 teams that placed under 1500 points, I can attest that our score is accurate as we actually did mess up one of the hard clues. Your score however strikes me as rather odd, unless you also missed a hard clue you definitely should have more then 1327 points.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by Polar33 View Post
    I'd have to agree that scoring this time around felt a bit off...but as one of those top 10 teams that placed under 1500 points, I can attest that our score is accurate as we actually did mess up one of the hard clues. Your score however strikes me as rather odd, unless you also missed a hard clue you definitely should have more then 1327 points.
    Here's the breakdown as I figure it for our score.

9 Hard Questions * 125 points = 1125 points
    34 Trivia questions * 3 points = 102 points
    Turning in the rope = 100 points

Total is 1327 points, so I can only guess it was that first 100 point question.

You must have finished 7th. Congratulations! And you got 44/50 trivia questions right! That's incredible!

Just curious, which question did you miss? Did you have different questions than we did, and did you happen to save any of them?

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    Great job! Our team - "Riddikulus!" - got 36th. Although, our scoring looked funky, too. Oh well, the fun is in the running around dressed up and solving puzzles. We had a blast, too!
    Congrats! Did you guys dress up too? If your team got 1318 points, then I agree, it looks off as well.

But yes, it's all fun no matter what the score says. This was my second year doing it and it's always been a blast. Did you happen to save any of your clues?

I absolutely love your costumes. How creative to pick such an obscure group of characters!!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Oh I would die to do something that fun! Please someone invite me!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• "I Break Things"

2001... wow and I thought my TR was being posted late!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• DL ODV CM

You must have finished 7th. Congratulations! And you got 44/50 trivia questions right! That's incredible!

Just curious, which question did you miss? Did you have different questions than we did, and did you happen to save any of them?
    Thanks. It's not our best overall finish, but it is the best we had ever done on trivia, so I'm still considering it a win.

The clue we missed was the End Of Line Escape. We weren't completely confident with our answer when we turned it in, but it was all we had at the time so we played the odds game and lost. Really wish we gave it a second glance now that we know that it cost us first place, good old hindsight.

Our clues were pretty much the same as the ones you posted. We had one other one where we had to put together a double sided puzzle comprised of light cycle trails that ultimately spelled out "Write Rinzler". We also had another clue that gave us a grid of letters and gave coordinates and directions around the letter grid that would ultimately form a question that we had to answer. Due to the way we wrote on it however the page is completely illegible now however.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Congrats! Did you guys dress up too? If your team got 1318 points, then I agree, it looks off as well.

But yes, it's all fun no matter what the score says. This was my second year doing it and it's always been a blast. Did you happen to save any of your clues?
    We made t-shirts, we didn't go full costume. But each one of us had a badge for our particular Hogwarts house (since we legitimately had one of each) and we got lots of compliments.

I didn't keep any of our clues, we had the same "TronTron" puzzle, plus a few of the word search games, and on one puzzle we had to TRANSLATE BINARY CODE to get "write Flynn". It was SO hard! My favorite was the one where you had to walk around the Matterhorn to find eight different numeric answers ("How many caterpillar shoes are on top of Alice's mushroom?" & "What number is the monorail beam closest to the lagoon?" etc), then add those 8 numbers (which came out to 300+) then count the shields on the entrance of the Matterhorn from right to left and DRAW the shield you land on when you reach whatever that 300+ number was.

We were disappointed because last time we played (two years ago) we got 9th place! But this year's game was harder and more fun than that one, so we're pleased.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Some imagination, huh?

Congrats on doing so well! And thanks for all the awesome pictures

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by Polar33 View Post
    The clue we missed was the End Of Line Escape. We weren't completely confident with our answer when we turned it in, but it was all we had at the time so we played the odds game and lost. Really wish we gave it a second glance now that we know that it cost us first place, good old hindsight.
    That's a bummer. That one took us a while too. Luckily someone in our group had done logic problems before and was able to work it out after a while.

We ended up missing the "Shaping Up" question. There were just too many possibilities in George Bruns last name. We didn't recognize him (the clue did say it was obscure), so we guessed wrong. Hoping for better luck next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    We made t-shirts, we didn't go full costume. But each one of us had a badge for our particular Hogwarts house (since we legitimately had one of each) and we got lots of compliments.

I didn't keep any of our clues, we had the same "TronTron" puzzle, plus a few of the word search games, and on one puzzle we had to TRANSLATE BINARY CODE to get "write Flynn". It was SO hard! My favorite was the one where you had to walk around the Matterhorn to find eight different numeric answers ("How many caterpillar shoes are on top of Alice's mushroom?" & "What number is the monorail beam closest to the lagoon?" etc), then add those 8 numbers (which came out to 300+) then count the shields on the entrance of the Matterhorn from right to left and DRAW the shield you land on when you reach whatever that 300+ number was.

We were disappointed because last time we played (two years ago) we got 9th place! But this year's game was harder and more fun than that one, so we're pleased.
    I think I remember seeing you as you were walking in to the festival arena.
    Having someone from all four houses of Hogwarts meant you definitely had all your bases covered. Knowledge, Bravery, Hard Work, and Ambition.

Those were my favorite types of clues as well. Something that had you running around the park, looking at details and putting them together to answer something. I think this year we got mostly puzzles that we just went off to the side of the Hub and worked out. They were fun, but the others I think would have been more fun. I remember last year going to Small World twice, the carrousel, Nemo, Star Tours, and Main Street twice all to answer clues.

Our team got 1375, we had 7 hard, 3 easy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only possible way to have a multiple of 25 total points is to have gotten 0/50, 25/50, or 50/50 points in trivia. I know we didn't get either 0 or 50, unless they lost our trivia...

We finished everything and turned in the rope 10 minutes early. So, 125*7 = 875, 100*3 = 300, Rope = 100, initial clue = 100, trivia (most likely) = 75

This totals 1450, yet we got 1375 points. Someone check my logic, but the way I see it the only reasonable explanation is our trivia wasn't counted...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast