Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

They Call Them "Cast" Because They're in a Show

But what would you think if you went to a Broadway play and the cast just stood around talking to each other and goofing around?

That's what seems to happen at Disneyland more and more, where Cast Members seem to think they're cooler than the guests because they're working there, and stand in front of rides and play games with each other. I saw it so many times in my trip to Disneyland today. On Space Mountain, they were actually passing notes and calling each other silly names and then giving sideways glances to Guests saying, "Please move quickly into your seats." I saw the gates close on two people and CMs laugh.

Why do CMs seem to take such a cavalier attitude toward their jobs?

I really value and highly regard those who take seriously the idea that they are not only doing a job but also putting on a show. They seem to be more and more rare. Is it just me, and I'm becoming an intractable curmudgeon as I get older?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: They Call Them "Cast" Because They're in a Show

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    But what would you think if you went to a Broadway play and the cast just stood around talking to each other and goofing around?

That's what seems to happen at Disneyland more and more, where Cast Members seem to think they're cooler than the guests because they're working there, and stand in front of rides and play games with each other. I saw it so many times in my trip to Disneyland today. On Space Mountain, they were actually passing notes and calling each other silly names and then giving sideways glances to Guests saying, "Please move quickly into your seats." I saw the gates close on two people and CMs laugh.

I really value and highly regard those who take seriously the idea that they are not only doing a job but also putting on a show. They seem to be more and more rare. Is it just me, and I'm becoming an intractable curmudgeon as I get older?
    You see it at a lot of work places.
    But I agree
    it's nice to go to any place and see an employee that goes above and beyond. And when they do, I always try to show my thanks or contact a manager and let them know about the outstanding employee. We are so quick to point out the bad employee and not give praise to the outstanding employee.

I'm sure Walt wanted his employee's to enjoy their jobs
    but I would guess he'd make sure they stayed focus on the customer at the same time (and stay in character/theme).
    After all, a happy customer is a customer that keeps returning and feeding the company that crazy little thing called money.
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 09-24-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Just last night, while waiting for the fireworks, I saw a group of CMs clumped together just chatting. Talk about "Bad Show."
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

I don't think that's it's becoming an epidemic, if that's what you mean. I think that the vast majority are still invested in the show. It might just be the off-season workers are the ones that aren't quite so dedicated. Also: cast members stand around and talk all the time, just backstage. It's difficult for the CMs, I would imagine, because they spend so long onstage. Much more than regular casts in a show.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Hot FIRE!

To put it simply. We're human too just like you. Forgive us for not being 110% dedicated to guests soemtimes...you may see one of us not exactly being super friendly or chatty with another CM but you may have missed the magical moment I made for a guest 10 min earlier.

it goes both ways with CM and guests though...sometimes guests force us to break show because another guests is going to ruin things for everyone else...there's a lot to consider but I'm over explaining this.

Again we're human too but many of us are dedicated to our work.

...seriously

• Imagineer in Training

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    To put it simply. We're human too just like you. Forgive us for not being 110% dedicated to guests soemtimes...you may see one of us not exactly being super friendly or chatty with another CM but you may have missed the magical moment I made for a guest 10 min earlier.

it goes both ways with CM and guests though...sometimes guests force us to break show because another guests is going to ruin things for everyone else...there's a lot to consider but I'm over explaining this.

Again we're human too but many of us are dedicated to our work.

...seriously
    This. Nothing is more annoying than APs saying "bad show" all the time.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky28 View Post
    This. Nothing is more annoying than APs saying "bad show" all the time.
    When was AP mentioned?
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• revolutionary waltz

I'm pretty sure that most of the comedic Broadway plays are basically that, haha.

All kidding aside, I do think that the viewpoint might be a little harsh--Broadway casts are on stage for what, 1-2 hours? CM's are "on stage" for how much longer? I don't think there's anything wrong with a little levity or some interaction with coworkers and, frankly, I'm surprised that they don't get *more* annoyed with some guests, haha. It sounds like there were some bad seeds that you might've met, but I do think that overall cast members tend to be very polite and efficient at what they do.
    Last edited by TwilitWings; 09-25-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Formatting

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

ummm they are humans....not robots...

Everyone has a bad day (or two) and guests nagging is not going to make them fell like acting any more perfect.

Through I do like it when CMs seem happy and talk to you.....it makes my day

• I can't stand you.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ummm they are humans....not robots...
    Hmmmmm I wonder if going in that direction would save all the fussing

• -

Let me first preface the following responses to posters' statements by saying that I have personally never had any real issues with Disney workers. I have always found them to be professional in all my dealings with them. There are just a couple of things that stuck out in the posts quoted below.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ranos View Post
    Also: cast members stand around and talk all the time, just backstage. It's difficult for the CMs, I would imagine, because they spend so long onstage. Much more than regular casts in a show.
    The key word here is Backstage. I don't think anyone has a problem with the workers goofing off out of sight from park patrons. It's out in the parks in front of the public where professionalism is required.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWings View Post
    All kidding aside, I do think that the viewpoint might be a little harsh--Broadway casts are on stage for what, 1-2 hours? CM's are "on stage" for how much longer? I don't think there's anything wrong with a little levity or some interaction with coworkers and, frankly, I'm surprised that they don't get *more* annoyed with some guests, haha. It sounds like there were some bad seeds that you might've met, but I do think that overall cast members tend to be very polite and efficient at what they do.
    If they can't handle taking their jobs seriously when they're in front of the public, then maybe this isn't the job for them. This isn't just a Disney issue, it is the same for any profession that deals with the public.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Spend a little time at Hong Kong Disneyland and their cast members, DLR cast members look like perfectionist lol.

All I can say is 99% of the time I've gone, they are usually nothing but courteous, friendly and dedicated. Yeah, sometimes I see one who is a little bit rude, but I assume they had to deal with a few rude people him/herself all day or just a bad day. Sometimes a few get together and chat, yeah, no different than any place I worked and probably done myself. You stop and ask them for something, they immediately focus on you again and just as helpful as before.

In fact, I'm trying to think of my most recent trip and I cant think of a single one who werent anything but nice and professional. In fact one of them was SO nice and friendly I wanted to ask for her number lol.

I'm SURE it happens as the OP stated and if I went more often or looked for it, I would probably spot it more. But as a casual guest, I just dont see it all that often I guess...or at least not enough for it to damper my day or anything.

And FOR the record, the Hong Kong CMs arent really all that bad either, its just the newest park in a culture where manners are a bit different than places like America and Japan, but they do try for the most part as well.

If the management doesn't even understand its own business, why should anyone expect the other personnel to grasp the notion of Disneyland as professional theatre, either?

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    If they can't handle taking their jobs seriously when they're in front of the public, then maybe this isn't the job for them. This isn't just a Disney issue, it is the same for any profession that deals with the public.
    I guess the problem I have with this concept is that--what is "taking your job seriously"? Yes, it'd be weird to have the butlers and maids of Haunted Mansion laughing together, but for almost any other attraction? I honestly don't see that as 'bad show'. Should they be interacting to the detriment of their assigned jobs? No, they shouldn't--if Space Mountain's lines weren't moving because the cast members were so distracted by each other then, yes, that is a problem. If Pluto was chatting up a princess, that would be a problem. Yet I don't think that two or more cast members talking to each other is necessarily people not doing their job or being irresponsible.

Was the situation that EC82 present at not the best behavior on the cast members part? Yes, probably, from the sounds of it. But do I think it's some kind of endemic problem among cast members? No, I do not.

• Disney is home

That's what seems to happen at Disneyland more and more, where Cast Members seem to think they're cooler than the guests because they're working there....

Why are you labeling cast members or assuming what they think and feel? To me there are more good cast members than bad ones, with that I dont think cast members deserve that kind of labeling.

Most cast members are only as good as their managers are. Yes, the cast at Disneyland are part of a show but at the same time you gotta look at the reality of what their roles really are.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast