Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: TRAFFIC ALERT for SAT 10-1: Fatal Accident on Harbor Blvd Near DLR Entrance

There are actually a couple large chunks of vacant property along Harbor that could be used to add a pedestrian bridge within the resort or other areas that could be easily modified to allow a dip in the street without compromising the hotels access points

• Hooterville, USA

A pedestrian bridge has been needed for a long time on Harbor.

Sounds like it would have saved at least 2 lives.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    A pedestrian bridge has been needed for a long time on Harbor.

Sounds like it would have saved at least 2 lives.
    It could of saved lives. It's one thing to build a bridge for people to use and it's another thing to get people to use it, especially when carrying luggage or pushing strollers.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    Do what Vegas has build mini walls against the streets and build bridges the only way over is the bridge and no one is ever in the street
    That wouldn't have made any different in this case. The deceased accident victims would have been visible from such walkways, so those walkways would have been restricted to foot traffic. In fact, the monorails were instructed to not run, since the bodies would have been visible from the beam.

Anyhoo, that's a nonissue, since the existing crosswalks are more than adequate to handle the foot traffic crossing the street in this area. Pedestrian bridges are currently unnecessary.

I definitely saw something going on there. I was at the auditions, and walked over to mcdonalds to get some food after I got cut, and I saw the police rerouting traffic. it didn't really effect me since I was walking. but there were cars coming towards the freeway from that direction. They must have just allowed the hotel traffic to use that street. anyways, i was confused and this just answered my questions. My prayers are with the family of the victims.
    "Disneyland is a show."
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Anyhoo, that's a nonissue, since the existing crosswalks are more than adequate to handle the foot traffic crossing the street in this area. Pedestrian bridges are currently unnecessary.
    I disagree. We stay at the Fairfield Inn every time we come down, and I've seen several close calls over the years. The most recent was over Labor Day weekend when we came down for the race. A little kid pulled away from mom and nearly fell into traffic while we were all waiting at the light to cross Harbor. I was wondering then why they haven't built a pedestrian bridge (well, reasons besides the economy, that is). Maybe they're waiting for a tragedy first?

• Disneyland is your land.

Someone had mentioned that a pedestrian bridge would be tacky? Puh-leeze. The ones in Vegas are far from tacky (even with the concrete barriers). It's a safe way to move a ton of foot traffic and the intersection going to Disneyland desperately needs one. I saw bite the "tacky" bullet and make an intersection safer and more efficient for vehicles.
    Class of 2005...

• Banned User

The city probably doesn't want to be responsible for the cost of maintaining the bridge(s) and elevators let alone the risk of lawsuits from things like falls & other accidents. However, if Disney reached an agreement with adjacent businesses they could make a bridge that goes from one property to another thus being privately owned (think South Coast Plaza's footbridge). I'm not sure how the city zoning laws are in Vegas but I'm pretty sure that sidewalks are city property for most cities in California. It would take some legal strategery between Disney & Anaheim to get the same kind of bridges that they have on the strip. But given the fact that Disney usually gets most of it's zoning grants approved I would think that they would/should pursue looking into it in light of this terrible accident.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123