Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Bob Iger to be replaced as CEO in 2015 - what does this mean for the parks?

Here is the tweet: https://twitter.com/insidethemagic/s...65787431370754

So I know its too early to really speculate, but what does this mean for Disneyland and the theme parks, what do you think?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Insomniac

Re: Bob Iger to be replaced as CEO in 2015 - what does this mean for the parks?

Good find! Maybe we will see Iger go out big for Disneylands 60th right before he leaves! New Tomorrowland, Frontierland Expansion, Fantasyland Expansion! Well I can dream anyways... Hopefully the next CEO focusses less of marketing in the parks and we get some non franchise based attractions in the future! I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Meg Crofton will be elevated to CEO of the WDC...........

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    Is that really necessary....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

Depends on who replaces him, and how soon the decision is made (because that affects how much time the successor can spend learning the ropes).

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    Is that really necessary....
    Yep, not necessary at all. As long as Disney has forward-thinking visionaries like Staggs and Rasulo, they won't need to promote lesser beancounters like Crofton.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

How old is Bob Iger?
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Seeker of Fun

Bob Iger is 60. 2/10/51
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    Here is the tweet: https://twitter.com/insidethemagic/s...65787431370754

So I know its too early to really speculate, but what does this mean for Disneyland and the theme parks, what do you think?
    WAAAY too early to speculate. But you can already see who sticks out in any possible line of succession. If Iger were to leave his CEO post today, my bet would be on Tom Staggs becoming CEO, and George Kalogredis taking over as head of Parks & Resorts. If that were the case, the company would be in fantastic hands. But this isn't today, it's 5 years from now. Anything could happen in 5 years.

One thing to remember, also, is that Iger will continue to be President and Chairman after a new CEO is named in 2016. He'll be 65 by then. He'll have done his duty for King and Country, and will have done it quite well.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 10-07-2011 at 12:04 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    WAAAY too early to speculate. But you can already see who sticks out in any possible line of succession. If Iger were to leave his CEO post today, my bet would be on Tom Staggs becoming CEO, and George Kalogredis taking over as head of Parks & Resorts. If that were the case, the company would be in fantastic hands. But this isn't today, it's 5 years from now. Anything could happen in 5 years.
    I agree that it's 'way to early to speculate on five years down the road... but disagree that if it were today, George would get P&R. Churros to turkey legs, it'd be Jay.

- Neil Gabler

• Musical Fireman

I have no idea what will happen only time will tell but hopefully It'll be like Uncle Walt is back in town and well will have completely original rides and unique experiences instead of condensed rides based on film franchises. Or else it'll be like Eisner all over again and the complete destruction of all things Disney we know and love

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Churros to turkey legs, it'd be Jay.
    I don't think it would be Jay. Jay was already chairman of WDP&R. He's a numbers guy, but not a visionary. Skaggs and Kalogredis are both visionaries. Just my $.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    Or else it'll be like Eisner all over again and the complete destruction of all things Disney we know and love
    To Eisner's credit, he saved the company from destruction while Walt's Son-In-Law Ron Miller was CEO. Eisner ran things pretty well until he lost his right-hand-man, Frank Wells. With Wells' death, we saw rise of the Pressler/Harris era, which took years to recover from (and from which we're still in many ways recovering).
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 10-07-2011 at 12:19 PM.

• Banned User

Well, whoever takes over, lets hope they keep improving. Even the naysayers have to admit Iger steered the company in the right direction. You may not like all the character driven stuff, but he at least figured out that if you're going to do it... do it well, and that you have to spend money to make money. My fav quote of his though was about DCA and a potential 3rd gate:

Disney's chief executive officer Robert Iger went on record during the company's annual stockholder meeting on March 10, 2006 when someone asked about a potential third park being built in Anaheim. "We're still working to assure the second gate is successful", Iger said, referring to California Adventure. "In the spirit of candor, we have been challenged."[10]

• Insomniac

I agree Iger at least put quality back into the parks even if it was character based. Id rather have 100 well themed character rides than another SSL.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I agree Iger at least put quality back into the parks even if it was character based. Id rather have 100 well themed character rides than another SSL.
    Don't worry, character rides are all that Disney will be doing for the foreseeable future. No matter who is picked for CEO or who heads Parks & Resorts, it's doubtful that the vision of Disneyland as a marketing mall for franchise brands will change. These guys are snug and cozy in their money-making box, and aren't going to move (or think) outside of it. As Bob said, "I’m committed to increasing long-term value for shareholders and am confident we will continue to do so..."

As for Tom Staggs being a "visionary," we've seen the kind of visions he has: whilst gazing 'pon the miracle of Carsland, he is struck by a vision of... Avatarland.

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast