Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Penalties for taking pictures of backstage?

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if there are any penalties to taking pictures backstage of Disneyland. Say if I was being evacuated from a ride and they took us backstage, could I get in trouble for taking pictures or videos?

Re: Penalties for taking pictures of backstage?

They will tell you to delete them there on the spot and they can make sure that they are all deleted. If you have a film camera (which is unlikely these days), I've heard that they confiscate the film and send you all the non-backstage photos.

There are easy ways to take pics or video without being noticed.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

They can tell you to do anything, but cannot force you to delete pictures nor can they consfinscate your items from a legal standpoint. They can, however, remove you from the property without a refund.

An attempt to take possession of your belongings or the content contained is illegal.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    They can tell you to do anything, but cannot force you to delete pictures nor can they consfinscate your items from a legal standpoint. They can, however, remove you from the property without a refund.

An attempt to take possession of your belongings or the content contained is illegal.
    Something tells me that they can take your camera away. I have heard that before. You are on private property.

• Minion

I'd like to see that one go to court! I think the judge or jury would laugh at Disney.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

You will be asked more than likely, if evacuated from a ride or such, to not take photos or video. It is best to obey all Cast Member instructions regarding that, regardless of possible punishment or if you can 'sneak' a photo or two: Disney owns the property and breaking rules deliberately is not advised.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Eric and Bob: Are you guys lawyers? Seriously, I am curious if you have a basis for your opinion or if they are just lay opinions? Thanks.

How odd. I don't recall penalties when I was evac'd from Matterhorn.

• Minion

When I was evacuated from Space Mountain, we asked the CM if we could take pictures and he said it was fine. We took close to 50 pictures on our way out and never was told to stop.

The only time I can think that pictures are not allowed are during Cast Previews for attractions since they're not officially open to the public yet.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Something tells me that they can take your camera away. I have heard that before. You are on private property.
    Disney is not a public agency, and therfore cannot take your personal possessions. That would be theft. It doesn't matter where you are. If you come into my house, I can't strip you naked and keep your belongings, can I? Now, they can ask for it, and if you give it to them out of fear or to avoid being removed, that's your choice.
    WELCOME ABOARD

• Sock Puppet

As said above, take the pictures at your own risk. It is possible to take pictures, and some cast members don't care if you do, but although it may seem like a great time for pictures, I would not reccomend it.

• Missing my AP

From Personal experience, the only time I was asked not to take photos/video when being evacuated from a ride, was when we actually left the show building( Splash Mountain) and saw the actual "backstage" area where cast and equipment were visible. They did mention that violators may be subject to confiscating/destroying images.
    There were obvious safety reasons not to let people stop to take pictures while evacuating a ride. The break area was pretty messy too. I remember telling someone, "it's no wonder they don't want you to take pictures, the secret they are trying to keep is how dirty everything really is."
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

• Senior Monorail Minion

People who believe Disney has the legal right to confinscate or force delete pictures:

I cannot find any, but I would love to see what penal code they can do this under. I'm sure one of you can find it...

For the record, I am not suggesting that you SHOULD take pictures when they ask you not to, but it does upset me that Disney feels they have the legal authority to take your personal belongings
    WELCOME ABOARD

• Greetings, Program!

As I was being trained on the evac procedure to M2M back in the day (the emergency exit emptied out onto a backstage accessway) my lead mentioned to me that a lot of people would probably start taking pix as they were shuffled out. She mentioned that the park didn't care about that as long as they kept moving unti lthey were out of potential danger. Safety was priority then, as I imagine it still is today.

Not once, as a CM, was I ever told to confiscate a camera or stop anyone from filming anything backstage.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast