Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• a damsel not in distress

disneyland for adults?

so i just turned twenty-one and my parents are coming to visit me next week in southern california and i was considering surprising them with a day at disneyland. we haven't been since i was six years old and i thought it would be something fun to do before i move cross country (you know, kind of remind them i'll always be their little girl).

the thing is, will this be fun for them? i'm a total disney nut, so of course i'll have a good time. but i want to make sure it's enjoyable for them as well.

so basically i'm asking whether or not this would be a good surprise. can adults without young kids have fun at disneyland? is there much to do/is it just as magical for a "grown-up family?"

thanks for any input!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Re: disneyland for adults?

Absolutely, they will enjoy it! It's just as magical, unless your parents have an extreme distaste for crowds or happiness. In your case, I think it will be a great bonding experience. Have fun!
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Banned User

Thought this was gonna be about Vegas lol. Well, I'm 31, and my mom is in her 50's and complains she hasn't gone in awhile.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

It was built by a 54 year old.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I would love it if someone surprised me with a trip to Disneyland. Especially if it was someone that loved the place. There are a lot of adults walking around, and enjoying Disneyland. The place is definitely not just for kids. I'm talking real ages here, versus the age that some adults feel when they are at Disneyland.

Have fun. Nice gift, by the way, especially considering the cost of a one day ticket.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)

Since it's a family outing, family rides would be in order. Here's my list for a good family time (it's rather tame since you didn't mention if they enjoy coasters or not):

1. Railroad
    2. Mark Twain/Columbia
    3. Monorail
    4. POTC (if it's open)
    5. Tiki Room
    6. Star Tours
    7. Canoes
    8. Haunted Mansion (if it's the 3 of you, you can all fit [cozily] into a Doombuggy)
    9. Storybook canals
    10. Any dark ride in Fantasyland.

There's a start.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Minion

My parents are in their upper 30's and when we go they just eat food and walk around while we enjoy the rides i guess its different for different people

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    My parents are in their upper 30's and when we go they just eat food and walk around while we enjoy the rides i guess its different for different people
    Yah when you're really old like in your late 30s usually all you like to do is eat food and walk around the park...

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Disneyland can absolutely be fun (sometimes a lot MORE fun) with no kids in tow.

My only suggestion would be to pay close attention to crowd forecasts, if you are able, and operating hours. In my experience one of the things that most often impacts an adult's experience of Disneyland are the crowds.

I hope you all have a wonderful time together!

I took my mom for her first trip to Disney last year at the age of 54. I wouldn't say she is a huge Disney nut but Disney was a huge part of my childhood, especially the movies and the music. She was overwhelmed by the magic during our visit. She loved the rides, the fireworks, and the parade. She wants to make our trip a tradition. My biggest piece of advice: as much as possible, let them help decide what to do during the day. Some of my mom's favorite rides weren't my favorites, but if she didn't speak up, we might not have done them. Your parents will love this trip. As you said, you'll always be their little girl and I think this will be a great opportunity to create some memories.

• Workin to live,lovin life

If they enjoy Disney even just a little bit, I'm sure you can make the trip extremely enjoyable. The only adults I would never take to any Disney Park are the ones who hate Theme Parks or Disney in general.

I'd say go midweek if possible to avoid crowds, but if not, make a loose plan of what you guys will do. Don't make a written or printed schedule, but have an idea. At least from my experience, the last thing people want to do is stick to a strict schedule at a theme park.

---------- Post added 10-11-2011 at 10:06 AM ----------

OH, and people watching is great in DL and DCA when you're older! Just talking to each other, enjoying the atmosphere and seeing how other people are interacting can be fun!

• a damsel not in distress

ah, this is wonderful this was just the response i was hoping for; i'm going to buy the tickets today!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Have fun. Nice gift, by the way, especially considering the cost of a one day ticket.
    i'm lucky because i got to a university down here which gives a discount on one day tickets. nothing much, but hey, i'll take it!

• Banned User

I think they'll appreciate the gesture more than worrying about having a good time at the park! My only advice is to let them pick what they want to do. If all else fails, there's a bar in DCA! :P

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    That just made me feel REALLY old because I'm in my upper 30's. Not everyone can handle thrill rides, but whatever park I go to, I usually make a beeline for the roller coasters. But I also love dark rides and some shows as well. I like a good mixture of things to balance it all out. I also have more fun with the characters now than I did when I was a kid. Whenever I see Tigger (my favorite), mass mayhem usually ensues, which is always hilarious.

Disneyland attracts a greater proportion of guests in parties without children than in parties with children. So, I think the answer is pretty obvious. Just because Disney's schizophrenic trademark is so mismanaged today that someone would even ask the question, though, should be a signal that something is very wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast