Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Suspended

Re: What do you think the energy bill is every month for Disneyland?

...but my house doesn't have a loop in it...(yet)..that's gotta cost more to run, right?

• Banned User

In all likelihood. Darn it, you've thrown off my figures. Though only slightly.

OH NO ... you've done so by a factor of 10 (10 houses x 1 loop/ea x loop inefficiency compensation)!
    Last edited by John Goodman; 10-17-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: NEGLIGENT MATHS

• Avid Photographer!

Disneyland runs MUCH more power than 10 houses I'd bet. See, while you get 220 off the pole, they run 3 phase power which allowes them to get lots more power. I'd imagine it's on the order of high 6-digit numbers.

• Make it Cool

1. Only about 15% of a theme park's income is derived from ticket sales.
    2. The park's power comes directly from the Hoover Dam.
    3. This article: Switch off: Coal-fired plant will not be built - Orlando Sentinel

Indicates that WDW consumes 120MW on a peak summer day, so divide by 5 or 6ish?

More than the cost per month, I'd be interested to know if all the swapping out of incandescent with flourescent or LED has made much of an impact in the cost.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The parks not only have many more than ten houses worth of buildings, but the complex computers and ride systems, let alone the large air conditioners on each building (whos doors are often open) as well as all of the decorative lights would require much more energy.

However, does everyone remember the big tank built behind the Carsland Rockwork? Allow me to simplify what it is for. Basically, Disney heats water in it during the night when power is cheap, and then uses it during the day to create energy for use in the parks.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Basically, Disney heats water in it during the night when power is cheap, and then uses it during the day to create energy for use in the parks.
    But will it generate 1.21 jigawatts of electricity?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Only on Thursdays after 4:00 PM

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Maybe they have a deal with the county or something?
    The Countyof Orange has no power generating facilities. For most of Orange County, power is supploed by Southern California Edison. But for the City of Anaheim, power is supplied by Anaheim Public Utilities. This is the organization that supplies power to Disneyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    I thought they generate some of their own power?
    No, they don't. They have backup generators, but AFAIK, they're area specific. I also believe DL is on its own grid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Old rumor is that the first 23,000 people that pay for entry, cover the costs to run Disneyland for the day. And that includes all overheard.

After that, just profit.
    I can tell you for a fact that this is a rumor. Most of the Park's profit comes from food, beverage, and merchandise. Most of the admission price goes to cover the daily cost of operations, including labor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    I'd be interested to know if all the swapping out of incandescent with flourescent or LED has made much of an impact in the cost.
    Yes, but lighting is only a fraction of the park's electrical consumption. I believe the biggest portion goes to ride controls.

Plus, there are many places where LED lighting is not feasable, such as the decorative lighting on Main Street.

BTW, Backstage and office lighting is usually flourescent. I mention that because people usually start huge tirades that DIsney should replace all of its incandescent lighting, not realizing that incandescent lighting is typically relegated to on-stage use.

---------- Post added 10-20-2011 at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    I doubt they use much solar... we'd see the panels if they did.
    AFAIK, DLR doesn't use solar. It's a matter of practicality. First, there isn't ample flat space to mount panels (most roofing is home to networks of ducting and cabling running everywhere). Also, it's inefficient whem compared to the high volume of power needed.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 10-20-2011 at 12:18 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    The Countyof Orange has no power generating facilities. For most of Orange County, power is supploed by Southern California Edison. But for the City of Anaheim, power is supplied by Anaheim Public Utilities. This is the organization that supplies power to Disneyland.
    FWIW.. Anaheim's PU also buys power from outside utilities. They don't have enough generating capacity of their own.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• world class bilge rat

As a person who designs, installs and maintains large electrical systems, I'll guess somewhere around $2,000,000/month.

Something the size of DL would have several electrical services; the older ones would be 480 volts 3 phase, the newer ones (like DCA) would be 4160 volts 3 phase, maybe even 12,500 volts (or thereabouts).

The service to your house is 240 volts single phase.

I doubt that DL generates any of its own power, but if the utility is off, they certainly have back-up generators that run on diesel. It's possible they have natural gas turbines to cut back on their maximum demand during the summer; those were popular a few years ago on big systems. Natural gas is cheap during the summer, more costly in the winter. I've worked on several power plants that burn natural gas in the summer than sit idle all winter.

I know this sounds odd, but it wouldn't surprise me if DL uses the same amount of power as 8,000 houses, maybe even more. One of those popcorn stands uses more power than an average house.

In short, they use a LOT!

Rob

Right, Anaheim created their own municipal electric utility in the very early days of that concept, and have operated on their own (i.e. separate from the rest of Orange County in terms of management) since then. Their power has come from a variety of different sources over the years, including Southern California Edison exclusively for a time, but these days it's quite diversified--a mix of locally-generated power, a share of the San Onofre nuclear power plant, a share of the electricity generated at the Hoover Dam, shares of power generating plants in other states such as New Mexico, and bulk discount power purchases from suppliers in Utah and up the whole West Coast.

I also believe DL is on its own grid.
    I believe so, too, although it's only an educated guess on my part. Originally Disneyland purchased power from a private utility, which was carried through underground lines (probably got a better deal and better reliability at the time); the infamous above-ground power lines running across the property were and I think still are just an easement for the main Anaheim Public Utilities grid. These days, as you pointed out, they have a deal with Anaheim Public Utilities for power, have worked with them to help ensure reliability, and probably still have their own circuit (I don't know that for an absolute fact, though).

lighting is only a fraction of the park's electrical consumption. I believe the biggest portion goes to ride controls.
    Gotta be--the moving parts of the rides use a lot of power. Then there is the broader topic of energy, which includes vehicles and rides that do not primarily run on electricity, such as the Disneyland Railroad.

Plus, there are many places where LED lighting is not feasable, such as the decorative lighting on Main Street.
    It wouldn't look right, but is that the only reason? That's reason enough, in my opinion, but I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    As a person who designs, installs and maintains large electrical systems, I'll guess somewhere around $2,000,000/month.
    Interestingly enough, that's the estimate I came up with, too, based on around 30 MW continuous power usage (averaged over the day) and $0.10 per kWh. Obviously it's very rough and may be more of an upper bound than an average.

While it may be a lot compared to a typical house, to put things into perspective it's only a fraction of what even a small gas turbine power plant can generate, so we're not talking about unbelievably massive, barely manageable amounts of power here--just huge compared to what most people are accustomed to dealing with. In more familiar terms, it's roughly comparable to the actual power generated by 2000 typical sedans running at freeway speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    The service to your house is 240 volts single phase.
    This is then split into two "legs" with opposite polarity at 120 volts each, which is why most outlets in the US are 120 volts (there are also 240 volt outlets for larger appliances that use both "legs"). I'm not telling YOU this, obviously, but somebody might have a question about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12