• My prices are INSANE!

Exclamation WonderCon in Anaheim for 2012

I'm not sure if I should post this here or elsewhere.

I just received a postcard from the folks who run WonderCon/San Diego Comic Con announcing that WonderCon will be at the Anaheim convention center March 16-18 2012.
    WonderCon has been in the San Francisco/Bay area since it's creation.
    So this is something of a surprise.

So anyone who plans on visiting Disneyland might want to keep this in mind around these dates.
    I haven't been to WonderCon recently, but I would think that the need to expand would necessitate the larger crowds if it's gaining the popularity it's bigger brother down south generates.

The way these conventions are planned is that the con will take a huge amount of hotel space around that time and reserve it. And then release the rooms through a lottery type system through the con itself.
    So rooms might become scarce on these dates.

Just a heads up.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: WonderCon in Anaheim for 2012

I think Anaheim is just a one year move for WonderCon due to Moscone Center being under renovation during the cons usual timeframe.

Perhaps one can read the tea leaves and see this as the group who runs comic con testing out Anaheim as a spot to move comic con to if San Diego loses it. But that may be reading into just a bit too much...

• My prices are INSANE!

Re: WonderCon in Anaheim for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    I think Anaheim is just a one year move for WonderCon due to Moscone Center being under renovation during the cons usual timeframe.

Perhaps one can read the tea leaves and see this as the group who runs comic con testing out Anaheim as a spot to move comic con to if San Diego loses it. But that may be reading into just a bit too much...
    I thought it was a bit strange that WonderCon would relocate without a reason.
    Here's some more info I found via the Hollywood reporter.
    Looks like CCI liked the Anaheim Convention Center due to the way they handled Disney's D-23 Expo.

Rumblings on comic sites whispered the move in the week after Comic-Con when it was revealed that San Francisco’s Moscone Center, WonderCon’s traditional venue, would be undergoing renovations in early 2012.
    That put the convention, which hit a record attendance of 49,000 this year, in a quandary: postpone the show a year and lose valuable momentum, or find a new venue. And CCI did look at venues in Los Angeles and other cities in California before picking Anaheim, which recently held the second installment of Disney’s Comic-Con-like convention, D23 Expo.
    “It certainly was not our wish to move,” said CCI’s director of marketing David Glanzer in a statement. “However, when faced with the prospect of canceling the show for a year or moving locations, after careful consideration we decided to keep WonderCon on the 2012 calendar at a venue that could accommodate our needs.”
    The move is having some ripple effects with other conventions, who moved to accommodate the WonderCon movie. According to CCI, “ReedPop’s C2E2, which has been waiting to announce dates for its own show in March 2012, will now seek alternative dates while Wizard World has announced that it will postpone its April 2012 Anaheim show.”
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/