Question about Disneyland lines and waiting outside?

I just returned from a Disneyland trip after having not been in several years so forgive me if this old news. Last week was very hot but I noticed that the indoor line areas are not being utilized fully. Like at Space Mountain you spend most of your time waiting outdoors on the upper level and then a cast member slowly lets groups in and you walk right through the nice cool indoor line area instead of waiting there. I noticed the same thing on several other attractions. Do you know why they have started doing this? It made it much more unpleasant to have to wait outside in the heat although luckily it wasn't too crowded. I remember doing most of the waiting in the indoor parts when I had gone in the past.

BTW it was a great trip and we really enjoyed the Halloween party! We stayed at the Howard Johnson which was great.

• Banned User

Re: Question about Disneyland lines and waiting outside?

They really have that queue layout backwards. Should have the longer wait be INSIDE, for that reason.

• -

The same thing with Indy. They used to take Fastpasses way inside the ride which let the standby line wait mostly in the indoor area. Now they take it right at the entrance to the building with most of the standby people outside. I doesn't make any sense.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

By making the lines look longer(and forcing guests to wait in the heat) Disney hopes you will opt to skip it and go shopping
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I don't know if this is the same reason for Space Mountain, but I've heard that some parts of Indy queue, namely the long straight ramp down after you first go inside is considered some kind of a fire exit so they can't have too many people stopped in that area for safety reasons. Which kind of makes sense. If either attraction (Space or Indy) needed to be evacuated in an emergency, it's probably easier to evacuate people from a large outdoor area than from a narrow, indoor tunnel.

Oh! So you noticed this! I noticed this a few years ago and here is the reason I believe the Disney Management does this:

When they allowed people to stand inside for a long time, the people get bored and they throw their trash on the ground, spill their sugared sodas all over the place and carve their initials into . . . . . whatever they can reach. So Disney management minimizes your time within these areas.
    I am pretty sure this is the reason. Too bad, eh ?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post
    Oh! So you noticed this! I noticed this a few years ago and here is the reason I believe the Disney Management does this:

When they allowed people to stand inside for a long time, the people get bored and they throw their trash on the ground, spill their sugared sodas all over the place and carve their initials into . . . . . whatever they can reach. So Disney management minimizes your time within these areas.
    I really hope that is not the reason, but I guess it wouldn't be the first time a few low-lifes ruined things for other people.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Workin to live,lovin life

I'd probably say that it's a combination of everything said here! Minimize time inside to keep it clean, evacuation is easier, and lines seem longer to promote "aimless" impulse shopping.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Very interesting theories. All of them. I never waited very long for any of the rides that I rode on my last trip. Except for TSMM which always has a very long line. I wish that ride had a better queue area. It does get boring waiting that long, and by the time I exit the ride, I am looking for the nearest restroom. I must remember to use it before I head into that line.

• Ewok

I forget what its called but its so you skip the ride and move on to something else they do this with all the big rides especially early in the morning and especially with Indy. It makes it seem like the line is really long when its not and with the rides that have fastpasses it enables to use of more fastpasses and makes people go on the rides that dont get so many people.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    By making the lines look longer(and forcing guests to wait in the heat) Disney hopes you will opt to skip it and go shopping
    This is the reason. It's not just shopping, but they want people to shift from e-ticket lines to smaller attractions and eateries too. It used to be that Disney designed queues so that people would think the lines for e-tickets were far shorter than they are (by making it less visible from the outside) - now Disney wants people saying "eh, that line's too long, let's find something else to do."

• I won't grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by ravencroft View Post

I always thought it was just because that's how the lines worked better with fast passes, but this makes much more sense.

Its such a waste though, I LOVE the line for Indy and now you don't get to wait in it at all anymore!

Working daily to infect my two little princesses with Disney obsession

• Seasick

I believe the primary reason is that using the entirety of the indoor queue would not be compatible with Fastpass.

Roger Rabbit has a long and slow-moving standby queue, but they don't have those guests wait outside, because the setup allows for a separate Fastpass entrance. I'm not convinced by the theory that making people queue up outside is for safety reasons, or to prevent vandalism.

I love Fastpass, but I really hate the impact it has on Space and Indy in particular. The beautiful Indy queue is wasted, and in both cases people are stuck outside instead of inside where it's air conditioned.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

The main reason is Fastpass. The walkways in SM are too narrow to have side by side lines. Indy Fastpass used to merge much further into the queue, but they decided that having the merge point that far in meant people using Fastpass wouldn't get to watch the safety video so they changed it to what it is now which is why sometimes Indy will still be a 20-30 minute wait even with Fastpass. SM's outdoor standby queue can be brutal in the summer. I wish they'd look into routing some of it into the top floor of the Starcade.

I always figured it was a combination of fastpass and also the need to be quicker evacuations in case of an emergency. has there ever been an actual statement though?