Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red Face Which do you favor more; Walt Disney's Attractions or the newer Attractions?

I know this is purely personal preference, but I'm curious as to whether Micechatters favor Walt Disney's Attractions or newer Attractions more. I see a whole lot of Indy lovin' on here.

I personally am a sucker for older attractions. Main Street, Sleeping Beauty Castle, Jungle Cruise, and King Arthur's Carousel are what make the park magical for me.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Which do you favor more; Walt Disney's Attractions or the newer Attractions?

Pirates or Pooh?

Mansion or Buzz?

Not really a contest if you ask me
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Which do you favor more; Walt Disney's Attractions or the newer Attractions?

I daresay it's not mutually exclusive, my favorite attraction list for the two parks runs thusly: Haunted Mansion, Matterhorn, new Star Tours, Tiki Room, Mr. Lincoln, Space Mountain, The Mark Twain, Snow White, Tower of Terror, Disneyland Railroad, Splash Mountain...seems a fair mix of both classic and newer. Older attractions might have slight edge in terms of length/stylized design, I think, to me...but I like new ones too.

On the other hand, plenty of old and new attractions both I find rather dull or uninspired, so saying one group altogether is stronger is tricky business.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• -

It depends on which attractions you are referring to. Both ages have their merits and faults. During Disney’s time we had such gems as Kaiser Aluminum and Fashion and Fabrics Through the Ages. I prefer even today’s Tomorrowland to that. However, Disney’s time also brought us the Carnation Plaza Gardens which is far superior to this princess BS marketing to little girls that is replacing it. I would also prefer Carousel of Progress, or even America Sings to Innoventions. At the same time, I would prefer Big Thunder Mountain to the Pack Mules. Each time period has its ups and downs. I will say though that at least during Walt Disney’s time, there were more original rides instead of just marketing tie-ins to movies.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Pirates or Pooh?

Mansion or Buzz?

Why compare the best of his era w/ the worst of the current? (Buzz is debatable, I like it) Instead of something like:

Pirates vs Indiana Jones
    Mansion vs Star Tours:The Adventures Continue

• I'm from Canada eh!

I enjoy attractions based on the attraction itself, not based on when it was made.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Why compare the best of his era w/ the worst of the current? (Buzz is debatable, I like it) Instead of something like:

Pirates vs Indiana Jones
    I mean yeah c'mon! I dont want to offend anyone, but these boards gets frustrating with stuff like this. Put the BEST stuff of Walts with the WORST of todays attractions and then compare them? And I really like Buzz though anyway as many do since its now in every resort worldwide. Its not the best, nor the worst!

And yes, Walt Disney wasnt perfect. He made some stinkers in his time too. The ones that are still around today are the ones that naturally stood the test of time, but they ALL didnt.

And yeah, rides like Indy, TOT, Winnie the Pooh (IN Tokyo), Soarin, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Kilmanjaro Safaris, Spaceship Earth, TSM, Splash, BTM and a host of others will probably stick around as long as the parks do and are just as beloved as the older stuff.

And end of the day, people dont make those distintions. Yeah, WE do because we are Disney geeks of course, but the average person only sees a great ride that is fun, immersive and ties in story telling elements in only the way Disney can do.

So my answer to the question, neither! I only care about a great ride that is fun, immersive and ties in story telling elements. Thats all that matters, I dont care who built it, especially since my favorites come from all eras and in multiple parks!

• Minion

Pirates vs Indiana Jones
    But IJ and ST are both thrill rides where PoTC and HM are not. I don't think this would be an equal comparison. I think you'd have to compare dark rides to dark rides, thrill rides to thrill rides. Indiana Jones vs. Matterhorn.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Pirates or Pooh?

Mansion or Buzz?

If you want to be technical, Haunted Mansion was designed and built (except for the exterior facade) after Walt's passing. So it actually is a newer attraction using Walt as the guage.
    For that matter, so, too would be Country Bears, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, America Sings, and Indy - all considered classics today.

In answer to your question, no preference. I just like the good attractions.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    But IJ and ST are both thrill rides where PoTC and HM are not. I don't think this would be an equal comparison. I think you'd have to compare dark rides to dark rides, thrill rides to thrill rides. Indiana Jones vs. Matterhorn.
    Fair enough, but in that case...and I like Matterhorn better as a ride and experience, love it in fact...but Indiana Jones is without a doubt more technically advanced and detailed from the ground up. It's not as simple as older is better, even with thrill ride vs thrill ride, or new is better due to technology.

People like the rides/experiences they like, regardless of Walt-era or not. I like Star Tours better than Small World, even if I recognize value of SW..it's not as cut and dried as saying one era is better.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Banned User

To be honest, I dont think it really matters eitherway. The question was simply your favorite attractions, not comparing your favorite dark or thrill rides directly in each era. I mean if thats the basis, what can be compared to Indy with Walts day? Basically nothing since there were so few thrill rides back then and nothing that technically advanced. So if you compare everything directly, there is hardly any comparisons since some of their best attractions are thrill based today and some of my favorite attractions. The Walt attractions wouldnt stand a chance on that basis alone. And eitherway, the poster was choosing some of the worst rides on purpose to make a point.

I mean you can say POTC vs Spaceship Earth for one. Or HM vs TLM. I mean at least have it a fairer fight!

• Banned User

Indy is a bit of a hard one to categorize... I mean really, it's a fully immersive, thrilling dark ride. I just chose the two because they are generally considered the best of the modern Disney era, and both immerse people in the respective world's in different ways. I just thinking comparing Haunted Mansion to Winnie the Pooh was just stacking the deck big time as far as old vs new. Why not compare Pooh to one of the classic DL dark rides where it's a more clear one. You don't compare a B or C ticket to an E ticket and say "See, Walt's time was better" That's like having the 70's Steelers play a pop warner team and be like "Told you football back then was better then now!"

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Pirates vs Indiana Jones
    Fair enough. I would still take Pirates over Indiana Jones and Mansion over Star Tours.......and the sad thing is Tours and Jones have decades of technological breakthru's at their disposal and still don't quite measure up to the older attractions.

But, in all fairness, I would take Star Tours over It's a Small World and Jones over the old(and new) Submarines.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    If you want to be technical, Haunted Mansion was designed and built (except for the exterior facade) after Walt's passing. So it actually is a newer attraction using Walt as the guage.
    A fair point........but I will always consider Mansion a Walt era attraction, nonetheless.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

The newer stuff has more advanced technology, but the "Walt era" attractions had more character. I consider Space Mountain to be the last "Walt attraction" because he did have a hand in its early development. The attractions of the "Walt era" were more than just rides. They were works of art, educational experiences, and touchstones of popular culture. Today's attractions, not just at Disney but at most parks, are manufactured experiences, designed by committees top-heavy with MBAs, trying to second-guess what the public wants.

It has been all down hill since they took out the Viewliner!
    The Mur

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast