View Poll Results: Duffy the Disney Bear - Soul-less Ripoff Surely?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes indeed. What an abomination.

56 43.08%
  • Certainly not. I love the little darling.

40 30.77%
  • I have no opinion on the matter but still wish to vote.

27 20.77%
  • Duffy the what now?

7 5.38%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Become part of MY world!

Re: Duffy the Disney Bear - A Shameless Cash In?

Wow, so much DuffyHate, but thats to be expected, but Duffy look more like the walk around character?!? No thanks, he looks perfect, to me, the way he is. He has very classic look with subtle Disney touches, thats why I love him so much. Build a Bear bears to me, look to garish with too many patterns and colors. I like a simple nice bear, and that's what Duffy is. His nose pointy? Have you ever seen a bear? And quite honestly, I never liked how the walk around character looked like both here and in TDS. I like the bear itself.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Each to their own, I suppose. To me, the snout just looks a little too pointy compared to the walk-around character. In my opinion, I like the look of the walk-around than the actual doll.

• Minion

I like Duffy first time i was at DCA and no one was at his meet n greet so i decide i would go its the best one on one bonding time with a character after that i ran to the store and bought a teddy bear and took more pics with Duffy and got to interact with him because no one was in line line this is why hes my favorite

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Lets face it, everything Disney markets, including Duffy is for one reason and one reason only. Adding money to the coffers. Disney is a for profit operation, and unless it makes a profit it can't survive as a company. No merchandise is in the parks for any other reason than to be bought, Duffy included.

Personally, I like Duffy. I think he's cute. When I saw him in the Asian markets I liked him and wanted one. I only have one, a very small one about 6 inches tall right now. Will I ever get a bigger one? Someday. But I don't think I'll buy any of the clothes they make. I think I'll try making some custom stuff if I can.

As to "another thread...." MiceChat is a discussion board. We discuss. And sometimes multiple threads on the same or similar topic come up. If topics are identical and in a close enough time frame we merge them. If not... then they provide a new place for new ideas.

And please remember to respect each others opinions no matter what those opinions are. If you love him and think he's cool then great. If you hate him and think its the dumbest thing Disney has ever done, well thats cool to. But lets not knock the other person regardless of what side of the issue they stand on.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Minion

I voted for no opinion. I don't care for him but I collect pins. I am sure he has a fan base and they love him

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Simply put: yes. Duffy is hugely popular in Japan, for cultural reasons doubtless. Disney wanted to make that merch money here, so Duffy crossed to this continent: it's not really a secret they brought it over to try and sell a lot, not because it supported a film or a attraction or was inherently awesome on it's own: it's just a bear.
    This is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Look at how many people complain about movie tie ins. Here you have an example of something that's not a movie tie in, and those same people are complaining anyway.

Duffy in the US is seeing a steady trend upwards, first among the asian female population, and next in the female teen population in general. I'm not a Duffy fan at all. But enough people seem to like Duffy to warrant his regular appearance. I have no particular problem with it.

Every food, beverage, and merchandise item in the parks is there to make the company money. To have a problem with it is plain silly.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Duffy in the US is seeing a steady trend upwards, first among the asian female population, and next in the female teen population in general. I'm not a Duffy fan at all. But enough people seem to like Duffy to warrant his regular appearance. I have no particular problem with it.
    Nor do I...Duffy exists, people like it, all good by me The query was, was it brought in as a basically a marketing ploy. And it was, by all accounts...that's a fact. Doesn't mean I particularly like the bear, but it's not something I hate in any shape or form. The reasons behind the push for Duffy in the states explain themselves clear enough I think. I don't see a "I hate Duffy" movement going on....people either like him, or are indifferent, and both seem to acknowledge the decision making buying purely monetary as opposed to 'story'/quality based for the U.S. That does not negate the product as being enjoyable for some folks, of course, and if people enjoy it then that's a good thing

Of course he is, but I do live him so.

I was annoyed at first, but he's grown on me in the past year or so.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Hmmm, really? I have pictures of Duffy on the float from last years parade.
    That was JUST for filming.....he was not on the REAL parade that happened on a daily bases

• Banned User

OP, these are the kinds of lines and interest they were HOPING Duffy would have in DCA as it did in TDS. Observe:

You see the madness! Do you understand now?? They thought once Duffy took over Japan, he could take over the world! Someone has to stop this bear!

• Just this guy......

Duffy the Disney Bear - A Shameless Cash In?

This is Disney.... DUH... They are always trying to cash in. They are professionals at taking your money.

I wouldn't call Duffy Soul-Less Ripoff. You do get what you pay for, a toy bear. Do I want to spend my money that way? No, but some people like toy bears and I have no problem with them buying Duffy if that is what they want.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

The problem with Duffy is that the character lacks any kind of artistic integrity or personality, it's a complete joke to compare it with beautifully crafted Disney originals like the fab 5 which all have in-depth personalities. Heck I don't even think it even comes close to Pixar's creations and I'm not even a big fan of them. Bottom line, you could have had this character at a Six Flags park in the carnival games section and no one would even know the difference between the ordinary stuffed animal prizes and Duffy. The reality is that not being related to a movie has nothing to do with the characters shortcomings, it has everything to do with being artistically underwhelming and is consistent with Disney's overall performance over the last 15 years.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 10-20-2011 at 10:01 PM.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    That was JUST for filming.....he was not on the REAL parade that happened on a daily bases
    The point I was making is that he is already being used in the parade for merchandising. More people saw Duffy on TV than at the parks during that parade.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• 2 shots on the rocks.

The thing creeps me out.

Never heard of him until last week when I saw him at DCA. I was, like, what is that!? And kept on walking. JMO, but for me it's not Disney.

ETA: He was in a gazebo and was doing his very own meet-n-greet.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast