View Poll Results: Duffy the Disney Bear - Soul-less Ripoff Surely?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes indeed. What an abomination.

56 43.08%
  • Certainly not. I love the little darling.

40 30.77%
  • I have no opinion on the matter but still wish to vote.

27 20.77%
  • Duffy the what now?

7 5.38%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Seeker of Fun

Re: Duffy the Disney Bear - A Shameless Cash In?

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    Duffy is garbage. My kids who LOVE to visit face and costume characters of all sorts in the parks, when asked if they wanted to go say "Hi" to Duffy as there was no line, simply said no. That is how I gauge the popularity/failure in my house, and he is a flop.
    Well said here. Never have seen a line, and my kids ignore it.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Uh...it's like nobody even bothered to read or acknowledge DuffyDaisuki's posts. He had some good things to say, but instead people ignore it and pile on the "he's horrible" posts. Ok, so you don't like it, but just because you or your children don't like Duffy, that is not an indicator of success...please, like you or your family is the harbinger of Disney taste...

• ~*Princess*~

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    Well said here. Never have seen a line, and my kids ignore it.
    Umm...everytime I've gone there has always been a line including many people interested about him.

Remember Duffy haters. Hating doesn't make you cool. .....lol

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Moderator Note: Discussion of Duffy, the implementation of the character in the stateside parks, his history and perceived success here is quite welcome. However, the more volatile or harsh posts on either side and personal attacks need to cease in order for this thread to remain open and friendly. This is a discussion site, and continued statements of Duffy being 'garbage' or inflammatory/confrontational posts directed towards either supporters or critics of the characters based on disagreeing with them will have to result in this thread being locked.

Thank you all for your understanding and keeping MiceChat a friendly and open place to discuss these topics.

I agree ^^^^^. I mean if the poll is correct, than 33% of disney fans do like Duffy. Thats a lot of people and kids too. So to hear that Duffy is soulless garbage, it honestly feels like people who dont like Duffy want everyone to hate Duffy. I personally dont care if everyone loves Duffy. But I like him enough that I am flying to California and one of my main goals is to replace the pictures of my family and Duffy that we lost when we lost our photopasses from WDW. So if we love him, then there is a purpose for him to be in there. Really not for everyone, but it kinda hurts my feeling for people to bash on something that I really like.

---------- Post added 10-24-2011 at 11:10 AM ----------

PS I agree with DuffyDaisuke that Duffy can really represent the quality gap between the idealized form of Disney (Disneyland) that is found in yesterland (photos and memories) and to a large degree in todays TDR Vs the american corporation today known as Disney Corp.

The point is taken that yes, the Duffy merchandise in Tokyo is better and more diverse with different stories and characters to imagine and pretend that duffy is as compared to that which can be found in WDW. I will be going to DLR in December 1-7, so I'll report back on any improvements or difference at the California location.

Alot of the ancilliary merchandise found at WDW like the keychain duffys were lower quality and bring down the overall display quality of Duffy merch. I also dont like how they have the smaller duffy's with a single outfit on. This clearly seems like a ploy to get Duffy fans to purchase an outfit that they can only get by purchasing the extra Duffy.

I would love to go to Tokyo to speak first hand on that end of the story, but I for now will just make a logical leap to say that Duffy merchandise in Tokyo has a great variety and just plain more to it.

So for the company to send it here without the quality and imagination that is embedded in the original meteoric expansion of this phenomenon is definitely highlighting Disney Corp's priority of not being creative, but only marketable.

thanks if youve read.
    aloha
    Cedar

Until I started coming to this site, I had never even heard of Duffy the Bear. I still don't know who Duffy is. So i can't really say whether it's a cash-in or not.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Simply put: yes. Duffy is hugely popular in Japan, for cultural reasons doubtless. Disney wanted to make that merch money here, so Duffy crossed to this continent: it's not really a secret they brought it over to try and sell a lot, not because it supported a film or a attraction or was inherently awesome on it's own: it's just a bear. Some like it here, but fact remains Duffy is basically a failed trend in American parks. Lacks any sort of wide appeal or interest, and was intended solely to move units like it does in Japan.
    I completely agree with you on this fact. But what is really sad is they tried to do this without selling the created backstory that Tokyo Disney created for Duffy. They just plopped him into the park and hoped people would go nuts! I do have to say though I think he is cute and my daughter loved him but that doesn't change the point that Duffy is all about the merch sale!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• I also like Stitch!

Please. If Walt had developed Duffy before he died, would everybody hate Duffy. No. Please, everyone, Disney is going through a dark time in the parks at the moment with everything being overpriced. Mickey has a dog so why can't he have a Teddy Bear. Granted, the way Duffy is executed if shameless, but, Duffy needs to get the Tokyo backstory, have an entire rehaul in quality and costumes, and eliminate all evidence of the former Duffy.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    Please. If Walt had developed Duffy before he died, would everybody hate Duffy.
    I'm not in love with all the characters Walt created. So I think to say if Walt made it, everyone would love it can be a stretch.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• I also like Stitch!

Yes, but what about everyone else. I hate Cinderella, who was a Walt character, everyone else seems to love her.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    I'm not in love with all the characters Walt created. So I think to say if Walt made it, everyone would love it can be a stretch.
    ITA with this. The characters that are favorites are favorites because they're strongly defined, they're eye catching, they're pretty or handsome or interesting looking, people identify with or like their stories, and they're infused with some sort of personality that resonates with their fans.

I don't think Walt's involvement would change that...everyone has their favorites and least-favorites and the artist/creator doesn't usually come into play. If a character is a dud or doesn't resonate with people, it doesn't matter who created it, it still won't work.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    ITA with this. The characters that are favorites are favorites because they're strongly defined, they're eye catching, they're pretty or handsome or interesting looking, people identify or like their stories, and they're infused with some sort of personality that resonates with their fans.

I don't think Walt's involvement would change that...everyone has their favorites and least-favorites and the artist/creator doesn't usually come into play.
    nice post
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

One never knows what people will like. Marketing something may start out by being thoroughly researched. However, things don't always turn out as expected. Many factors go into the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Simply put: yes. Duffy is hugely popular in Japan, for cultural reasons doubtless. Disney wanted to make that merch money here, so Duffy crossed to this continent: it's not really a secret they brought it over to try and sell a lot, not because it supported a film or a attraction or was inherently awesome on it's own: it's just a bear. Some like it here, but fact remains Duffy is basically a failed trend in American parks. Lacks any sort of wide appeal or interest, and was intended solely to move units like it does in Japan.
    I don't think anyone can deny he was brought over to make some money for the company. It has, right? I hear all the time that the disney bear sells out and people purchase in bulk. Honestly, I went to Japan and didn't get the fascination. I guess cartoons were released over there, so maybe that has something to do with it also. But I can say that although I was confused about how people mobbed Duffy in Japan, I am just as bewildered by peoples hatred of him (not you, nor am I singling referring to anyone on here... I have one friend in particular). I guess I don't understand the feelings at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Not being from Japan myself... being the SoCal guy that I am, I like him. He is just a bear, a cute bear. I don't own one (maybe one day), but I love going to his short little meet and greet and hanging out with him. I guess I just appreciate all Disney characters

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast