View Poll Results: Duffy the Disney Bear - Soul-less Ripoff Surely?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes indeed. What an abomination.

56 43.08%
  • Certainly not. I love the little darling.

40 30.77%
  • I have no opinion on the matter but still wish to vote.

27 20.77%
  • Duffy the what now?

7 5.38%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Duffy the Disney Bear - A Shameless Cash In?

Duffy has replaced the previous, and in my opinion cuter Teddy Bear, in the Christmas Parade on the lead float. Yeah, that's a shameless cash it. (Not to mention the dozens of duff's that were used by little girls in the taping of the Disney Christmas special.)

And has been said in other topics, the most blatant shameless part of cashing in on this bear is that it had a far different entry into Disney, than practically every other Disney Character. (It's not from a Disney movie, nor is it part of a major attraction in DL or WDW.

It's taking something that is a distinct American part of history, the Teddy Bear, even being named after a US President, and blatantly brands it on the face and feet, and also Duff's own Duff, with Disney's own most recognizable figure.

Oh, one other obvious proof of being a shameless cash in is this entire second attempt at pushing duff in the US parks, when it already fail once previously, nearly 10 years ago.

And you have to question Disney about why on earth they would name a bear Duffy, when they are already famous for a stuffed toy bear named Pooh. And DUFFY is their idea for this newer stuffed bear's name?!?!?! And the sailor suit, really, I suppose he just ripped it off Donald Duck. Naw, Disney has done far better with other bears, from Humphrey Bear to the Country Bears , heck even Brother Bear has more of a legitimate Disney right, than Duffy.

• Minion

I dont care what anyone says i like him and hes great IMO

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Even though it was introduced long after their departure, Duffy seems like it would be a Pressler era invention.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• film975

I wonder how many people realize that without profit a company like Disney wouldn't even exist? Nor would their theme parks we all know and love?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I wonder how many people realize that without profit a company like Disney wouldn't even exist? Nor would their theme parks we all know and love?
    I dunno. I don't think anyone expects Disney to be a non-profit; they're there to make money and we all know that. But a lot of the things Disney does that generate income also are things that connect with fans in a major way, e.g., you don't mind spending a lot on a park ticket, an AP, merchandise or pins because they grab you and you appreciate the quality/experience et al.

I think that some of the issues some have with Duffy have to do with the fact that he's not seen as a character that resonates or connects, so it seems that Disney is concerned ONLY with cash flow and not with putting out the time or effort to develop Duffy into a character that appeals to a huge crowd in the way he does in Japan.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Bespinally said:
    This is the Disney Teddy Bear. Get used to it.
    So I guess we should just get used to unimaginative generic stuff that Disney is pushing?
    Maybe Disney should market a Slinky with the backstory that it was once used by Mickey when he was but just a baby rodent.....

Its called imagination. Go buy one.

Maybe you should be saying this to the Disney Company.....

“No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Meh...Duffy doesn't bother me. I got a kid on the way so my wife and I are gonna pick one up for the baby.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    So I guess we should just get used to unimaginative generic stuff that Disney is pushing?
    Maybe Disney should market a Slinky with the backstory that it was once used by Mickey when he was but just a baby rodent.....

Well, Pixar did capture Slinky Dog, and Mickey has already "branded" slinky:

---------- Post added 11-23-2011 at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    I dont care what anyone says i like him and hes great IMO
    That's fine, I even bought a few of the original Duffy's at the Character warehouse, several years ago. And I kinda like the many pastle Duffy's they used to have, BUT that doesn't take away from the fact that Disney is shamelessly attempting to cash in and make a profit from Duffy,

And we'll see how much longer they will attempt to push him in the US. He's certainly not as profitable as they were hoping for.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

---------- Post added 11-23-2011 at 07:38 PM ----------

That's fine, I even bought a few of the original Duffy's at the Character warehouse, several years ago. And I kinda like the many pastle Duffy's they used to have, BUT that doesn't take away from the fact that Disney is shamelessly attempting to cash in and make a profit from Duffy,

And we'll see how much longer they will attempt to push him in the US. He's certainly not as profitable as they were hoping for.
    Like I said, unimaginative generic stuff.......
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Looks like the same "Slinky" material (minus the shape) that we buy from Oriental Trading.
    And with OT, we only spend about 33¢ for each of them (and that's with them making a profit).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• I also like Stitch!

And people say Duffy is a shameless cash in? IT'S THE LOWEST QUALITY SLINKY I'VE WVER SEEN! At least Duffy has (some) quality.

•   
    • Minion

You know, I almost feel like going to buy a Duffy because I feel sorry for the poor unloved bear...not criticizing any thoughts in this thread (since I agree with many of them).

• Under that tree again!

Pins have been around a long time that included a enormous array of subject matter.

Shame on Disney for making up this whole trading craze, that already existed.

• I also like Stitch!

I direct you to my previous post all of you Duffy Haters

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I wasn't at all familiar with Duffy when I heard he had crossed the pond. If there was a movie tie-in or something similar, it would be understandable. We saw him when we were at the Park last time and it seemed out of place in an area full of familiar faces.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast