View Poll Results: Duffy the Disney Bear - Soul-less Ripoff Surely?

Voters
130. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes indeed. What an abomination.

56 43.08%
  • Certainly not. I love the little darling.

40 30.77%
  • I have no opinion on the matter but still wish to vote.

27 20.77%
  • Duffy the what now?

7 5.38%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Duffy the Disney Bear - A Shameless Cash In?

One thing new to me when visiting DL was (shudder) Duffy the Disney Bear.

To me, Duffy is a soul-less exercise in extracting additional dollars from their guests.

The design and quality of the actual bear is sub-Build a Bear Workshop and the outfits are disgustingly over-priced.

I recognize pins and vinylmations to be just as much of a money-making exercise, but at least they feature Disney characters, have an element of artistry and are inherently collectable. Duffy and his/her (?) outfits are simply a rip-off. Build-a-Bear at DTD even stocks its own range of Disney costumes so what is the point?

The fact that there is a meet and greet of this creature quite simply boggles my mind.

I am sure everyone else agrees so lets have a nice gentle discussion on the subject....
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Duffy the Disney Bear - A Shameless Cash In?

Simply put: yes. Duffy is hugely popular in Japan, for cultural reasons doubtless. Disney wanted to make that merch money here, so Duffy crossed to this continent: it's not really a secret they brought it over to try and sell a lot, not because it supported a film or a attraction or was inherently awesome on it's own: it's just a bear. Some like it here, but fact remains Duffy is basically a failed trend in American parks. Lacks any sort of wide appeal or interest, and was intended solely to move units like it does in Japan.

• Become part of MY world!

Seriously? ANOTHER thread about this? This is definitely beating a dead horse. I personally love the little bear and am an avid collector, though mostly Japanese costumes. Do I wish they would make better quality Duffy merch in the states? Hell yes, but I certainly don't see him as a failure. And I don't think Disney does either, he just had his one year anniversary, with strong sales numbers and a promise for a bigger presence in the future. They are even rumors they're bringing Shellie May here too. I just really hope Disney really ups the quality to compete with the Japanese product. before they bring here here. Oh and btw, his US costumes, to me, are a hell of a lot cheaper than what I have to pay for the TDS merch, the costumes go for around $50 there, but you get what you pay for(at least to me). Here, the costumes are poorly constructed and lack imagination. Actually a lot of us DSTARs, get out costumes from BAB. But I really don't see Duffy leaving the states any times soon, especially since they're extending his presence to other Disney resorts around the world including Aluani, Disney Cruise Line, and this Christmas, Paris.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• Senior Minion

As I pointed out in my OP, Duffy is new to me and so I was blissfully unaware of any previous Duffy-bashing.

I am interested in the debate as to whether Duffy is considered a success or not. I suspect the mark -on the bear and the costumes is so high that Disney does not need to shift too many units to make a massive profit and hence see it as a success.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Duffy is not really a success in America. Not exactly a failure, but failing to meet expectations at least.

It was brought over to America because the Japanese loved it. They thought there must be something to it, so they brought him over here to try and light that fire again. It was a surprise success in Japan, so it never originated from some horrible merchandising plot (unlike pin trading and vinylmation).

At the very least Duffy is a unique character not descending from any existing film property, only tangentially connected to Mickey and Minnie. I thought everybody wanted more characters unique to the parks?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Simply put, I was stating, Duffy does not seem to have a visible fanbase here even the way the vinylmation does. He failed to meet expectations of being very popular in America: no more, no less. I've nothing against the character but it doesn't seem to inspire large amounts of interest either. Nothing wrong with trying introduce a new character into the mix, but interest on any kind of large scale just doesn't seem to be there...that can be said entirely withput malice, and I don't think people 'hate' Duffy as a whole either.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I am not a huge fan of Duffy, personally, but I'm just sort of neutral on the subject. It's obvious that there are folks that love him/her/it, but it's clear that they brought it over to make some extra moo-lah. Doesn't appear that it is being the big money maker that they thought it would be over here at least from what I can tell.

• Dreams Do Come True!

Don't poop yourselves but apparently Duffy is going to replace the teddy bear in A Christmas Fantasy Parade this year, sooooooo... Yeah.... Don't say I didn't warn you.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    Seriously? ANOTHER thread about this? This is definitely beating a dead horse. I personally love the little bear and am an avid collector, though mostly Japanese costumes. Do I wish they would make better quality Duffy merch in the states? Hell yes, but I certainly don't see him as a failure. And I don't think Disney does either, he just had his one year anniversary, with strong sales numbers and a promise for a bigger presence in the future. They are even rumors they're bringing Shellie May here too. I just really hope Disney really ups the quality to compete with the Japanese product. before they bring here here. Oh and btw, his US costumes, to me, are a hell of a lot cheaper than what I have to pay for the TDS merch, the costumes go for around $50 there, but you get what you pay for(at least to me). Here, the costumes are poorly constructed and lack imagination. Actually a lot of us DSTARs, get out costumes from BAB. But I really don't see Duffy leaving the states any times soon, especially since they're extending his presence to other Disney resorts around the world including Aluani, Disney Cruise Line, and this Christmas, Paris.
    This. Totally. I could really not agree more. I've liked Duffy since he was known as Disney Bear. I always thought he was adorable but just never got around to getting one. Then he disappeared from the stores at WDW and showed up in Japan with a big of a makeover, a proper name and an entire new backstory. And he just took off like wildfire in Tokyo.

I too wish Disney would come out with better quality costumes and outfits for Duffy here in the States. I only bought a few that I felt looked the best (most look really flimsy and cheap). In comparison, the costumes that TDS releases are very high quality with better material and details (i.e.: actual buttons instead of an embroidered circle representing a button). I get the rest of the clothes at Build-A-Bear, but now my aunt is working on some custom outfits and costumes for both my Duffy and my Shellie May, which is how things really took off for these bears in Japan. Lots of fans make their own special outfits for the bears and a lot of them are HIGHLY detailed. You'd be absolutely amazed at what some people have come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    Duffy is not really a success in America. Not exactly a failure, but failing to meet expectations at least.

It was brought over to America because the Japanese loved it. They thought there must be something to it, so they brought him over here to try and light that fire again. It was a surprise success in Japan, so it never originated from some horrible merchandising plot (unlike pin trading and vinylmation).

At the very least Duffy is a unique character not descending from any existing film property, only tangentially connected to Mickey and Minnie. I thought everybody wanted more characters unique to the parks?
    I agree with this as well. My problem is that most people who bash Duffy don't seem to understand what he's really about. To Disney here in the States they obviously want to use him as a cash cow because they saw how popular his is in Japan and wanted a piece of the action. That's blatantly obvious. But Duffy's true fans know he is more than that. Much more. To me, Duffy is about having fun, going on adventures and making new friends everywhere he goes. And that's been true for me. I take my Duffy and Shellie May with me lots of places (WDW, Busch Gardens, baseball games, etc.) and everywhere they go, people comment how cute they are. I've had more than one person say to me about Duffy, "He's one happy bear!" He sure is!

I know there are some who's minds are made up about Duffy. But to those who are still on the fence... give the little furry guy a chance. Read a little more into his backstory and history. See how us Duffy fans are trying to show he's more than about making money. To us, Duffy about spreading joy and love and happiness to everyone he meets. You can NOT deny he's cute (anyone who thinks Duffy isn't cute must be dead inside or something). You should come check out the Duffy forum here on MC sometime and see for yourself how us Duffy fans here in the States adore that little bear and the fun we have with him.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by serviceelevator View Post
    Don't poop yourselves but apparently Duffy is going to replace the teddy bear in A Christmas Fantasy Parade this year, sooooooo... Yeah.... Don't say I didn't warn you.
    Hmmm, really? I have pictures of Duffy on the float from last years parade.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by serviceelevator View Post
    OMG! are you serious!???? WOW!! Well i just don't know what to say to that, but i did poop myself

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Duffy is garbage. My kids who LOVE to visit face and costume characters of all sorts in the parks, when asked if they wanted to go say "Hi" to Duffy as there was no line, simply said no. That is how I gauge the popularity/failure in my house, and he is a flop.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Yes..... nothing more than an attempt to cash in on his success in TDL......... it works there, not here, it's nothing more than a shameless attempt to cash in on something that does not translate well to the U.S. but sells a lot in Japan....

It's really shameless...... there's not much worse I could say about it...... there's little support for it here....... yeah, he's cuddly, but he's not "Lot's-o-Huggin Bear"..... not that HE was cuddly either.......

• Blew By You

Can't say he's a horrible failure. Some folks like him. Someone in the management tent must really love him. He'll likely be around a while. Pan the Man, Duffy is a definite miss with my daughter. And she knows who she really likes. It ain't Duffy.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

I think Duffy would be cuter if he looked more like his walk-around character counterpart. Cause the dolls Disney sells isn't very cute. His nose is kind of... pointy, while the walk-around character has a rounder shaped nose and is a lot better looking. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast