Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• DLR Cast Member

Re: New Details About Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe and other Main Street Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    The sandwiches sound to die for! I just hope they are fresh, and not like the ones that currently sit in the display cases all day.
    They will be. The setup will be a fast casual setting roughly similar to DCA's Paradise Garden dining facilities. Also, I found out from a foods CM on Main Street that the park has been conducting food testing with park Guests over the past few weeks. From what I hear, the guest raction so far has been generally positive about the new food offerings coming to the location.

Stay tuned. I for one am really looking forward to the new dining location, which is much needed in DL.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Since the old Plaza Pavilion already had kind of Victorian look about it, I'm not expecting big changes to the exterior.
    Having been behind the construction walls, I can report on this somewhat. There are indeed structural exterior changes, but they're in the same style as what was there before. he casual eye won't notice much of a difference. The biggest difference will be in the abundance of seating, and improved guest flow.

• Minion

Re: New Details About Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe and other Main Street Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    They will be. The setup will be a fast casual setting roughly similar to DCA's Paradise Garden dining facilities. Also, I found out from a foods CM on Main Street that the park has been conducting food testing with park Guests over the past few weeks. From what I hear, the guest raction so far has been generally positive about the new food offerings coming to the location.

Stay tuned. I for one am really looking forward to the new dining location, which is much needed in DL.
    Good to hear, especially since there is that kitchen in the location. It will be nice to have more dining options with a nice seating area. i hope they ramp up the shade covering.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I don't think the theme miss-match is much of a big deal here. I'm thinking this is 1900s America and thinking maybe it's British immigrants starting up their own bakery. At least that's one way to see it.

Now if you want theme miss-match, let me refer you to 75% of the Pixar film attractions currently in existent throughout the globe.
    Nice positive spin.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    There are two things that come to mind when reading this:

1. If one must use their imagination and be creative to see how something fits into the theme of the area, it probably doesn't.

2. Past theme violations are no excuse for current ones.
    But isn't that what part of Disney is all about? Using your imagination and creativity to experience what is there?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Sounds delicious! Very excited for these changes. From what I have heard, the Jolly Holiday Bakery is not in your face Mary Poppins (only Mary is going to be a little weather vane so I hear), but more inspired by motifs and art direction of the movie, especially the Jolly Holiday scene. Just a fun, little connection that some will get and see and some honestly won't. I have no problem with a British-esque bakery on Main Street, it honestly is not farfetched and could have been. Oh btw, has anyone ever seen the Chinese restaurant on Main Street? I recently discovered it while waiting for a friend to use the restroom. Look above the entrance to the "arcade" behind the Fortuosity shop and there you'll see it, wooden looking blinds and all. It's really a nice little touch that alludes to the effect of the mass immigration on American towns throughout the early 1900's.
    Which ties in nicely with toonaspie's post.....

I was skeptical at first, but I think they can make it work well. And the new menu sounds interesting. Something besides the same old sandwiches and burgers and thats never a bad thing to have some variety in the park food wise.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I don't think the theme miss-match is much of a big deal here. I'm thinking this is 1900s America and thinking maybe it's British immigrants starting up their own bakery. At least that's one way to see it.
    Wow, you might be closer to reality than you realized. What I had heard is that the location backstory (and as we know, every location gets a backstrory written by Imagineering long before construction designs are drafted) is very close to what you suggested. I haven't mentioned it here because it's second hand knowlege for me, so I can't confirm it with any concrete assuredness. But it sounds quite logical, given that the Imageer backstory to the Paradise Garden area is similar (Italian immigrants coming to the area at the turn of the century). It would indeed explain the theming.

Oh, and for all who say it's a "marketing ploy", Imagineering dictates theming to management and marketing, not the other way around.

---------- Post added 10-22-2011 at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Good to hear, especially since there is that kitchen in the location. It will be nice to have more dining options with a nice seating area. i hope they ramp up the shade covering.
    I "think" that's the plan, but I'm honestly not sure what the details are on that. I'm gonna wild-guess it and say they'll probably increase the amount of shade trees, and incorporate more of the shade umbrellas, similar to what's at the Carnation Cafe. Again, that's just an insider's wilde guess on my part.

• Senior Minion

WDI knows full well which side its bread is buttered on, and has for over two decades. They know that franchise brand marketing is the name of the game, and they play accordingly. The myth that WDI dictates what gets greenlit (or even what gets pitched) is just that -- a myth.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The myth that WDI dictates what gets greenlit (or even what gets pitched) is just that -- a myth.
    Having several family members who work for WDI, I know for a fact that's absolute B.S.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^so your an insider? Or just saying what you think goes on

• Disneyland History Lover

Sounds interesting. I'm wondering what will be done to Coke Corner. I wouldn't mind a bit more of a menu there, so we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by kibia16 View Post
    We love it when our favorite spots expand, and as Erin posted in August, there are some big changes coming forMain Street, U.S.A., in 2012. Here’s what you can look for:

The Blue Ribbon Bakery is moving and getting a new name: Jolly Holiday Bakery Café, from the “Mary Poppins” song, “Oh, it’s a jolly holiday with Mary …” The bakery moves to the Plaza Pavilion (at the top of Main Street, U.S.A.) with plans to open in early January. In addition to the bakery and espresso offerings, the new menu has some delicious new tastes, such as an Angus roast beef salad with blue cheese; a Caprese sandwich with tomatoes, Buffalo mozzarella, basil, butter lettuce and garlic aioli on toasted focaccia bread; and a classic pastrami reuben on rye.

Carnation Café is expanding with more indoor seating – the Blue Ribbon Bakery move is part of that expansion plan, as Carnation Café spreads out to take over the space and offer more air-conditioned seating. Work starts in January, and they’ll have a new menu that will showcase longtime favorites (and we’ve heard it includes milkshakes).

Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor is getting a little makeover, too, and adding root beer, Coca-Cola and orange cream floats to the menu. And the block makeover wraps up at Refreshment Corner – construction starts early next year. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for details.
    Guess that solves the hub not being a part of Main Street debate.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Lets not try to call out other members affiliation with the mouse. We have a lot of cast members and former cast members of various levels of involvement with the company. If they wish to divulge their connection is one thing, but we here at MiceChat try to respect their privacy and the fact that Disney does monitor these boards and we do not want anyone to get into trouble with the mouse. Take what members say at face value, or choose not to believe it but respect the other members.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Since I'm a CM in a unique role, I try to take reasonable steps in my post to denote when I'm posting facts, speculation, opinion, etc. In this case, I can state this as a fact.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I like the sound of the new menu, and honestly...I don't think people won't eat there if they like the sound of the food items on offer because they approach a Victorian looking building named in a faintly British style sitting between a Coca-Cola themed location and a tiki mask and faux-human skull lined 'tropical' bridge.

Being concerned of Disneyland's detail level and shift in focus to character tie ins as a discussion point does have merit, of course...but this is not a store designed to promote an already popular 45-year old movie, or titled "MARY POPPINS' FAVORITE BAKERY". The name has British undertones, yes, but until anyone sees the interior (which no one here has that can discuss in detail), the idea that somehow it will be over the top or selling Poppins merchandise (unlikely) or beating you over the head with a 'brand' is speculation based on zero hard facts.

For a long time, and I've not seen criticism of this that I can recall, Frontierland was home to a restaurant straight up themed to modern syrup/pancake company Aunt Jemima, with her Pancake House. Definitive corporate tie-in far more obvious than this as the company was owned by Quaker Oats in 1955 and had nothing to do with the 'frontier' as presented around it. People ate their anyway because presumably they served good pancakes.

The discussion of the shift in how projects get chosen for Disneyland is a worthy one, but I wouldn't expect a name of a food service location and at most a few images inside relating to the film's artwork as the most likely thing to bother customers or somehow cheapen the actual food or service, or even to weaken general perception of the park upon seeing it. Just my two cents.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Lets not try to call out other members affiliation with the mouse. We have a lot of cast members and former cast members of various levels of involvement with the company. If they wish to divulge their connection is one thing, but we here at MiceChat try to respect their privacy and the fact that Disney does monitor these boards and we do not want anyone to get into trouble with the mouse. Take what members say at face value, or choose not to believe it but respect the other members.
    Thanks. The Company has no particular problem with CM's posting on public sites. The only time it's an issue is if a CM posts info that's proprietary or contains trade secrets (and yes, any CM that does so should, imo, be summarily separated from the company, since it's an obvious lack of integrity).

I choose not to be too specific about my role partly due to a desire to keep my anonymity, and also to preserve the integrity of the role which I'm in. Suffice it to say I interact with a lot of people, and related to several CM's and am also related to a Disney Legend (who was actually the one who kept hounding me for years to apply with the Company, something I resisted for a while).
    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The name has British undertones, yes, but until anyone sees the interior (which no one here has that can discuss in detail), the idea that somehow it will be over the top or selling Poppins merchandise (unlikely) or beating you over the head with a 'brand' is speculation based on zero hard facts.
    I'm one of the folks who has seen the interior (which is still under heavy construction), and has also seen the architectural renderings. I can't give details, but you're pegging it right. It won't disappoint.
    For a long time, and I've not seen criticism of this that I can recall, Frontierland was home to a restaurant straight up themed to modern syrup/pancake company Aunt Jemima, with her Pancake House. Definitive corporate tie-in far more obvious than this as the company was owned by Quaker Oats in 1955 and had nothing to do with the 'frontier' as presented around it.
    Dont' forget the old Red Wagon Inn (now the Plaza Inn), which some could argue was more appropriate for Frontierland, since the original logo was a frontier-era horse-drawn open wagon.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 10-22-2011 at 11:03 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I for one, would like to know if a particular poster is working for the Disney Company or not. Someone who works for Disney would certainly be more restricted as to what they can and cannot say on in public. Where as someone who does not work for disney is more free to express their true thoughts and concerns about the company.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Someone who works for Disney would certainly be more restricted as to what they can and cannot say on in public.
    That just ain't so. I've been openly critical of TWDC several times when I felt it was appropriate. And I'm still here. When CM's like myself post on public forums, whether it's here, other blog sites, or social networking sites like Facebook, we're doing so as individuals, and not as representatives of the Company. The only thing we can't do is publicize information which is a trade secret or proprietary. But that is a rule that most companies have for their employees.
    Where as someone who does not work for disney is more free to express their true thoughts and concerns about the company.
    There are several CM's who post here, and if you can find a CM who feels they're not free to express their true thoughts and concerns here, feel free. Speaking for myself, enever I post opinions or viewpoints (as opposed to facts), I've always expressed my true thoughts and concerns here, and have never done anything less. When it comes to facts, I only post factual information that I know it permissible to be made public.

the caprese sandwich sounds awesome. i tend to leave the park for lunch, because there aren't many vegetarian options i like, but this sounds good. happy to have more choices!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12