The Lawrence Welk Show

On PBS they are airing an episode featuring Disney tributes lol...some of the goofiest stuff I've ever seen, but it's entertaining to watch.

---------- Post added 10-22-2011 at 08:00 PM ----------

Here's a little taste for you.
    Welk Boys and Girls - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious - YouTube

---------- Post added 10-22-2011 at 08:04 PM ----------

Found some other Disney clips if anyone is interested
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4byns_TlLUk&feature=related]Lawrence Welk Orchestra - Medley from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - YouTube[/URL]

and
    It's A Small World - Myron Floren, Richard Maloof, Neil LeVang and Cast.wmv - YouTube
    Last edited by StarDustFairy; 10-22-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Minion

Re: The Lawrence Welk Show

We watched it, it was very good. We actually watch that show frequently. I know it's considered a corny, old-fashioned show, but they frequently dug up gems of songs that rarely get performed nowadays. It's really a good archive of the "Great American Songbook" as some might call it. And Lawrence always hired the best singers, musicians and dancers. Musicians like Bob Ralston, JoAnn Castle and Myron Floren were good enough to have had shows of their own.

The Disney show was fun and most of the songs were good selections. They did 5 songs from Mary Poppins! The only thing I thought didn't work too well was the "We Are Siamese If You Please" song from Lady and the Tramp. Although that song works in the movie, I don't think it's good as a stand-alone song. I was mystified by the "Lavender Blue Ditty-Ditty" song that Ralna English and Guy Hovis sang... what movie is that from? But otherwise it was an enjoyable show. Norma Zimmer singing "When You Wish Upon A Star" was great, almost brought tears to my eyes. That should be the official theme song of Disneyland.

• Minion

"Lavender Blue" is an Oscar-nominated song from Walt Disney's "So Dear to My Heart" (1948) originally sung by Burl Ives (who also had a hit recording of the tune).

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Don't forget that LW also brought us the Mills Brothers, Dick Dale, and the Lennon Sisters.

• Minion

ORDDU: Oh, send up those champagne bubbles again! Lawrence Welk was the most hip and edgy entertainer since the Ink Spots. How a witch yearns for those good old days again. Aside from Lawrence Welk you had Ozzie & Harriet, The Donna Reed Show, Dennis the Mennis, Mr. Ed, Leave it to Beaver and, of course, The Wonderful World of Color. Why can't Time stand still and why can't those who prefer those good old days live in that Time period forever????

• Hooterville, USA

A one and a two and a.............................

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Dont make me unfriend you

I love how they have commercials for hearing aides when they air it locally here.

EDIT: Do you think that the cast ever looks back at these old clips and ask themselves,"What the heck was I wearing?"
    Last edited by Garrett240; 10-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.

• 'Til DEATH do us part...

Az, or not as close to Disneyland as I'd like to be :(

lol I was sooo gonna post about this since my tv is ALWAYS on PBS. I usually don't watch that show, but I watched the whole thing last night with a smile on my face.
    "We find it delightfully unlivable here in this ghostly retreat. Every room has wall-to-wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills. Shhh, listen!"
    -your host, your ghost host

Trips: 1992 1998 1999x2 2000 2007 2009 2011 2012 2014

Next Trip:
    ???

On Friday, October 14th, 2011, my boyfriend of 5 years proposed to me under the tunnel, right before the Court of Angels
    in Disneyland! Read my trip report about it here:http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/160167-dlr-mickeys-halloween-party-first-trip-report.html

Here is our honeymoon trip report from December 10th to the 15th 2012:http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...10th-15th.html

• Minion

Yes, I think they look back now and laugh at the costumes, sets, scenarios, and all the trappings, but I think they miss actually doing it. If you don't really watch and just listen, you really can notice that the musicians were all top-drawer, the singers excellent and the dancers top-notch as well. Little factoid: Lawrence insisted on performing the show without stopping, as if it were being broadcast live. He felt that gave it a more "live" edge and better performances.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Don't forget the person on the Lawrence Welk show that got their start as a Mouseketeer, Bobby Burgess.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    I love how they have commercials for hearing aides when they air it locally here.

EDIT: Do you think that the cast ever looks back at these old clips and ask themselves,"What the heck was I wearing?"
    ANYONE who lived through the 60's and 70's has old photo's of themselves of themselves that they can say the same thing about.

• MargyDisneylandLover

i love that episode...i wish seattle still had a pbs station carrying lawrence welk
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Minion

I love the "It's a Small World" costumes!

• socal native

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    Do you think that the cast ever looks back at these old clips and ask themselves,"What the heck was I wearing?"
    Some probably do, but I knew a few who never got over being on the show. Years ago I worked at Welk Resort in Escondido, and several former performers used to frequent the resort working and performing. I personally worked with a couple of the former champagne ladies and they never quite got past being on the show. Back in the 90s, they acted like they could get called up at any moment to revive the old days (and frankly still dressed like the show was still on).

• Bring back the Keelboats!

We used to watch that all the time! We even went to a taping when I was actually too young to be admitted. My dad promised up and down that I would be good and behave myself. We got in and... I was! lol

I fondly remember Bobby and Cissy!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!