Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is it time to phase out 3D movies?

Does anyone else think 3D has run it's course? Seriously thought, isn't time to start phasing out less impressive 3D shows for more impressive attractions?

• The Pumpkin King

Re: Is it time to phase out 3D movies?

3D was cool. But now its not as intresting anymore.

But I do like the 3D in star tours though.

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

I think it's fun, but when every movie comes out in 3D for the sake of saying it's in 3D is annoying. SOME (actually very few) movies actually are enhanced by the 3D.

I loved Toy Story 2 when it was in 3D. That opening scene was amazing and the part where Woody gets dropped in the trash... totally cool. AMAZING on the big screen. Avatar felt like it was missing something when I saw it in regular format. That part in Star Tours where the Speedster almost gets eaten and the tongue is licking the window gets me every time. I keep waiting for it to break through the glass.

I don't think it's run it's course. But yeah, I haven't seen a 3D movie in a while and really only go when I think there are some really cool things to see.

I like the park 3D movies. Mickey's Philharmagic at WDW is fantastic and a favourite of mine. The 3D movies in theatres I could do without. It ruins more movies than it enhances and the over inflated prices are annoying. It seems like every movie is 3D just to cash in on that extra potential profit. I hate it.

In my opinion....yes. I'd like the 3D movies in the Parks to be replaced with something else.

• Nutty about Disney parks

The 3D has never been effective in movie theaters for me. 3D only works when the entire film is designed for it like the Disney 3D shows. I wish that DL and WDW weren't carrying 3 of the same 3D shows. They should all be different IMO.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• A Dark Future

I wish 3D would stay in the theme parks. It's actually MuppetVision 3D that ruined any 3D movie for me in the theaters. I love MuppetVision, but every time I'm at a movie and something needlessly pops out at me (it happens in almost every 3D movie) all I hear is Fozzy saying "Did somebody say 'Cheap 3D tricks?!'"

Yeah. But in the parks I'm totally fine with it, because they're supposed to be gimmicky.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Niebzzz View Post
    I like the park 3D movies. Mickey's Philharmagic at WDW is fantastic and a favourite of mine. The 3D movies in theatres I could do without. It ruins more movies than it enhances and the over inflated prices are annoying. It seems like every movie is 3D just to cash in on that extra potential profit. I hate it.
    Oh yes some it could be kept but still there's some of them that should be phased out in my opinion.

---------- Post added 10-23-2011 at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I'm at a movie and something needlessly pops out at me (it happens in almost every 3D movie) all I hear is Fozzy saying "Did somebody say 'Cheap 3D tricks?!'"
    BAHAHA! Now I'm gonna be thinking about hat next time I go to the theater

• Senior Minion

Although the 3D bandwagon trundles on in movies, I still believe there is room for it in the parks. Whereas most cinema releases have 3D to 'add depth' (and an extra cost to the ticket), theme park 3D tends to be all about the gimmicks - which is fine by me. In fact most of the theme park 3D movies are '4D' (ie including additional real-life gimmicks to add to those on screen). With 3D more commonplace, I suspect that the new wave of park 3D movies will embrace more of this 4D to combat competition.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Sock Puppet

I do not feel 3D has run its course in the parks, after all Toy Story Midway Mania is one of my favorites, but I do think they could remove the 3D Movies shown in parks. It works great on attractions like Star Tours and Toy Story, but for me, I never see the movies, infact, in all of my years of going to the parks, I have only seen one movie one time, and it was because someone in my family from out of town wanted to see it...

• Blew By You

Well, I agree. 3-D is common now. It's not cutting edge. Mainstream. I guess in themed parks, it will serve a purpose. I recall another person writing that he'd like to see Soarin' in 3-D, and I would too.
    And Disney ought to have a library of 3-D stuff to trot out seasonally. It's probably difficult to do but well, that's supposedly the Disney philosophy.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    Seriously thought, isn't time to start phasing out less impressive 3D shows for more impressive attractions?
    Yup -- but no need to phase it out. It'll phase itself out, as Disney (and everyone else in town) rushes to flood the market with 3D-Everything. Consumers sooner than later will associate 3D glasses with quick-buck gimmickry, and will begin to Say No to the 3D upcharge. Just give it a few more years, and Disney's greed will have killed that golden goose.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I think if 3D is the primary show feature, then yes it's wow factor is not so attractive. Even with some added rumbles, air shots and water squirts, it's just not as interesting as it was maybe 10-20 years ago.

Star Tours has so much more going on that 3D is just part of the show. 3D itself can still enhance a show. That said, it's an E ticket level ride that just was refreshed. We'll have to wait and see what comes of Captain EO when it finally goes down. I hope we see more than just another 3D show with minor effects as a replacement.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Niebzzz View Post
    I like the park 3D movies. Mickey's Philharmagic at WDW is fantastic and a favourite of mine.
    After hearing about MP for so long
    when I finally got to WDW I went to see.
    I'm wondering if the over hype of it made me walk out of the presentation thinking, "is that all it was". Cute, but I guess I expected more. If I get back to WDW again, it's not on my list of shows to see again. It felt like a one time viewing type of show. Then again, my opinion and I think the over hype didn't help.
    I think some 3-D is great, but I'd wouldn't want to see a 3-D show built (or replace) instead of a quality, well themed and imagined attraction.

(I don't mind ITTBAB due the mixture of AA's, "film" and "4-D")
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 10-23-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

I must say that I do like the "gimmick" of "4D". The bubbles in Muppetvision, the wind in the Tron Legacy sneak peak, the rumbling of the seats in Captain EO when the ship crashes (NOT the bouncing to the final song) and the water of the termite in A Bug's Life.

I always feel a little disappointed when they don't work. I'm seriously tempted to see Nightmare Before Christmas in Hollywood. LOL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast