Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Disneyland Hotel Mid 1980's

While the buffets been there a while, I believe it was renamed Goofy's Kitchen around 1990-92, but my guess is 1992. I don't have the brochures in front of me, but I have some listing it under another name, but for sure I have pictures of me from 1992 in front of signage for Goofys Kitchen.. Of course, back in those days it was in a completely different and now non-existent building.

• -

I really miss the marina. I wish there was some way to bring it back, but since the invasion of Downtown Disney, there is just no other place to put the pool.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I have some concept sketches from the 60's on ideas for what would become the Marina. Different ideas were explored on what to do with that section of the Hotel.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
    While the buffets been there a while, I believe it was renamed Goofy's Kitchen around 1990-92, but my guess is 1992. I don't have the brochures in front of me, but I have some listing it under another name, but for sure I have pictures of me from 1992 in front of signage for Goofys Kitchen.. Of course, back in those days it was in a completely different and now non-existent building.
    Yep -- El Vaquero (a great steak house with Mexican specialties), the California Kitchen buffet and the Monorail Cafe were in the building adjoining the Sierra Pool, back in the days before Goofy's Kitchen and the toonification of the Disneyland Hotel.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

This is a plot plan made by Architects Weber & Nicholson in 1967 showing a concept idea for the area that would eventually become the Marina. When talking with Al Nicholson, he said that many ideas were discussed for this expansion of the Disneyland Hotel in regards to the area south of the new Tower building. This is but one of those ideas. I have some beautiful renderings as well.

I wonder how this would have been received given that there was already a mini-golf course already right across the street? This drawing is from 1967 when things started becoming finalized for the huge expansion the Hotel had planned. Of course, the Marina would go into this spot but what if they had gone through with this idea?

---------- Post added 10-25-2011 at 09:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
    My main area of focus and the overwhelming bulk of my collection deals with the Wrather years or until 1988. After that, I don't have a lot of information......some, but not a lot. I have been asked about doing a book covering the Disney years of the Hotel. Sounds interesting....now if this darn day job wouldn't get in the way!

I've only stayed there once, and that was in Sept of 1989 for a convention. At that time I wasn't overly impressed with the rooms at the convention price, let alone the usual listed price. I would say the place was "tired" by that point in time. I do miss Sergeant Preston's tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    I've only stayed there once, and that was in Sept of 1989 for a convention. At that time I wasn't overly impressed with the rooms at the convention price, let alone the usual listed price. I would say the place was "tired" by that point in time. I do miss Sergeant Preston's tho.
    I hear that a lot. I will say though, right around 1989, Disney started working their "magic" on the place and they did implement many changes for the better. The poor Hotel suffered while in sales limbo between Wrather and Disney.

• Tourist

Thanks for those great photos. Our first stay at the DLH was in 1983, and your photos bring back some great memories.

We always made our reservations through the old Magic Kingdom Club. Those were fun times.

Can someone tell me about the marina?? Not having ever been to the Disneyland Hotel, with the exception of using the monorail only, I never knew such a thing existed. Was there a man-made lake behind there and if so, how big are we talking here? It is a long ways from the ocean so I am curious.

Probably better to show you with pictures. First picture is an overhead (from 1979) showing most of the Hotel property.

---------- Post added 10-25-2011 at 03:31 PM ----------

Next is a close-up of the Marina from this overhead. It will give you an idea of where it was at and how big it was.

---------- Post added 10-25-2011 at 03:34 PM ----------

And even closer still:

---------- Post added 10-25-2011 at 03:40 PM ----------

And finally, here is a color shot of the Marina literally days before they tore it down from 1999.

Wow, thanks for the pics. It must have been very picturesque in its day. How beautiful!! It would be nice to head back to the hotel after a loud day in the park and relax next to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    Wow, thanks for the pics. It must have been very picturesque in its day. How beautiful!! It would be nice to head back to the hotel after a loud day in the park and relax next to the water.
    It was beautiful and also very relaxing. Dinner next to the water was also nice. I remember a few times just setting on the wharf area and listening to the band playing on a beautiful summer evening. Pure bliss.

• Greetings, Program!

Would've been nice to be able to afford to stay at this hotel back then, but alas I was just a young'un and making barely enough to pay rent.

I wouldn't pay to stay at the DLH of today.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I really miss the marina. I wish there was some way to bring it back, but since the invasion of Downtown Disney, there is just no other place to put the pool.
    I actually did a DLR site plan years ago I was going to put up but never got around to, that proposed reinstating the marina as a new resort feature. I did a quick Photoshop mockup below:

My thinking was that eventually (possibly decades from now), the Paradise Pier Hotel could be demolished, and replaced with a more low-level, Victorian themed waterfront resort based on the Hotel del Coranado:

While part of the hotel would retain the current hotel's views of DCA, the new hotel would have to be much more sprawled across ground level to compensate for the rooms lost from the tower. To act as the hotel's new northern edge (and to give the guests in the new extension something to look at), the bottom floor of the hotel would instead be filled with shops and restaurants across a waterfront boardwalk, much like the Boardwalk hotel at WDW.

The Paradise Pier Hotel waterfront would wrap around a new marina, which would be shared with the Disneyland Hotel's southern tower. The new marina could have all the same paddle boats and rental stuff that the original had, and could be sort of "middle ground" between the PPH and the DLH. The idea was that instead of the current PPH hotel which has 3/4 of the rooms looking out over parking lots, the new Victorian hotel would have every room looking out over some kind of water feature. The eastern edge would have DCA's Paradise Bay and World of Color, the northern edge would have the new marina, and the southern edge would look out over a new water park which I never really defined.

This was all part of a "resort district" proposal I came up with that would sort of unite the three hotels around some shared amenities, and might give the DLR a more immersive, WDW-like feel overall. My thinking was that with the new marina, the water park, and even a new mini-golf course (I once started a thread about that idea here), DLR guests would feel like spending much more of their time on property.

Just a pipe dream, I guess.

Yeah, I have some good memories of the old DLH. I stayed there twice, once in the late 80's, then again in the early 90's. But I have fond memories of my wife and I taking our two young kids to the hotel to see the dancing waters show and fireworks from the parking lot. Also, at times my wife and I would leave the kids at home and go to the Neon Cactus! We had family come in from the East Coast once, and we ate breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen in the late 80's (the original one). It moved locations after that, and of course both of those locations are now torn down and part of downtown Disney where the AMC Theater and ESPN Zone are located, I think.

I also have fond memories of going through the waterfalls with the kids. That loss hurt the most. As well as taking the kids Ice skating on a floating barge in the marina during the Christmas holidays. I too, miss that marina.

Thanks so much for all of the great photos, Don! I still need to get your book! As much as I love Disneyland History, the hotel is just as interesting, and still connected directly to Walt. I also had the pleasure of attending a private party at the Wrather Suite (which was rather sweet!) right before they closed it down to do the re-model of the whole tower. It was in pretty outdated, and still looked like it was a snapshot right out of the early 80's, but man you could tell it was opulent back then!

But with all of the loss, time marches on and I have high hopes for the new look and amenities. I do hope they do as good a job as they are in DCA! I have been staying away from the property for the most part (other than visiting the waterfalls right before they closed, and visiting the Jack Wrather Suite) so that I can get the full effect once it is all done.
    Last edited by rstar; 10-26-2011 at 06:37 AM.
    Hollywood Gift Collections
    www.startowngifts.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast