Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Undercover Disney Fan

Re: Disneyland Hotel Mid 1980's

GREAT POST!

I have awesome memories of the hotel of old in the mid to late 80's with my girlfriend at the time. It made for such a neat (and cheap) date night. Sitting along the marina watching the sun go down and the lights around us getting brighter. Playing air hockey in the "underwater" arcade. Watching the Dancing Waters show. Strolling along the waterfalls. Just great fun.
    [link='http://www.mickeypath.com/']
    [img noborder]http://www.mickeypath.com/id/1280300455.png[/img]
    [/link]

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I actually did a DLR site plan years ago I was going to put up but never got around to, that proposed reinstating the marina as a new resort feature. I did a quick Photoshop mockup below:

My thinking was that eventually (possibly decades from now), the Paradise Pier Hotel could be demolished, and replaced with a more low-level, Victorian themed waterfront resort based on the Hotel del Coranado:

While part of the hotel would retain the current hotel's views of DCA, the new hotel would have to be much more sprawled across ground level to compensate for the rooms lost from the tower. To act as the hotel's new northern edge (and to give the guests in the new extension something to look at), the bottom floor of the hotel would instead be filled with shops and restaurants across a waterfront boardwalk, much like the Boardwalk hotel at WDW.

The Paradise Pier Hotel waterfront would wrap around a new marina, which would be shared with the Disneyland Hotel's southern tower. The new marina could have all the same paddle boats and rental stuff that the original had, and could be sort of "middle ground" between the PPH and the DLH. The idea was that instead of the current PPH hotel which has 3/4 of the rooms looking out over parking lots, the new Victorian hotel would have every room looking out over some kind of water feature. The eastern edge would have DCA's Paradise Bay and World of Color, the northern edge would have the new marina, and the southern edge would look out over a new water park which I never really defined.

This was all part of a "resort district" proposal I came up with that would sort of unite the three hotels around some shared amenities, and might give the DLR a more immersive, WDW-like feel overall. My thinking was that with the new marina, the water park, and even a new mini-golf course (I once started a thread about that idea here), DLR guests would feel like spending much more of their time on property.

Just a pipe dream, I guess.
    This looks awesome. Nice work and some great touches.

---------- Post added 10-26-2011 at 11:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yep -- El Vaquero (a great steak house with Mexican specialties), the California Kitchen buffet and the Monorail Cafe were in the building adjoining the Sierra Pool, back in the days before Goofy's Kitchen and the toonification of the Disneyland Hotel.
    Does anybody remember an establishment called the Country Kitchen? I have some great shots of this. This is from my book:

The Country Kitchen (a family oriented restaurant) was added with its old-world decor and a buffet of Mediterranean cooking (renamed the Chef's Kitchen in the latter part of 1973). On Sundays, a Champagne Brunch was available with a bubbling punch fountain for children. The specialty was Eggs Benedict. Served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., costs for adults (including one glass of champagne) was $2.95, and children under 12, $1.50. The Country Kitchen overlooked the Hotel's original pool, now named the Sierra Swimming Pool.

Does anybody want to see these shots????

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    Does anybody remember an establishment called the Country Kitchen? I have some great shots of this. This is from my book:

The Country Kitchen (a family oriented restaurant) was added with its old-world decor and a buffet of Mediterranean cooking (renamed the Chef's Kitchen in the latter part of 1973). On Sundays, a Champagne Brunch was available with a bubbling punch fountain for children. The specialty was Eggs Benedict. Served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., costs for adults (including one glass of champagne) was $2.95, and children under 12, $1.50. The Country Kitchen overlooked the Hotel's original pool, now named the Sierra Swimming Pool.

Does anybody want to see these shots????
    I would love to see them! (And my bad, it was Country Kitchen next to El Vaquero, not "California" Kitchen as I mis-remembered.) I think County Kitchen was remodeled and renamed "Chef's Kitchen" before it got Goofyized.

The other restaurant I'd like to see pics of is Villa Verde -- a wonderful restaurant on the marina which also later got toonified.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-26-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Here you go. I have close to 20 of this establishment again from Al Nicholson's collection. Looked like a very cozy place!

• secure all cargo

Great pictures! I like DTD for what it is, but I used to love that Disney shop that was just right after you exit the monorail - before Disney Stores became common, we'd go there for our Disney fix if we weren't going into the park. Then right next to it and the pool there was that two or three story building with more shops and and a small fast food place right around where Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone are now - if memory serves, that photo of the kid looking up at the Pooh plush is one of those stores in that building. I miss the old Fantasy Waters show. And for some reason I really miss the Monorail Cafe. Food wasn't even that great but I just really liked hanging out there. oldhotelguy, any pictures of that?

I do have some pics of the Monorail Cafe. Let me dig them up. May take a few minutes.

---------- Post added 10-27-2011 at 08:43 AM ----------

I do have more but not with me at the moment.

---------- Post added 10-27-2011 at 09:05 AM ----------

These are pretty low resolution.

Looks about right.. I have some pictures from inside that restaurant but it was under the Goofys Kitchen days, unless Minnie and them still visited under the old name..

Do you have any more photos, Don, from the shops and restaurants in that building parallel to the old Sierra pool?

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
    Looks about right.. I have some pictures from inside that restaurant but it was under the Goofys Kitchen days, unless Minnie and them still visited under the old name..

Do you have any more photos, Don, from the shops and restaurants in that building parallel to the old Sierra pool?
    Hundreds of them.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Also, do you by chance have any photos of the dancing waters area from the 80's? Before it was transformed into Fantasy Waters, I'm curious to see what the area looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWatersDude View Post
    Also, do you by chance have any photos of the dancing waters area from the 80's? Before it was transformed into Fantasy Waters, I'm curious to see what the area looked like.
    This is from July 1979.

---------- Post added 10-27-2011 at 02:06 PM ----------

---------- Post added 10-27-2011 at 02:41 PM ----------

---------- Post added 10-27-2011 at 02:41 PM ----------

---------- Post added 10-27-2011 at 02:42 PM ----------

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

AWESOME!!!

1979 (July in fact) was my first time staying at the Disneyland Hotel (first ever Disneyland trip too)

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Mrs. J. Depp

Oh wow the Monorail Cafe pictures bring back such memories! I have a picture of me and my sister with my dad on those benches out front that looked like the tail end of a classic car. I only visited the hotel in 1996 and again in 1998 so all I remember is the things I experienced then and of course the brochures I had (and probably still have) that highlighted all the amenities and restaurants and such. I remember watching the water show from our room and walking around by the waterfalls looking at the koi fish. Man I wish I could go back in time and revisit because the DLH had so much awesome stuff to offer.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    AWESOME!!!

1979 (July in fact) was my first time staying at the Disneyland Hotel (first ever Disneyland trip too)

You may even be in those shots, you never know.

• Shubisha

Got any pictures of the remote control car area from either late 80's or 90's?

• secure all cargo

Thanks for the Monorail Cafe pictures. What a cool thread!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast