Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Fantasy Faire question?

If there will be a new Fantasy Faire meet-and-greet area (in place of Carnation Plaza Gardens), what will become of the existing Fantasy Faire area (former home of Videopolis).
    Last edited by MickeyMao; 10-25-2011 at 10:18 AM.

• Dont make me unfriend you

Re: Fantasy Faire question?

VIDEOPOLIS II !!

(I hope I hope I hope)

• -

That's the$100,000 question. They haven’t as of yet stated anything is going into this theater. However, there are people that are accepting this invasion of Main Street by princesses in the vain hope that a new show will go into the theater. I wonder how people who support this move will feel if the theater goes the way of the Motor Boat Cruise area and sits empty for two decades while a nice quiet area of Main Street loses its charm and becomes just another marketing spot for little girls.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That's the$100,000 question. They haven’t as of yet stated anything is going into this theater. However, there are people that are accepting this invasion of Main Street by princesses in the vain hope that a new show will go into the theater. I wonder how people who support this move will feel if the theater goes the way of the Motor Boat Cruise area and sits empty for two decades while a nice quiet area of Main Street loses its charm and becomes just another marketing spot for little girls.
    Well another show may go on at the theatre. And I heard that the new Fantasy Faire will continue the Plaza Gardens' spirit by hosting music events and celebrities.

I'm hoping Disney brings back an exciting, new musical stage show!

*are you listening to this entertainment team???

• -

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMao View Post
    Well another show may go on at the theatre.
    Again, may is the operative word here. The theater may sit empty for the next two decades, it may get bulldozed for more attractions, it may get a new show, or Videopolis may come back. The truth is all that they said is that some of Main Street is getting invaded by princesses. At least if they said for certain that live shows were coming back that may be a small trade off (slight though it is), but they haven’t.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMao View Post
    And I heard that the new Fantasy Faire will continue the Plaza Gardens' spirit by hosting music events and celebrities.
    It may host dancing and music, but instead of the nice charming location that it had, you will now be swing dancing in Mordor. Not exactly the same type of setting.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

To me it doesn't matter what they put in the theater. Either way the Fantasy Faire doesn't belong on Main Street. It just doesn't..."go." I sooo don't like this. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The truth is all that they said is that some of Main Street is getting invaded by princesses. At least if they said for certain that live shows were coming back that may be a small trade off (slight though it is), but they havenít.

It may host dancing and music, but instead of the nice charming location that it had, you will now be swing dancing in Mordor. Not exactly the same type of setting.
    I'm getting the vibe you think all the little girls with princess costumes should be snuck in the back door to avoid ruining the fake-y Main Street mood (whatever it is).

I also think people are over-valuing Carnation Gardens. It was always a cheap piece of architecture, and looks worse nowadays because it has become so run down. The white and red tent is stained, ruining the quality of light coming in. The stage is some sort of painted cardboard, not really the sculpted facade with fabric drapes it sought to emulate. The wrought iron lamposts aren't even decorative enough, they look like cheap knockoffs. Carnation Gardens was limited to the technology and budgets of Walt's time, and it is highly likely none of the esteemed artists that once played there would play there now.

Plus most of it is hidden behind the shrubbery to effectively shield it from the hub, so you don't have to enter the realm of Sauron if you don't like. With some clever night-time lighting, Imagineering can provide a more pleasant, charming swing-dance environment than the squint-and-you-might-feel-like-you're-in-old-time-America of Carnation Gardens.

What they do with the old place...I hope they extend Fantasyland, with more rides and shows. Fantasyland is the signature land in the park, and I would welcome more of its fake-y Bavarian villlage architecture over a 55 year-old bad interpretation of a turn-of-the-century American bandstand pavilion.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    I'm getting the vibe you think all the little girls with princess costumes should be snuck in the back door to avoid ruining the fake-y Main Street mood (whatever it is).
    Not at all. I know that princesses are important to little girls. I just think that 1, Disney is putting this thing somewhere that is very out of place, and 2 they are forgetting the other half of the population. There are boys that come to the parks, too. What happened to the acquisition of Marvel that Disney made? I think that would be as equal a draw for boys as princesses are for girls. The only thing is I would want it placed somewhere that is theme appropriate. I wouldn’t want a meet and greet on Main Street like this princess monstrosity that they are building. Snow White fits turn-of-the-century just about as well as the Punisher. If he is out of place there, then certainly Snow White is, too. Everything has some place where it can be put in that is appropriate to its theme (maybe not the Punisher, but other Marvel characters). The point is if things are put in place correctly, like the princesses behind the castle then I am fine with it.
    I also think people are over-valuing Carnation Gardens. It was always a cheap piece of architecture, and looks worse nowadays because it has become so run down. The white and red tent is stained, ruining the quality of light coming in. The stage is some sort of painted cardboard, not really the sculpted facade with fabric drapes it sought to emulate. The wrought iron lamposts aren't even decorative enough, they look like cheap knockoffs. Carnation Gardens was limited to the technology and budgets of Walt's time, and it is highly likely none of the esteemed artists that once played there would play there now.
    If it is getting so run down, then why not fix it up to its former glory? Why replace it with something else that is thematically out of place? We all know the answer to that question. Disney wants the dollars from the little girls who want to dress up like princesses so they put this thing in a more “in your face” location.

Plus most of it is hidden behind the shrubbery to effectively shield it from the hub, so you don't have to enter the realm of Sauron if you don't like. With some clever night-time lighting, Imagineering can provide a more pleasant, charming swing-dance environment than the squint-and-you-might-feel-like-you're-in-old-time-America of Carnation Gardens.
    From the concept sketches that were released online, this thing is going to be massive. Just how much do you think a few shrubs is going to hide it?

• Senior Minion

I'm getting the vibe you think all the little girls with princess costumes should be snuck in the back door to avoid ruining the fake-y Main Street mood...
    Nope. See Calsig's post above.

I also think people are over-valuing Carnation Gardens. It was always a cheap piece of architecture, and looks worse nowadays because it has become so run down.
    Which run-down condition is the result of (wait for it...) a quarter century of Disney not spending a dime to upgrade it. In fact, by closing the food service, they downgraded it.

Carnation Gardens was limited to the technology and budgets of Walt's time, and it is highly likely none of the esteemed artists that once played there would play there now.
    Where the esteemed artists would play today is a moot point -- today's Disney wouldn't spend a dime to hire them in the first place.

Fantasyland is the signature land in the park, and I would welcome more of its fake-y Bavarian villlage architecture over a 55 year-old bad interpretation of a turn-of-the-century American bandstand pavilion.
    Who says it has to be an either-or choice? Oh, yeah -- Disney, which won't cough up a nickel unless it's to plug one of their franchise brands.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-25-2011 at 02:03 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

This idea, without a doubt, is one of the worst violations of theme I've seen. I don't even care all that much for theme continuity myself. But a princess something-or-other on Main Street? Really?

A terrible idea. I actually find it nearly disrespectful to the consumer.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• film975

I would rather see the Princess Fantasy Faire space be used for a future attraction instead of a show. Or how about they put the Be Our Guest restaurant in there. Like the one they're building in Disney World's Expanded Fantasyland. You could probably put Belle's village in there too.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, as I've said before, they have to have SOME place for the princess loving crowd and right next to Sleeping Beauty's Castle is very appropriate--especially since it balances out what's on the OTHER side of the castle--Snow White's Grotto. I don't hear anybody complaining about THAT--saying it's equally inappropriate to be there.

ORDDU: Main Street is represented quite enough anyway. By the time you arrive near the castle, you should be expecting some fantasy themed areas anyway. It's just that Carnation Gardens has been where it is for so long, it's become accepted by some as 'normal'. But it was never considered 'normal' by this coven of witches. It seemed out of place. Now--for the first time--a more appropriate theme will be in place.

ORWEN: Some ducklings could even argue that the princess loving crowd is getting shortchanged by this new and smaller location--smaller than what the Fantasy Faire offered for space, I mean. Either way, the princesses seemed to always get themselves bashed by those who just don't appreciate them. I'm sure if some had their way there would be no princesses allowed inside Disneyland at all. Even when they're located in Fantasyland there are some who continue to bash them and their many fans. Thank goodness there are more princess loving fans than there are princess bashers.

• Queen Elsa

I don't think it's going to be out of place it's near the castle and as of right now Disney has brong the Princess back out to the castle so I don't see there new PFF out of place at all. To me the garden is part of Fantasyland and not of Main Street. To me Main Street stops when you go pass Coke cola corner and the Photo store. I do have a question when will they start making the new PFF. I figure it be some time next year but when?

And why do we need another meet and greet?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast