New Rules for The Walt Disney Corporation

1. It is critical to define a larger overarching societal purpose of the organization beyond creating shareholder value, and it is even more critical to walk the talk. Society no longer tolerates hollow promises.
    2. It is important for the CEO to inspire and align employees to a set of defined values that encompass, for example, principles of trusteeship and ethical conduct, and to have a zero-tolerance policy on willful violations that lead to a loss of corporate reputation.
    3. Business leaders should encourage and reward innovation within their companies that spurs business models that not only deliver economic value but larger societal value as well. (ITC's e-Choupals became a reality as the leadership displayed faith and encouraged the innovation through larger investments and commitment despite the model being untested.)
    4. The company should try to do social good not just by philanthropy but by forming partnerships with the national and regional governments and local communities that "co-create" local community assets.
    5. Companies should involve the consumer in supporting sustainable business practices by creating unique value propositions that enrich the consumer experience. The fact that a portion of the proceeds from the sales of ITC's school notebooks and stationery were contributed to rural education helped make them a market leader.

Taken from the Harvard Business Review

• Down Pluto!

Re: New Rules for The Walt Disney Corporation

Understood by everyone but Corporate leadership.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

In Theory yes but in Practicality..well lets just say we won't hold our breaths.

• Senior Minion

Of course, the Company will insist that it already follows those rules.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Seeker of Fun

Ever wonder what they really think?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

•   
    • Fresno Follies

Blog Entries

(Disclosure-I own 57 shares. I am looking to own enough shares where the dividend will cover the entrance fee)

Harvard shmarvard... Shareholder value rules.

That said...Shareholder value will decrease if those principles mentioned are not followed.

I read recently Al Lutz's comment of the dismissal treatment of the Disney employees that were celebrating their anniversary years of employment. Apparently, they had to wait in long lines for transportation into the park and had to wait in buffet lines for their "thank-you" meal. Al did not think that was much of a "thank you" compared to times of the past.

There is a balancing that has to go on. Disney messed with it too much when they neglected the parks in the 80's and 90's. Al's report seems to show that empoyee treatment is too low too. Shareholder value will decrease when the CM quality goes down because they do not feel appreciated.

C'mon DIS! Treat your employees well! Looking for a higher paying Dividend!

• Not on the Jedi Council

I am considered fiscally liberal because I believe in unions for benefit packages, and because I agree with FDR that the best "social program" is something called a job, and it's incumbent on employers to pay employees a living wage. I mainly object to money paid out as bonuses to the top management that could have been used to retain rank and file people.

It's things like the electronic whip and no contract for years that was also discussed, those are the things that concern me. The company has plenty of money, no need for it to act as harshly as it does. I have heard other stories about Disney and how it treats employees, but those just aren't the right tone for this board. Let's just quote Robert Lynn Asprin: "I have heard of your reputation, and indeed, it is devastatingly accurate."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kjorgensen43 View Post
    I read recently Al Lutz's comment of the dismissal treatment of the Disney employees that were celebrating their anniversary years of employment. Apparently, they had to wait in long lines for transportation into the park and had to wait in buffet lines for their "thank-you" meal. Al did not think that was much of a "thank you" compared to times of the past.
    That comment was very wrong. I was invited to that event through a family friend and the only line we had was probably 10 minutes for the bus from the parking lot to DCA. There were no crowds, nice live entertainment, and good food. It was a nice time and everyone was enjoying it.