Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Matterhorn refurb fail?

I don't know if anyone has noticed this but to me it seems that since the short refurb the ride had a while back, its been breaking down at least 3 times a day every time I go . Has anyone else noticed this? I swear it happens every time. I get in line to get halfway through before it breaks down. I leave to ride other stuff and wait for my wait time app to say its working again. Then when it says its open again, i head back only to find it has broken down on my way over there!!!! Does anyone have any info on what the heck did they do to the poor matterhorn during that little refurb?

• I am number 4 of 999

Re: Matterhorn refurb fail?

I got stuck on it within the first week it reopened, and yes, it does seem likes it's down way more often now than it was before the refurb. I seriously can't wait for the new sleds!

• Disney is home

The Matterhorn hasn't had it's full refurb yet. Also, the Matterhorn doesn't always break down due to technical reasons. Guests have been known for causing the Matterhorn to go down due to not getting in or out of the sleds quick enough.

• Minion

yah when we were it seemed to break down a lot this past September and we would be a line then it would break we would leave then come back and break again it even happened at like 11 something at night but they still fixed it and we came back for the last few rides of the night.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Quote Originally Posted by Donald1980 View Post
    The Matterhorn hasn't had it's full refurb yet. Also, the Matterhorn doesn't always break down due to technical reasons. Guests have been known for causing the Matterhorn to go down due to not getting in or out of the sleds quick enough.
    I know alot of times guests are the reason for these kind of coasters to break down. My girlfriend actually almost caused one on space mountain when she got caught in the rocket by her lanyard . Still though, ever since the mini refurb it had its been happening a lot more than I've ever noticed before. Hopefully things change during the full refurb thats coming.

I've never heard of that before! How does loading cause a ride to go down? Is it timing? I'm just curious. Thanks!

It goes down because the station doesn't have enough room for all of the bobsleds in the mountain. If the station isn't cleared in time it backs up and the sleds in the mountain get stopped to avoid a collision. When people take too long tO load the station backs up and eventually the ride will stop itself. It's called a cascade I think. So if the cast members working the station rush you in and out of your seat, don't take it personally

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

As far as I understand it, it is half way between old and new as far as many technical elements go.. That is likely to be a reason for some extra closures. Once the new trains are on it and everything is a go this coming spring, then it will be 100%. For now though, it is just open on a seemingly interim basis to appease the winter crowd.

• Miracle:(n) Kings win Cup

Thousand Oaks, Staples Center, Disneyland

Matterhorn fail? Let's remember that this was the first tubular steel continuous track roller coaster ever constructed and opened in 1959!!

This coaster was the first of its kind (ever!), and was entombed in a mountain facade, meaning that if something broke or wasn't working, the imagineers could not simply remove sections of track as easily as if it was an open-air, non-themed coaster (ala Magic Mountain).

Let's also remember that this attraction still is a popular favorite to many park-goers, even more popular in many cases than the newer, more advanced attractions that have been installed since the Matterhorn's opening, and it continues to pump people down its slopes every day at a remarkable pace.

I agree this coaster is quite worn and requires such intense maintenance, but you gotta give this gal some lovin'. She's been working hard and chuggin' along for 52 years strong! As long as she's still running, there will not be any "fail" from this coaster.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Donald1980 View Post
    When I was just there 2 weeks ago it went down a few time and it was more then just guest loading speed as the maintance workers came in both times and it was down close to an hour. Also I thought that it has become a lot slower! I usually have to hold on for dear life to not get thrown around and a little beat up on the ride and this last time it was so slow i didnt need to hold on at all! Anyone else notice a change in speed?
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I don't know if anyone has noticed this but to me it seems that since the short refurb the ride had a while back, its been breaking down at least 3 times a day every time I go . Has anyone else noticed this? I swear it happens every time. I get in line to get halfway through before it breaks down. I leave to ride other stuff and wait for my wait time app to say its working again. Then when it says its open again, i head back only to find it has broken down on my way over there!!!! Does anyone have any info on what the heck did they do to the poor matterhorn during that little refurb?
    You might be a redneck (go to Disneyland too much) if ......

Quote Originally Posted by Puck2DaHead View Post
    Matterhorn fail? Let's remember that this was the first tubular steel continuous track roller coaster ever constructed and opened in 1959!!

This coaster was the first of its kind (ever!), and was entombed in a mountain facade, meaning that if something broke or wasn't working, the imagineers could not simply remove sections of track as easily as if it was an open-air, non-themed coaster (ala Magic Mountain).

I agree this coaster is quite worn and requires such intense maintenance, but you gotta give this gal some lovin'. She's been working hard and chuggin' along for 52 years strong! As long as she's still running, there will not be any "fail" from this coaster.
    Exactly!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Puck2DaHead View Post

Let's also remember that this attraction still is a popular favorite to many park-goers, even more popular in many cases than the newer, more advanced attractions that have been installed since the Matterhorn's opening, and it continues to pump people down its slopes every day at a remarkable pace.

I know it's old. That's one of the reasons why I love it . The fail I speak of is this recent little refurb that happened a while back. Ever since then it seems that the ride has been shutting down multiple times a day. I know reliability must be an issue with old rides like this but from what I've been seeing, this past refurb has made things worse!! Hopefully the next big refurb with the new sleds fixes everything.

Break downs are a sign of that the system is working properly (even though something could be broken) It's not all that bad to have an overly picky system running the ride. If it finds something that doesn't seem right, it will have a tantrum. That's how they're built.

Sort of like the HM, if something lands on the side of the track, it basically says "I theres something there and I don't like it". Same with California Screamin'. When that train failed to make the loop, the system noticed immediately that something was wrong.

Ride systems are amazing!

End of Rant.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Air Pirate

Well what about the rumored enhancments with the 2nd referb? What do you think they will do?
    -------------------------------------
    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
    ~Leonardo da Vinci

“If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse.”
    ~Walt Disney

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Also I thought that it has become a lot slower! I usually have to hold on for dear life to not get thrown around and a little beat up on the ride and this last time it was so slow i didnt need to hold on at all! Anyone else notice a change in speed?
    The speed is the same as always you may just be getting used to it. Also the more people or heavier people in your train affects the speed (Heavy people or doubles=faster ride). Remember the Tomorrowland side is a little faster than the Fantasyland side.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast