Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland fan since 1967

Disneyland Souvenir Map Quest

Hi all. Ever since I was six years old, I have been enchanted by the large souvenir maps that Disneyland has, from time to time, sold in DLP. You know the ones I mean, don't you? Sold as a folded map, but expands to probably 30" by 42" when laid flat. At various times in the history of DLP, the map has displayed its then-current attractions, which makes for a wonderful and nostalgic collector's item for someone who loves DL as much as I do. I have picked up a couple of these vintage maps on eBay, and purchased the 50th Anniversary map back in 2005. I have always found the detail to be quite good, and looking back on some of the older maps reminds me fondly of attractions that no longer exist.

Do others out there share my enthusiasm for these maps? Care to share your own experiences and/or describe your collection of DL maps? Also, does anyone know when DL plans to issue its next edition of the beloved DLP map, and whether there might even be a souvenir map of DCA in the works?
    Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

• Senior Minion

Re: Disneyland Souvenir Map Quest

I bought my first last month. It's very nice although out of date already (showing HISTA instead of *shudder* Captain Eo)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Down Pluto!

They are my favorite collectable, and favorite souvenir gift to give friends and family.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

i plan on getting this map sometime soon. weirdly enough though, i've only seen it sold in the pooh corner store as of late. i'm curious as to why? does anyone know when the last time it was last updated? the one i saw showed a snow white play of some sort (i'm not as well versed in disneyland history as i should be) where the princess fantasy faire is. never recalled that show, so i was curious as to when it might've been from.

• Minion

there was maps given out to cast members around opening day of dca the big ones might still have some. i was a cast member then

• Minion

I had at least 2 of the maps as a kid. I remember buying one for $1.50, I don't know how I remember the price, but that was it. And that was a significant amount of money to a kid in 1968. I can still remember putting it up on my bedroom wall with thumbtacks, and studying it. I had the 1968 version and possibly the 1972 one, I'm not sure of the years though. When I went away to college, my wicked stepmother threw away everything I left behind, including all my Disneyland stuff.

The 1972 and 1976 maps were remarkable for the detailed labeling of virtually every shop and feature, and included the show buildings for Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Grand Canyon and Primeval World, labeling the locations of some features in those buildings. A clear scan of it is at this location, though it's not hi-res enough to read the labeling: http://www.visionsfantastic.com/foru..._1972_copy.jpg If you search around maybe you can find a hi-res scan of the 1972 map and stud it in detail. The 1976 map is similar.

This site has some of the maps, with links to hi-res scans of them on flickr: Disneyland’s Vintage Maps and the Kodak Camera Tour in 1950s | Wedding Photography Design Philippines

This site discusses the various maps over the years, and gives interesting information about them, but it does not have hi-res scans as far as I can tell: Disneyland Maps, A Brief Visual History of the Happiest Place on Earth

Here is a link to a page with a hi-res scan of the 1964 map. This one is notable in that it shows "Edison Square" and "Liberty Street" which were never built. Vintage Disneyland Tickets: Disneyland Wall Map 1964 and a Bonus

In fact, if you do a search for "map" on Vintage Disneyland Tickets , you will probably come up with quite a few scans of the maps on that blog. Most of the maps, perhaps all of them, have appeared on that blog at one time or another.

• We Want The Redhead

I've posted before that my wife had my original 1968 first visit map framed for my birthday a few years back. It takes up a LOT of real estate on my living room wall. It's become a centerpiece for a series of family Disneyland pics dating back to our first visit together as boyfriend and girlfriend in 1989. There's at least one pic for every year we've visited.
    Like Bob's description above, it too features every restaurant, gift shop, attraction, beyond the berm show buildings as well as a 'Space Station And Rocket Flight' future attraction building which is mighty close to the 1977 Space Mountain that we eventually got.
    It's pretty beat up, but it's genuine, and it's mine.
    I got my daughter one back during the 50th anniversary which I'll frame some day and present to her as an adult.
    Whenever I see new ones being sold, I snag a few as gifts for friends. They're might nice souvenirs, and always nicely priced.
    Last edited by ttrocc7007; 11-17-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: sp
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I have quite a few of the large maps, too. The one currently on the wall in our office is the "40 Years of Adventure" map. I agree that the detailing is quite wonderful!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Senior Minion

In case anyone has trouble finding one - I got mine in the gift shop at DLH.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Adventures with Duffy

I have a few. I have 2001 DCA, 2005 DL and two from DLP, Im not sure of the years but they are different. DLP were the hardest to find, got them off ebay. I do like all of them. Its fun to look at them and plan your next trip.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

I don't have any of the old Disneyland maps but wondering what one would expect they would be worth? I am considering purchasing an old Disneyland map and don't want to be ripped off. So whats the price range to expect to pay?

I bought a DLP map about 4 years ago, ironically at DCA, but it acutally laid all folded up in my bedroom for the last 3 1/2 years. I had even went out and bought the frame I wanted to use, but I wanted to refinish the frame so it took us that long to get around to getting it done, and in the end it probably only took a few hours. But happily my DH and I finished it, and it is now proudly hung in our living room. Wish I had been doing this all along, I like the idea of getting some to give as gifts. I have 2 teenage boys, who I would love to give as gifts when they are older. Thanx for the idea.

I always look for souvenir maps whenever I visit the parks, but it's been incredibly difficult. I was at DL this past Saturday and finally was able to find it on sale at Adventureland Bazaar for $4.95. I didn't open it up, but it has a blue border similar to the one from 2005 (50th anniversary). Definitely plan to snatch a few when I return in December.

I got a map at my first visit in 1967. I loved it to death; literally worn out.

With eBay, I have been able to collect a few versions of the map from over the ages and I have one of the limited release 2005 50th maps framed and up at work.

The Disney Gallery released a limited edition triptych in 2000 with the 1954 (yes pre-opening park map), 1958 and 2000 maps that was signed by Peter Ellenshaw, John Hench, Sam McKimm, Blaine Gibson, Nina Rae Vaughn and Tony Baxter. Also up in my office
    The Mur

• Down Pluto!

When they are in stock - they are at the two stands at either entrance of the Main Street berm tunnels. Also they are at the Emporium - if they are out they will (usually) call around to locate one. I have always had great CM assistance, all I had to do was ask.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast