• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Get off your lazy butt and watch the parade!

As this seems to be the season for griping, I thought I would add my two cents. In the grand tradition of squirt guns, leashes, kids on shoulders and huge strollers, here's my beef for the month:

So we're all hudled together waiting for the Christmas Fantasy Parade to start, and we're talking about 10 minutes before parade time. I'm seated on main street next to my son and we're about two rows back. Next to me are toddlers waiting anxiously, strollers, tired parents...we're all finally situated and ready for the parade to begin. All is well. (Except the hot chocolate machine "broke" after 30 minutes in line, but that's another story.) Still happy.

And then comes the nice CM with the announcement: If you are on the brick section of the parade route you need to STAND to watch the parade, and kindly MOVE FORWARD to SMASH yourselves to the front in order to REALLY get the sardine effect before the parade arrives! Surely, I think, this man can't be serious.

But he was serious, and low and behold...all of these parents with these small kids had to STAND UP, surge forward disrupting the kids, the strollers, the hot chocolate, popcorn, and probably a red vine or two in the process. And they had to REMAIN STANDING for 50 MINUTES while the parade wound it's way up from IASW!

Keep in mind that we're well within the roped off section next to the curb.

Now... Is it just me or does that sound like a real pain in the butt just to SQUEEZE IN whatever humanity hasn't made it to the parade route by that point!?

STAND UP???? I'VE BEEN RACING A 9 YEAR OLD ALL AROUND DISNEYLAND SINCE 9 AM AND YOU WANT ME TO ....TO......STAND UP!!!!!!!???????

As nice as that CM was, I wanted to tell him what the nice people in charge of parades can do with their stand-up-to-watch-the-parade-so-late-people-can-smash-in-behind-you policy!

*pauses to take breath and to let pulse come back down*

*forces smile*

So....anyone else feel like this, or am I being a giant weenie?

(If anyone else has alread ranted on this subject, then please feel free to merge this.)

Re: Get off your lazy butt and watch the parade!

I don't think I would have been pleasant in that situation.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Banned User

I couldn't have stood, so he would just have had to deal with that.

Seriously I watch it from IASW and they don't make us stand.

• Lost in Wonderland

As long as you can still see with people standing around you, I'd say just remain seated. I don't think any guest control cast members will call security on you for "not standing". Or stand up when the cast member comes by, and then sit down once they've left. Or ask the cast member if you can wait a 'few more minutes' before standing up.

• Defeats the Huns

The CM should not have asked you to stand that far in advance. He should know that the parade takes a certain amount of time before it reaches Main Street. However, if Main Street WAS starting to pile up and the CMs noticed that lots of guests are starting to try to find spots to watch the parade, then they would be asking the guests to start standing in the designated viewing areas. This is so that they can keep the walkways clears. They need to keep traffic moving on both sides of the street - if people want to watch, they must go underneath the ropes.

There is always a reason for CMs' requests. Please do not be defiant by refusing to stand. If you ask the CM if you could sit for a while long because you are tired, they will most likely allow that. But once the CM comes back for a final call, please understand the CM isn't just there to make your life hell, and listen to the CM's instructions.

Like I said, the CM may have prematurely asked the guests to stand up. Perhaps he should've just given a warning. Usually, the CM will ask the guests to stand about 10 minutes prior to the prior actually arriving to their area. If I was working on Main Street, I would not ask them to stand until 6:50 (for a 6:30pm parade) or whenever I can hear the music coming from the Hub (whichever is first).

Please be nice to the CMs. We're just doing our jobs! and thanks to all those who understand that we're just following the policies. And although the policies may seem like they're really useless and frustrating.. there is always a reason for them. Just try and go with the flow.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yes, when we watched the Christmas parade at the hub, a CM came by several times and said that the back was standing only. We were sitting second row and were able to sit, but the people behind us stood (there was a row or two of sitting behind us).

He should have given you some warning.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang
    The CM should not have asked you to stand that far in advance. He should know that the parade takes a certain amount of time before it reaches Main Street. However, if Main Street WAS starting to pile up and the CMs noticed that lots of guests are starting to try to find spots to watch the parade, then they would be asking the guests to start standing in the designated viewing areas. This is so that they can keep the walkways clears. They need to keep traffic moving on both sides of the street - if people want to watch, they must go underneath the ropes.

There is always a reason for CMs' requests. Please do not be defiant by refusing to stand. If you ask the CM if you could sit for a while long because you are tired, they will most likely allow that. But once the CM comes back for a final call, please understand the CM isn't just there to make your life hell, and listen to the CM's instructions.

Like I said, the CM may have prematurely asked the guests to stand up. Perhaps he should've just given a warning. Usually, the CM will ask the guests to stand about 10 minutes prior to the prior actually arriving to their area. If I was working on Main Street, I would not ask them to stand until 6:50 (for a 6:30pm parade) or whenever I can hear the music coming from the Hub (whichever is first).

Please be nice to the CMs. We're just doing our jobs! and thanks to all those who understand that we're just following the policies. And although the policies may seem like they're really useless and frustrating.. there is always a reason for them. Just try and go with the flow.
    General S - Thanks for your info on the parades. I always try to be nice to the CM's as there would BE no Disneyland without them. My issue is not with the CM who asked us to stand. My issue is with the Management decision to smash more people in just before the parade begins. I understand that their desire is to keep the walkways clear, but I would argue that smashing more people into that small space actually SLOWS DOWN the traffic on the sidewalks MORE due to the fact that people are now sensing that there may some room...and they STOP to try to SMASH IN under the rope. The comment that I overheard from either a former or current CM in the viewing area was that they were simply trying to fit more people in, and if you STAND, more square footage becomes available.

Here's my issue. I was seated next to my son in the second row, and we were about to enjoy the parade together. As I am 6'3", when I stood up, I now blocked out two more rows of people behind me. So I moved to the back, leaving my son up front where he could see. So....he is now watching the parade by himself.

Secondly, there was a mom next to me with three small kids who had just settled down on their blanket, ready to view the parade. Now MOM has to get up, and make her three small KIDS get up after everyone was already settled. The smallest begins to cry, and now MOM has to hold the smallest for the duration of the parade....and the tired kids are FORCED TO STAND for the 50 minutes I mentioned earlier.

I'm sorry, but this is WRONG!

If people start trying to cram into the parade area 5 or 10 minutes after the posted start time...here's my solution:

TELL THEM THAT THERE ISN'T ANY ROOM!!

I'm sure that sounds cold and heartless, but you know what? I would have liked to have seen it with my son! And I'm sure that mom would have liked to have been able to leave her kids where they were stettled on the ground.

If people don't have the good sense to get to a parade well before it begins, then they don't see the parade!

How is this different from people who show up late to the Alladin show at the DCA or Snow White? When the show starts and the SEATS ARE FULL, then they MISS the show! Right?

In any case, could you do me a huge favor and pass this on to management? Have they already had an earful on this, because I could certainly make a trip in to City Hall next time I'm there. Forcing families to break up and stand when they are already settled in is just flat out wrong, and I would certainly like to pass that along to whoever thought of this policy!

Again, I'm not directing my venom at you or your fellow CMs. There were a recordbreaking number of incredibly nice CM's working yesterday, and it made my day all the better.

• Defeats the Huns

Yeah, unfortunately, the reason for having the second row and behind standing room only is so that more people can fit underneath the ropes. They need the room because they anticipate people will be coming down Main Street, see the parade, and want to stop and watch. So they cram them underneath the ropes to keep the walkways clear.

I believe City Hall should hear your side of the story. Perhaps they will make changes. CMs telling their managers won't really do much. Make sure to write down your comparison with the Aladdin show or other venues like that. It makes perfect sense that people should find their seats in advance.

But also keep in mind, there are other places along the parade route that don't require you to stand (i.e. the Hub, Small World, Matterhorn Way). I think they make people on Main Street stand because it is an essential walkway and, again, it's for those people who can't seem to make up their minds and decide last minute to stand in the middle of the walkway and watch the parade.

• no flash photography...

they do the sardine effect everywhere. IO hate when they do that at sea world. everyone squeeze tot he center of the arena and be slammed arem to arm against your neighbor. I bought the paltinum pass just to avid this...LOL...they didn't make our section squeeze in..woo hoo...what did irratate me is when they let people sit in the section who didn't have the tickets. Thats is way annoying, but oh well...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralShang
    But also keep in mind, there are other places along the parade route that don't require you to stand (i.e. the Hub, Small World, Matterhorn Way). I think they make people on Main Street stand because it is an essential walkway and, again, it's for those people who can't seem to make up their minds and decide last minute to stand in the middle of the walkway and watch the parade.
    Like I said in my post above, where we were on the Hub, was standing.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...