Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Future Imagineer

Armchair Imagineering: Splash Mountain Holiday Carols

Since it's X-mas season, I might as well post my idea for another holiday overlay at DL.

Splash Mountain Holiday Carols:

The Exterior:
    While brainstorming the idea of the overlay, I thought it would nice to decorate the tree at the top of the hill like a Christmas tree (with lights circling it, a silverware version of a star on top, and a couple of ornaments hanging in the cracks of the tree). In the briar patch, the water would be covered with fake ice, the water cannons would be turned off, and most of the plants would be cover with a little amount of snow and and icicles hanging down from some of the plants. The waterfall on the side, going down to the lower part of the ride, would be "frozen". On most of the surfaces of the mountain would be fake snow covering the grass or rockwork.

The Queue:
    At the beginning of the queue (by the CC sign), X-mas lights would hang from the trees and make a light tunnel (would look better "at night"). The fence along the side of the queue facing the ride will be replaced with a candy cane version. In the place of the squirrel statue would be a Christmas tree with nut themed decorations, and in the place of the statue of the vulture would be a large candy cane. The train bridge would receive a candy cane looking skin along the whole bridge (except for the platform that the train track is on), and also a pump will be added along the queue to give off a peppermint scent to guest. Where the guest in line can see riders after loading will be an arch made of presents. Inside of the first building in the queue, a scent of hot chocolate would be added, and some X-mas decorations too. Once back outside, a new (large) Christmas tree would be added to the middle of where the guest walk around. Along the top of the stone wall/handrail would be some snow that would feel a little cool. Reefs would hang from the eves of the buildings. Once back inside, there's just some minor decorations that are added up until the loading area. The hole guest can see Br'er Rabbit would be outlined with a reef. Above the queue would be reefs that would stretch across the loading area with a circle reef in the middle (and either Br'er Rabbit, Fox, or Bear would be in the middle of the circle reefs). An arch made of 2 giant candy canes hat cross would be added at the front end of the loading track. Reefs and lights would be added to the CM booths.

The Ride:
    For the holidays, the storyline will be adjusted to happen during the X-Mas season, and the water speed will be slowed down to allow more time to take in whats happening. Between the loading area and the first chain lift, no much would be changed except for some decorations added. The second chain lift would be decorated with strands of holiday lights hanging from the eves, a new fire place prop (TV screen, but the room would feel warm, depending on the temperature outside) by the owl (now wearing antlers), and some stockings hanging along the walls (with names of the Imagineers who worked on the original ride). Once you get to the top, you would notice that it would be snowing, and that the area is covered with snow. Br'er Rabbit's house would be decorated with some lights and props, and a snowman version of him would be added by the house. Similar to HMH, Splash will receive new songs that will combine the classic songs of the film with X-mas songs, like "How Do You Do" would receive new lyrics and a "Jingle Bells" rythm. On the outside of the track would be icicles (to appear as if the track was leaking). The barrels and supplies on the side would be replaced with presents and a snowman of Br'er Bear, and his house would get some decorations. At the first drop, guest will notice large icicles hanging down from from the "tree" holding up the track on the other side. Once at the bottom of the drop, guest will hear the AAs singing the redone version of "Jingle Bells" and see a new gingerbread arch in front of the tunnel entrance with a lollipop sign pointing into the mountain and saying "To Candy Caverns" (formerly known as the Laughing Place scene).

Once inside you'll see the geese AA dressed up as Santa/nutcrackers and the frogs dressed up as elves. The background will be projected with a video of light snow falling. Where the pumpkin snowman stood would be a snowman. Some areas of the ground where the AAs are would be covered with snow. Rather than the geese eating watermelons on the right side, they will be building a large gingerbread house with construction props filled with gingerbread pieces or frosting (guest can smell the gingerbread). On the left, the water would be frozen and the goose fishing will be fishing in an ice hole. The geese in the background would be putting presents under a X-mas tree prop. The geese on either sid after that will be dressed as nutcrackers. In the next part, Br'er Bear would be partial covered with gift wrapping paper (Br'er Fox was dressed as santa, with a fake beard, and set up a trap that was disguised as a present and once opened, it out capture the victim in wrapping paper and would leave them hanging from a stick) and Br'er Fox would be yelling at him about how he ruined the trap and that they have to set up a new one. The pack mule watching them would be dressed as a reindeer and would be pulling a sled. After you see the mule, there would be lights going along space, between Br'er Rabbit's house and the mule, that would look like runway lights (a sign would be at the front end saying "Santa, land here"). Br'er Rabbit's house would be decorated with some lights and snow covering the roof. His outfit would change to him wearing his X-mas pajamas and the turtle would just be wearing a scarf and Santa hat. After you see his house, you'd notice that there are glowing icicles covering the leaves dangling from the ceiling. In the place of Br'er Rabbit on a push cart would be him riding a model train through some snowy caverns. Just before the second drop, the area where the alligator AA is, would be decorated as a toy factory with him putting presents on a conveyor belt that goes into a hole. The laughing Br'er Rabbit would be hiding in a present pile. A tree would be located to his left that is made of thorny plants and some decorations. The signs in various directions would be replaced with lollipop versions pointing to the Candy Caverns. Br'er Bear's butt would be outlined with a reef and mistletoe with a sign below it reading: Kiss me, I'm all fur. The drop would appear to be entering a mouth made of icicles.

Then you enter the Candy Caverns, which will have lots of illuminating candy props (the beehives will be taken out and replaced with lollipops). "Everybody's got a Laughing Place" would receive a "Sleigh Ride" jingle to it and a new lyrics. Where guest are supposed to hear the bees buzzing to the song, would be a violin solo of the "Laughing Place" song. The Br'er Bear AA being stung by the bees would be changed by adding a ripped present box next to him and a bow on the bee hive on his nose. Pre-Thanksgiving, the dog on the boat in the middle of the room would be dressed as a pioneer with a turkey in his boat and a sign that says "I like Thanksgiving better," but after Thanksgiving he would be dressed as an elf with lots of candy in his boat and no sign. The fox that normally is on top of water squirting him, would be sitting on a pile of lollipops. The bird that sits under a mushroom with water coming down the sides would be adjusted to her sitting under a tree with presents surrounding her. The weasels popping out of the ground would be given costumes of Santa, elves, and reindeers. The 2 storks would be dressed up as carolers. The goose on the big branch would be holding a stick of cotton candy, with a string of it leading to the wall and the rooster playing it. The turkey playing a guitar would be dressed as Santa in suspenders with his candy cane stripped guitar.

Then you'll see that Br'er Fox trapped Br'er Rabbit with caramel (instead of honey) in a candy apple section of the cave. Replacing the redone version "Laughing Place" song in the next scene would be "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas". The mother would be singing the song while the possum kids are playing with toys under the tree and the rabbit children would be holding little candles by a new, projected window thats showing the storm outside. The vultures would be replaced with smi-clear version (to appear as ghost from A Christmas Carol) and be given new audio to fit the theme of the ride. Not much is changed in the chain lift sequence execpt for some of Br'er Fox's stockings, a turkey scent that is pumped into the area, and new audio and projections for Br'er Fox. Then you go down the drop and into an icicle cavern till you reach RoA (depending on the way it's set up, it could potentially cause guest to get less wet) and through a snow covered landscape.

After awhile, you'd enter the finally of the ride where, "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" would be combined with "We Wish You a Merry X-mas" for the finally song. The porcupine and the raccoon would be wearing santa hats and scarfs with presents for each other beside them. Foxes and cats on the wagon would be carring a tree with some of them riding in it. The alligators would be preforming in front of a large pile of presents (with names of current DL CMs on the name tags). The steamboat would recives reefs outlining the ceilings and lights on the roof. The characters on the boat would receive X-mas themed appearal. The Blue Bird would begiven stripped clothes and a lolliepop prop. Part of the water in the area would be "frozen" over except for the steamboat. Br'er Fox would be wearing his santa disguise while trying to get away from the crocodile biting his tail. Br'er Rabbit would be relaxing at his home next to his fireplace and lying down by his christmas tree. A large, new prop that would be added would be at where guest can view their pictures while on the ride, where a giant post card would be added (with a hole you go through, and holes for the owl and tv screen) and on the back would say "Having a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Holiday", and then guest would proceed to the load/unload area.

Exclusive for the holidays, the pictures of riders can be printed on and bought as a postcard with the same writing on the back (as on the ride) and with a new border design.
    Last edited by Right Ear; 11-27-2011 at 07:41 PM.

• Insomniac

Re: Armchair Imagineering: Splash Mountain Holiday Carols

No thanks. Christmas has already pushed too far west. We don't need to have every ride be a Christmas ride.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    No thanks. Christmas has already pushed too far west. We don't need to have every ride be a Christmas ride.
    Agreed. It's Disneyland not Christmas land. 2 ride overlays for each season is plenty (if not to many). Plus, the idea of Christmas lights on the tree stump above the briar patch seems atrociously tacky.

• Future Imagineer

What's wrong with one other holiday overlay? My thoughts: If you are add more ride of the same "genre" (thrill, kiddie, overlay, etc) it will either increase attendance or pull attention away from the other attractions of the same "genre". Also, Splash is not really visited during the holidays (due to weather) and is possibly one of the only rides (at DL) that could get annual overlays: Frontierland- Please no, Tomorrowland- Not really possible, Adventureland- Nope, Fantasyland- Maybe Storybookland (just maybe), New Orleans Square- No need for more, Toontown- Eh..... , so that leaves Critter Country and Splash's storyline would be easier to adjust than other attractions.
    Last edited by Right Ear; 11-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.

• Future Cast Member

I like the general idea meshing with Splash Mountain. Some extra decorating and maybe some of the songs changing (not all) is a good idea. I just don't want religious songs and such. Disneyland is great because it celebrates the evolved commercial holiday that even non-religious people celebrate with unique traditions having nothing to do with religion (Christmas trees, snow, gingerbread cookies, etc.), it'd be a shame for religion to invade the safe haven of Disneyland. I think at least some decorations would be nice, though, at least some Santa hats on background characters, and some more exterior decorating if done in theme (like the current Christmas tree with the tag reading "To Brer Fox, Brer Bear, From Brer Rabbit"

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by ChessurInWonderland View Post
    I like the general idea meshing with Splash Mountain. Some extra decorating and maybe some of the songs changing (not all) is a good idea. I just don't want religious songs and such. Disneyland is great because it celebrates the evolved commercial holiday that even non-religious people celebrate with unique traditions having nothing to do with religion (Christmas trees, snow, gingerbread cookies, etc.), it'd be a shame for religion to invade the safe haven of Disneyland. I think at least some decorations would be nice, though, at least some Santa hats on background characters, and some more exterior decorating if done in theme (like the current Christmas tree with the tag reading "To Brer Fox, Brer Bear, From Brer Rabbit"
    Yah, I wouldn't if it had more minor stuff, this was just if they decided to do a full-blown overlay. Also, most of these songs are already played in the parks for the holidays. Just changed "Holy Night" to "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas".

• Minion

I think Splash would be great for a overlay. Its not like theres loads of them allready. Theres 2. I know its Disneyland not 'Christmasland', but then that would be like saying I dont want any decorations up because the parks not about Christmas. Thats all overlays are really, decorated rides.

Anyway I like your overlay idea

• Future Imagineer

/\ Thanks. Appreciate complements, but take criticisms seriously (I mean REALLY seriously).

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    Yah, I wouldn't if it had more minor stuff, this was just if they decided to do a full-blown overlay. Also, most of these songs are already played in the parks for the holidays. Just changed "Holy Night" to "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas".
    Yeah, I realize they do play, what I meant was I like some of the original songs in the park the best. Like how Haunted Mansion Holiday has songs from Nightmare Before Christmas, original holiday songs instead of traditional common ones. It would be cool if Disney made one or two unique Splash Mountain holiday songs to play in the attraction among classic holiday songs.

• Future Imagineer

/\ Maybe combine Song of the South songs with X-mas songs and have almost completely different lyrics than the original song.

• Minion of Chernabog

1: PLEASE divide what you say into paragraphs. I look at a wordwall like that and my eyes start slipping off words, I lose my place, it's a nightmare.

2: I'm not sure if this would be good. It would either look really awesome or really tacky.

3: Not sure that we need more holiday overlays. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that it's a water ride overlay, though. Since it's less popular in the winter, this could drive up the line, but it's not nice if people are too cold to get wet.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• Banned User

In a little garden called Pixie Hollow at the base of the magestic Matterhorn Mountain

i love it, it totally works. i especially like the KISS ME, IM ALL FUR part.

• Splash On In

Ha. Have you ever been to Disneyland over the holidays? It is Christmasland... and it's awesome.

Nope, no more Christmas overlays, please. You would have HM, Small World, and Splash down for most of Jan to remove the overlays. You don't need to have every ride turned into a christmas display. Decorating the lands they exist in is enough.

Plus if the line is already short in the winter time due to the weather, I don't think an overlay on a not popular during the winter ride wouldn't make much financial sense. People still won't want to ride it and get soaked.

• Future Imagineer

/\ One factor I thought I mentioned was that the ride would be slowed down to reduce the splash-iness of the drops (if that doesn't work, the stopping mechanism would be programmed to temporarally stop the logs and the final chain lift would be slowed down). Considering it took Disney about 2 weeks to do HMH and a little more than a week for SW, it won't take most of January to remove the overlays. Also, I never said that I want to add overlays for every ride, just this one.

Quote Originally Posted by count_justin View Post
    i love it, it totally works. i especially like the KISS ME, IM ALL FUR part.
    Thanks, it's a parody of Kiss me, I'm Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit King View Post
    1: PLEASE divide what you say into paragraphs. I look at a wordwall like that and my eyes start slipping off words, I lose my place, it's a nightmare.

2: I'm not sure if this would be good. It would either look really awesome or really tacky.

3: Not sure that we need more holiday overlays. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that it's a water ride overlay, though. Since it's less popular in the winter, this could drive up the line, but it's not nice if people are too cold to get wet.
    1. Adjusted the thread for you

2. I'll leave it up to you to decide when I become an Imagineer (after I graduate High school and do anything possible to become one).

3. To me at least, 1-2 more overlays wouldn't really hurt (considering that DL has over 50+ attractions). Poncho's and read the first part of this text.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedScorp View Post
    Ha. Have you ever been to Disneyland over the holidays? It is Christmasland... and it's awesome.
    I've been to DL over the holidays (go at least once a week), and I agree that it's awesome what they do already, I just wanted a reason, while celebrating the holidays, to go to CC.
    Last edited by Right Ear; 11-27-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast