Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Grizzly Peak & Carthay Circle

Does anyone else think the Carthay Circle is ruining the illusion of Grizzly Peak? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Carthay being where it is, but it's strange to see it be equal in height, if not taller than, this mountain that for the past 10 years has looked like the tallest thing in its area.

It's just the backside of the mountain when you're up close, but you can still tell how close they are in height. Personally, I feel like they should just try and add some more trees behind the pump house to fully cover up the mountain so as to not ruin the illusion from when you're in the park.

• Closed Account

Re: Grizzly Peak & Carthay Circle

I never thought about it before, but you are right. The two fixtures would seem to clash since they are relatively close together. Hopefully they will put in some trees or another form of organic division of some sort.

• -

The theater does take away from the scale of the mountain, but so would any large trees that were planted for shade. I am more concerned that the theater is now going to be the central icon of the park. Yes, I know the significance of the Snow White premier, but the park is about California and a mountain shaped like a California grizzly bear seems like more of a fit as the central icon.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Not only that but how about seeing the top of Carthay from WITHIN Disneyland?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey777 View Post
    I think people get so caught up in the Disney principle of blocking visual intrusions from the outside world that they lose focus on what it's about. Seeing the IHOP across the street from Tomorrowland is bad. Seeing the top of a theater in the distance from Main Street is not really a problem, nor is seeing a mountain range in the distance, etc. When something is far away it is only the general form that must match, and a rooftop doesn't ruin main Street as such a thing (in general) could be expected to be seen (or Mountains off in the distance via Carsland).

It's things like Space Mountain, which would never be expected to be seen from any place but Tomorrowland, that are more of a problem, but even then it's relatively minor.

• Can Only Wish For More!

You mean, just like the big trees in front of SBC make it look smaller? Or the Matterhorn makes everything look smaller when in Fantasyland?

No big deal!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey777 View Post
    Better than seeing that bridge....

• Sock Puppet

Not at all.Grizzly Peak and CC aretotally two different points of interest at DCA.. Do you thinkMatterhorn ruins the illusion of Tomorrowland?

Carthay Circleis gorgeous already! Withit's park like setting it's super.. and the CT is coming alongfabulous.. so far it's looks fab!! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    Not at all.Grizzly Peak and CC aretotally two different points of interest at DCA.. Do you thinkMatterhorn ruins the illusion of Tomorrowland?

Carthay Circleis gorgeous already! Withit's park like setting it's super.. and the CT is coming alongfabulous.. so far it's looks fab!! I love it!
    I'm not saying it ruins the visual to have a mountain in the background, but rather that I feel this building tampers with the believability that this is a grand, majestic mountain...... when it's the same height as a theater. It's strange to me to see the two so equal. There's a few trees behind the pump house that go up the hill blocking the view of the ride and the Peak, I think a few more to fill in the gap would give a better impression of a mountain that seeing Grizzly shrunk my comparison.

• Minion of Chernabog

In other words, this might utterly ruin the forced perspective. It's like putting a yard stick next to the streets on Main Street, it ruins the feeling of height.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

In all honestly, I've never noticed the face of the bear from entering the park. Just from the sides of it and over in PP. In PP, the mountain has a large tree-ed hill semi ruining effect however I think the mountain looks as majestic as ever when viewing from it's respected land (where it should look most grand) or even from A Bug's Land. Honestly when coming into the park, it looks kind of like some hills not even a mountain. I mean the tallest part of the mountain isn't even near the Carthay. It's nice because as you walk through Condor Flats, it still looks like a rocky hill and them BAM you go up the curve in the road and see this granite bear mountain. I love seeing it peek above the treeline in RCT. The only place I can see the illusion being ruined is in PP because you can see both the copula from the Carthay and GRR but GRR is already off perspective from there and PP has bigger sightline issues...

• Hide and Seek with Anna

The last time I was at Disneyland I was in Main Street sitting down on the white beanch that where Mickey or Minnie will do meet and greet at sometimes across from the Mad Hatter Store and you can see the Mountain from Cars Land there I think that is bigger then these others two you people are talking about.

• One Little Spark...

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The theater does take away from the scale of the mountain, but so would any large trees that were planted for shade. I am more concerned that the theater is now going to be the central icon of the park. Yes, I know the significance of the Snow White premier, but the park is about California and a mountain shaped like a California grizzly bear seems like more of a fit as the central icon.
    The Carthay Theater is going to be the new icon of the park. It was announced in a press conference when the concept art was released. I remember when the park first opened, I always believed the wolf..err..bear was the icon. It does make more sense. Apparently it was that sun-thingy that was very underwhelming.

My friend who worked at WDW and just recently moved here always thought Mickey's Fun Wheel was the icon. She said people on the east coast associate the farris wheel with DCA because that's what they see the most in ads. Interesting how DCA (as of now) doesn't have a true centerpiece.

I agree, Grizzy Peak should be the tallest thing in the park

How find a good dentist in tijuana mexico here here
    Last edited by davix; 12-19-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    In all honestly, I've never noticed the face of the bear from entering the park. Just from the sides of it and over in PP. In PP, the mountain has a large tree-ed hill semi ruining effect however I think the mountain looks as majestic as ever when viewing from it's respected land (where it should look most grand) or even from A Bug's Land. Honestly when coming into the park, it looks kind of like some hills not even a mountain. I mean the tallest part of the mountain isn't even near the Carthay. It's nice because as you walk through Condor Flats, it still looks like a rocky hill and them BAM you go up the curve in the road and see this granite bear mountain. I love seeing it peek above the treeline in RCT. The only place I can see the illusion being ruined is in PP because you can see both the copula from the Carthay and GRR but GRR is already off perspective from there and PP has bigger sightline issues...
    It's true that you can only see the back of the bear when entering the park, but it just bugs me when I'm standing between the two. I haaaaaaaaate the sightlines in the pier, I HATE watching WOC and my eye catches the signs for the hotels in the background. I kinda wish they'd extend the sea bluff atleast to where Screamin begins just to hide some of that stuff but idk how costly that would be, or feasible with the backstage space there.

As for Cadillac Range being visible from Main Street I don't really see that as an issue... I feel you'd still have a sense that it's another world, farther away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast