• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

What two attractions bridged the gap between Golden Age and New Age?

Discuss
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: What two attractions bridged the gap between Golden Age and New Age?

I'd venture to say Big Thunder Mountain and Pinocchio's Daring Journey. Both were "after Walt" concepts (Space Mountain was an idea during Walt's life), overseen by second generation imagineers (Tony Baxter was lead I believe) who had worked for the company during Walt's time in some capacity and under original designers.

• Senior Monorail Minion

I agree, except I would say BTMRR (because it was the first Walt ride to be destroyed and replaced after his death) and the entire 1983 FL refurb because it was the first major overhaul in the park without his input.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• -

I would have to say Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion. Both were conceived and worked on by Walt, but completed after his death. Thus the rides were the product of two eras, the Walt era and the Post-Walt era.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

The above would be my answer too. Pirates and Haunted Mansion are both Walt-era attractions that have survived, with some gilding-the-lily changes, but are largely still original. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was a failure of park layout and design principles, reducing a 7-acre Walt attraction to a 2-acre Knott's attraction, and Star Tours set a dangerous precedent of importing non-Disney properties into a Disney park, evicting another great Walt-era attraction in the process. The last "Walt attraction" was Space Mountain, and ever since then it has been a long, slow, steady decline in originality - because the big decisions are now made by MBAs and bean-counters instead of people with vision and imagination.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I'd like to say Splash Mountain is one even though it's a late 80s/early 90s attraction. For some reason it always felt like the ride is older than that but maybe that is nostalgia talking. It is a ride that uses Walt era characters with advance animatronics.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I'd venture to say Big Thunder Mountain and Pinocchio's Daring Journey. Both were "after Walt" concepts (Space Mountain was an idea during Walt's life), overseen by second generation imagineers (Tony Baxter was lead I believe) who had worked for the company during Walt's time in some capacity and under original designers.
    I don't recall Walt ever envisioning a Pinocchio ride.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Blew By You

I agree with Thunder Mountain. It was opened around Disneyland's 25th Anniversary, so in time, it sits in the middle of the lifespan (so to speak). I also vote for Pirates of the Carribean. This was the last attraction in which Disney had a hand in its planning. It's popular to this day.

• Golden State of Mind

Hang on to your hats and glasses.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The above would be my answer too. Pirates and Haunted Mansion are both Walt-era attractions that have survived, with some gilding-the-lily changes, but are largely still original. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was a failure of park layout and design principles, reducing a 7-acre Walt attraction to a 2-acre Knott's attraction, and Star Tours set a dangerous precedent of importing non-Disney properties into a Disney park, evicting another great Walt-era attraction in the process. The last "Walt attraction" was Space Mountain, and ever since then it has been a long, slow, steady decline in originality - because the big decisions are now made by MBAs and bean-counters instead of people with vision and imagination.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I would have to say Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion. Both were conceived and worked on by Walt, but completed after his death. Thus the rides were the product of two eras, the Walt era and the Post-Walt era.
    THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Exactly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo.
    +1
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com