Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm a Lutheran

Question Wind at Disneyland

We've had 80 mph winds over here in Glendora and judging by the fact that Pasadena is in a state of emergency due to wind, I'm going to assume that the rest of So Cal is also under siege by this rare windstorm.

So with that in mind I'm curious to know if there are any wind problems with DLR. It's pretty much fate that the nighttime spectaculars were more than likely cancelled but I don't know for sure. Any info on the resort's condition?
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Banned User

Re: Wind at Disneyland

It is windy as far as any cancellations it is too early to tell. Disney will make that call as it gets closer to show times and they get word from the Anaheim, Fire Department and Police. Til then it is just a waiting game. Just hopefully no power outages.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I live in Newport Beach and work in Irvine. Neither of these cities even have a breeze at the moment.

Although te OC Register is stating winds could still be expected today in OC but they won't be as strong as they were in the San Gabriel Valley.

ETA: And this isn't a rare windstorm. So Cal gets Santa Ana Winds all the time in the fall and early winter. And this would be a Santa Ana wind. It's just that it hasn't been this powerful for a good few years. But the winds never made it to the OC and right now there isn't even a breeze.

I wouldn't count on riding Golden Zephyr if that is important to you.
    "Mr. Toad is still doing the Wild Thing in SoCal" -Fake Robert Christgau, http://christgaudoesdisney.tumblr.com/

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Ok. It's windy now in Irvine.

Being in strong winds in Disneyland stinks.

For those going today have fun!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by crankypage View Post
    I wouldn't count on riding Golden Zephyr if that is important to you.
    Damn. Now I have to re-plan my whole day.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I live in Newport Beach and work in Irvine. Neither of these cities even have a breeze at the moment.

Although te OC Register is stating winds could still be expected today in OC but they won't be as strong as they were in the San Gabriel Valley.

ETA: And this isn't a rare windstorm. So Cal gets Santa Ana Winds all the time in the fall and early winter. And this would be a Santa Ana wind. It's just that it hasn't been this powerful for a good few years. But the winds never made it to the OC and right now there isn't even a breeze.
    I live in NB and the wind has really started to pick up... looks like fireworks and WoC may be cancelled.. i don't know about F!

• A Weather Eye Open

Fireworks was cancelled. F! was not scheduled on this early close night (9pm). Didn't notice about WoC but the parade roller snow girls weren't wearing their flakes.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Fireworks Finatic!

There was hardly any wind here in Anaheim all day. Only by evening the winds picked up a bit, but not that strong. But the fireworks were cancelled at Disneyland. The winds up in Glendale and Pasadena were from the North.. Anaheim usually gets the strong winds from the Northeast.. That little direction change makes a huge difference!

Up in norcal the wind took down power lines and trees. Nasty wind.

• I Love Disneyland!!

Any new updates on the wind situation for today and Saturday? Keep us informed please so we know if we should even attempt the grapevine to get there! THANKS!!
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Fireworks was cancelled. F! was not scheduled on this early close night (9pm). Didn't notice about WoC but the parade roller snow girls weren't wearing their flakes.
    I watched the Mattercam last night and World of Color went on just fine.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

The strongest winds, from what I understand, were coming in from the North in this latest round. It's from the EAST that we usually get nailed with Santa Anas at Disneyland. While areas around Pasadena were clocking gusts in the 80-90 MPH range, I'd say we didn't really get above 20 MPH over the past couple of days, although it did blow pretty good early yesterday for a brief time during the early morning hours. I think for the monster Santa Ana winds, it all has to do with where you are in relation to the canyons. Disneyland is a bit downstream from Weir canyon (that's the one the 91 freeway runs through, right?), so when we get the big winds from the East, Disneyland generally gets nailed harder. The foothills in North Orange County act as a bit of a shield from those big Northern winds.

• Minion

I'm at work at Disneyland right now. It's breezy, but not really "windy". We have had hardly any winds at all in central OC the past two days. They cancelled pyro last night though because the winds at the 300+ foot level above the park kicked up enough.

Judging by the way the upper branches of the big tall trees along the back of the Rivers of America are now rustling and slightly moving, they will be cancelling pyro again tonight. The OC Register says to expect light winds through Saturday night, and that's all it takes to cancel pyro is light winds at the surface and moderate winds a few hundred feet up.

The night of the huge wind storm up in LA, the leaves on the trees were barely moving at my girlfriends house in southern OC. And at my place in Fullerton, the roomies said we had no wind at all. But it was a raging windstorm up in LA and Pasadena. Weird stuff.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    I'm at work at Disneyland right now. It's breezy, but not really "windy". We have had hardly any winds at all in central OC the past two days. They cancelled pyro last night though because the winds at the 300+ foot level above the park kicked up enough.

Judging by the way the upper branches of the big tall trees along the back of the Rivers of America are now rustling and slightly moving, they will be cancelling pyro again tonight. The OC Register says to expect light winds through Saturday night, and that's all it takes to cancel pyro is light winds at the surface and moderate winds a few hundred feet up.

The night of the huge wind storm up in LA, the leaves on the trees were barely moving at my girlfriends house in southern OC. And at my place in Fullerton, the roomies said we had no wind at all. But it was a raging windstorm up in LA and Pasadena. Weird stuff.
    I guess it also depends on which direction the wind is coming from for them to pull the plug. I was SHOCKED last Spring when they let the pryo go with a fairly strong breeze blowing, i.e. tops of trees all along Frontierland were moving quite a bit. It was one of those weird nights when they had no Fantasmic scheduled so I was able to shoot the fireworks from the top of the Mark Twain. A couple of the cast members told me I would most likely be out of luck as I set up my camera, but I set it up just in case. I was 99 percent sure they would pull the plug as I had been in the park plenty of times before when the wind was HALF as strong and they killed the pyro. I'd be interested in finding out which direction they give more latitude to, i.e. sparks and debris are not as much of a big deal if they come down on the East side of the park, etc. I mean, it was WINDY when those shells went up and they ran the full show. Hmmmm....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast