Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: With WWoHP rumored for USH in 2015, How will this effect DL's 60th Anniversary?

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I kinda hope this doesn't happen. To me WWoHP is something you shouldn't replicate once you build it. It's a place that true Potter fans worldwide would make a pilgrimage to (which makes me think that maybe they should've built it in the UK). Now if they were to just replicate the Forbidden Journey ride itself...

Now keep in mind that WDW responded with NOTHING when WWoHP took affect, so who knows if Disney would even feel threatened by a WWoHP on the West Coast enough to do anything with DLR.
    This is how people felt about Disneyland too......but to me it seems selfish to make one where people can only dream of going now millions more can go to it, thats magic.

Anywho, I would only hope it makes them step up there game but i really dont see a new land coming so I dont see how they can top it......Tomorrowland redo would be cool but could it beat Potter? I really dont think so....even the Frontierland western expansion would be nice but would not bring crowds like Potter.....Disney better get ready to open at least ONE big E ticket ride at one of the parks, get new fireworks....and another D ticket (or E) at the other park to even try to compete

• Banned User

Re: With WWoHP rumored for USH in 2015, How will this effect DL's 60th Anniversary?

Until we see further plans I wouldn't worry too much. Universal in Hollywood doesn't have much to offer and even with this added attraction and the crowds it will bring, its still a lonely park outside of that. This is the theme park that closes at sunset and only has 4 rides, remember? Disney is still a lot more bang for your buck even at it's worst. That being said, I'm hoping (Harry or not) that we get some big news for the 60th soon.

• Banned User

I'm not "worried" about anything. Competition only benefits us. If Universal builds something that is amazing, and people flock to it, it may force Disney to cut they apron strings on their imagineers and let them do what they do best: create, and give them the budget to fulfill their visions.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Until we see further plans I wouldn't worry too much. Universal in Hollywood doesn't have much to offer and even with this added attraction and the crowds it will bring, its still a lonely park outside of that. This is the theme park that closes at sunset and only has 4 rides, remember? Disney is still a lot more bang for your buck even at it's worst. That being said, I'm hoping (Harry or not) that we get some big news for the 60th soon.
    IOA pre WWoHP attendance was roughly equal to USH. IAO attendance post WWoHP was roughly equal to DCA attendance before WoC and closed in on the post WoC DCA attendance.

If Carsland was out of the picture, could you imagine that "lonely park" in Universal city being ahead of DCA? USH being the second busiest park in California?

• Banned User

Those numbers actually shock me. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've gone to Universal in the last decade. DCA appeals to me and my friends far more, even before the makeover.

I've had this thought on my mind for some time now but had no decent place to discuss it and it seems kind of relevant here...

I remember Al saying that next summer DLR is going to start advertising in new markets and essentially try to get some tourists that usually go to Florida to come out west. Although I'm sure they will be impressed by the original Disneyland (even though Indy needs a refurb BAD) and the new DCA, might DLR have to seriously consider adding a third gate if it expects these new customers to keep coming back? And, if so, wouldn't this rumored addition at USH be just another great reason to add a third gate?

Just a thought.

We gave up our premium season pass to DLR a couple of years ago and I can't say that we miss it which is really sad considering what big Disney fans we are. The spirit of Walt no longer exists at DLR.

We now are season pass holders to USH.......went last Saturday and enjoyed a full day from 9:00am until 8:00pm closing (sunset was around 5:00pm by the way). Much more enjoyable at USH........the employees AND guests are much more respectful and don't seem wound like a top like at DLR. We love it........and save about $800/year in the process.

Can't wait for Potter to arrive!

Theme park dynamics are different in SoCal vs FL because DLR is still not big enough to fill a week long family vacation. In this case a big attraction at USH would actually help draw additional tourists to the area, and nearly all of them will visit both DLR and USH. The ones who should be worried are the lesser parks like SFMM, KBF, and Sea World because USH would eat into their share of the tourists.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by kburford View Post
    Personally, I think this is purely a harry potter fan's view. Casual fans probably don't care as much about having one place where you can visit Hogwarts. As a pretty hardcore fan myself, I agree that there should only be ONE Hogsmeade, etc. It loses it's immersion once there's a duplicate. I also love how involved Stuart Craig, Jo Rowling, & others were with WWoHP in USO; so I'm afraid as more lands are added in different areas of the world, the richness of harry's world and the great details will begin to lose out. The budget being rumored for construction in USH is already less than USO's, and obviously space is an issue...so I'm nervous. But I'm not 100% against it since I do live in LA and selfishly want to visit WWoHP a lot.

Disneyland is completely different from WWoHP in terms of re-creation for me. I didn't read about Disneyland in books as a real place like you would with Harry Potter. Disney is a theme park, and many theme parks are replicated; and I think that for Harry Potter fans, WWoHP is our glimpse into the 'real' world of Harry so we don't really visualize it as a theme park but as THE Wizarding World.

---

As for Disneyland being affected, I don't think it will take as much a hit as Disney World. Locals aren't going to throw in their pass for Universal ones. If anything I might get a pass to Universal in addition to Disneyland. But I don't think I'd give up a park I love (Disneyland) for one land at Universal. And with the closer proximity, I think tourists will go to both Disneyland and Universal. I don't see USH standing on its own as a vacation destination.
    Yep, my feelings exactly. I read on another source that Universal was technically still waiting for JKR's seal of approval on the new Hogsmeade, and I can't help wondering if she might just reject it reject it for the reasons described here.

This is my first post ever!!! Look, I'm a big fan of Harry Potter, and I went to IOA in july and it was GREAT. But I have to say that Disney is Disney, and I think a single E-ticket attraction would be enough to compete with it. I've been thinking of a Villain Village . Wouldn't it be nice?

• Banned User

Land is a problem for Universal Studios Hollywood, but easily solved by removing portions of the Studios Tour like what Universal said they will do.

Universal Studios Future Plans | Universal Studios Hollywood lays out 20-year plan for future theme park attractions - Los Angeles Times

Removing Gibson and Waterworld wouldn't work unless they want to cheap out and scale it down (way down), which would be suicide. Think of DCA 2.0. There is no coming back from that.

Gibson is still needed if Universal wants to showcase the Blue Man group as a permanent resident show.

• I'm the Doctor

Florida and California are two different beasts. Here in Cali it seems new attractions happen alot more than in Florida. We cannot deny the power of Potter however; along with this and the upcoming Transformers ride Universal will certinly be stepping it up. We should remember that USH doesnt have the blessing of land, they have and always been a studio first, theme park second. The only logical place it can go is Waterworld since it's the biggest piece of land. I think there just enough room for Forbidden Journey, not enough for Hogsmeade however.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Those numbers actually shock me. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've gone to Universal in the last decade. DCA appeals to me and my friends far more, even before the makeover.
    You seem to forget, that the real appeal of USH is that its an Actual Working Movie Studio.

People go just for the chance to see someone famous or a movie filiming. Everything else they've put into that park is a bonus.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

At the end of the day Potter will bring more visitors to the SoCal region. Since you can't spend all that much time at one park like USH, it'll mean more visitors to DLR and more $$$ for the mouse.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    You seem to forget, that the real appeal of USH is that its an Actual Working Movie Studio.

People go just for the chance to see someone famous or a movie filiming. Everything else they've put into that park is a bonus.
    That is a very good point. It's always been part of the bigger draw to USH. The same can't be said for DHS or USO.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Yep, my feelings exactly. I read on another source that Universal was technically still waiting for JKR's seal of approval on the new Hogsmeade, and I can't help wondering if she might just reject it reject it for the reasons described here.
    There is only one true source for this and it is the Wall Street Journal. What you read was speculation on the author's behalf only. After WSJ broke the story, dozens of blogs and fantsites wrote copy cat articles with interjections of thier own theories. How heavy of a hand, or any hand Rowling has in this is not known.

Quote Originally Posted by logicspeaks View Post
    I remember Al saying that next summer DLR is going to start advertising in new markets and essentially try to get some tourists that usually go to Florida to come out west. Although I'm sure they will be impressed by the original Disneyland (even though Indy needs a refurb BAD) and the new DCA, might DLR have to seriously consider adding a third gate if it expects these new customers to keep coming back? And, if so, wouldn't this rumored addition at USH be just another great reason to add a third gate?
    As far as the article it could of been written much simpley. DLR will advertise to Texans. All the other markets don't matter. Other than Texas, those other western states have tiny populations. What are you going to do, pull in another 25 people from Nebraska? Yeehaw.

To compete with WDW, DLR needs more than a new super land. Would a 3rd gate help? Sure. Will USH help? Sure. DLR still needs a valuable dining plan, more onsite lodging variety, Magical Express, KTTW. It's lacking so many options and perks the playing field between WDW and DLR is not close to even. It will take more than a fancy ad about Carsland and Harry Potter to get people to switch to the western resort.

You and I are probably in the same boat. Disney fans first, but not indicative of the general populus.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast