Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Bad Parents at Disneyland

We've all seen them. Just this summer while waiting in line of HM, I was waiting behind a mother with a small child who was apparently very scared to go on the ride. Now, I can understand having the kid go on it to see if they like it, but the the mother was being very mean about it. She was calling the kid a "wuss", "loser", "good-for-nothing" among other words, and finished off by saying "Fine, if you want to be a f***ing wuss, that's not my problem" and dragged him out of line. Anyone else have parenting horror stories?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Bad Parents at Disneyland

Not at Disneyland but at the park near my house. It has two sections, big kids and a playground for kids under 5.

This guy takes his son (who was probably not older than 2 or 3), walks up the stairs to the BIG slide, takes him by one arm and plops him down on the slide and lets him go. The poor boy was screaming his head off before he even was put on the slide.

I wanted to smack the dad...

• A Pirate's life for me!

People forget that they are there for their kids enjoyment as well as their own.

We've never forced our kids to "have fun". Everything is offered to them and they can do what they want. If they don't want to go on Indy for example, then one of us will sit it out with them, then use the baby swap pass to go with one of the other kids.

As our kids are getting older, they now go on almost everything. In fact, the only ride that my youngest daughter won't go on at this point is Thunder Mtn. She went on it once about a year ago and hasn't been back on it since. She finally decided to go on Splash Mtn and Space Mtn this past month, and now we can't keep her off of either one. I think we did each ride six times.

Parents need to back off and treat their kids like the precious things that they are.

I have bitten my own tongue more than a few times while witnessing the above mentioned verbal "abuse" that parents dish out at the Parks. I want to step in and say something so bad...but I know better.

If it ever got physical though, I'm right there.

• Wasn't Me!

I have two stories…..

The first was a dad with his daughter standing next to me in front of Dumbo for the fireworks. They start to go off and the little girl, maybe 2 or 3 starts screaming. The noise is scaring her! So he puts her down, spanks her, picks her back up and turns her to face them again….she continues to scream and he continues to spank her. I wanted to beat the crap put of him. She was scared…take her somewhere else…don’t beat her.

The second one made the hair on the back of my head stand up. When we were in Disneyland Paris by Small World, a woman with a small girl, also about 2 or 3, walks of the ride. The “father” who was not on the ride runs over grabs the little girl by her shirt, starts shaking her and screaming right in her face. The whole time, the lady that was with the girl just stands there! I so wanted to go over and kick his a** but in a foreign country, you never know what trouble that will get you into!

I was abused as a child and I know how it can hurt a young life! I just wish we could step in to protect the children of this world.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Actually, one of my favorite Disneyland memories with my parents was when I was 4 years old, and was just tall enough to ride Space Mountain, which had just opened. I screamed my head off in the queue, terrified of the "fate" that awaited me. Yet, my dad pressed on, saying, "Kid. I know you'll love this. Don't be scared." I cried and screamed ("I want the exit!") all the way to the rocket, and up the first hill. And then..... I was like, "Whoa........." Upon exiting, I looked up at him and said, "Again!!!"

Granted, he didn't call me names nor hit me, but he sure kept a strong hold on my hand and refused to let go (I was pulling constantly, trying to run away).

I'm sure some would consider him a "bad parent" if they saw it to this day, but man, I treasure that moment. It's been "our ride" ever since.

While I think it's good for some kids to be "pushed" to experience new or "scary" things, I totally disagree with degrading or punishing them for something they don't want to do.

As for the mother in the OP, I think it's sad and disgusting the way she went about it. However, if she made an offer of, "Hey. These are happy haunts and won't hurt you. If you at least give it a try, we'll let you pick out the next ride or a souvenir. How about it?"

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station

The ones that always get me are the parents who drag there kids around. You see the little ones are so tired and at a point where all the really want to do is cry...and Mom and Dad push the limits..then get angry. All for the sake of a memory to last a lifetime

Its a pressure thing..WE HAVE TO SEE THE PARADE etc. Its really sad. I have witnessed so many episodes of "parental pressure" that it makes you ill. If you are at the resort for 2 days or 5 days..make time for naps..take a day at the hotel..see the shows on one day and go on rides the next..anything to break the monotany. Most of all remember they are children, they need break time just like we do.
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Working at the Park I saw all kinds of things. People spanking their kid for getting lost, not wanting to get their picture taken with a character, not wanting to go on a ride and for being terrified of the parade/fireworks. I've also seen parents who had their kid on a leash - a DOG leash. Saw parents drag their kid, face down, across Main Street.

There is a time to punish your child but it should be because the kid is scared or tired. I think both parents & children should remember its important to take a nap or two during the day, have snacks at all times, and take your time. It's easy to get nasty when your patience (& knowing you spent a lot of money) runs out.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

In line to see Mickey in his house, this kid was screaming and screaming and screaming. His mom was holding him, she was there with two other kids (he was maybe 2 or 3 , the others were about 7 or 8ish) and another adult. This kid is just going CRAZY screaming, though the line, about 20 to 30 minutes, into the screening room. FINANLY he calms down enough so he's only whimpering. They're two groups away from Mickey and the mom says, I'm not sure I want to meet Mickey. Kids, lets go do something else. So they all leave.

I was like... why couldn't you decide that earlier instead of letting your kid have a fit and letting us have to hear him?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Hey, when I was little, my parents forced me to go on those big rides, Splash Mountain and Space Mountain. I never seemed to have any problem with Thunder Mountain or the Matterhorn. Anyway, when you're three feet tall, that Splash Mountain drop is pretty damn high; I would make a fuss, cry, stomp my feet; sometimes I'd win, but most of the time I wouldn't. Over time I grew to deal with it...

Now, I absolutely love those rides. I almost thank my parents for making me go on those attractions.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    Now, I absolutely love those rides. I almost thank my parents for making me go on those attractions.
    Meh, you would have gone on them eventually.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Hey, when I was little, my parents forced me to go on those big rides, Splash Mountain and Space Mountain. I never seemed to have any problem with Thunder Mountain or the Matterhorn. Anyway, when you're three feet tall, that Splash Mountain drop is pretty damn high; I would make a fuss, cry, stomp my feet; sometimes I'd win, but most of the time I wouldn't. Over time I grew to deal with it...

I agree with this, my brother's always forced me to go on rides when I was younger even though they absolutely terrified me, and finally one time I started to enjoy them. However, I just found it sickening that mother would a.)make fun of the child and b.)swear at them. I've seen it several times, one being at the West Edmonton Mall, at the water park. I was in the locker room changing, when a man was swearing at his son, who was 12ish for having a blue lips because of some drink that he bought him. He then went on to tell him that "there is no f***ing way we're coming back to this f***ing place ya stupid f***tard." (sorry about the swearing, but those were his words) All because he had blue lips!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Actually, one of my favorite Disneyland memories with my parents was when I was 4 years old, and was just tall enough to ride Space Mountain, which had just opened. I screamed my head off in the queue, terrified of the "fate" that awaited me. Yet, my dad pressed on, saying, "Kid. I know you'll love this. Don't be scared." I cried and screamed ("I want the exit!") all the way to the rocket, and up the first hill. And then..... I was like, "Whoa........." Upon exiting, I looked up at him and said, "Again!!!"
    this is exactly how my daughter reacted to every ride in the park...dumbo, the carousel....it didn't matter, but once she was on it she loved them and wanted to go on again. I wish people would jusy stop judging parents. what makes you think you kow their child better than they do?.....

*disclaimer...if the child is being abused that is different. This is about all those people who judge parents for making a crying child go on a ride.*

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    this is exactly how my daughter reacted to every ride in the park...dumbo, the carousel....it didn't matter, but once she was on it she loved them and wanted to go on again. I wish people would jusy stop judging parents. what makes you think you kow their child better than they do?.....

*disclaimer...if the child is being abused that is different. This is about all those people who judge parents for making a crying child go on a ride.*
    This is a good point. What's really irritating as a parent is when your child previously went on a ride (Star Tours)and the next time refuses too. Arrrgh!

It seems that the BabyBoyifer forgot what the ride was like from 8 months ago (btw, Star Wars is his favorite movie!) and he suddenly decided he was too afraid to ride it. After MUCH encouragement (bribery), me holding him through the ENTIRE queue, AND holding his hand and whispering to him during the ride, he loved it.

The funny thing is, his dad wanted to just let it go but my stubbornness prevailed. Yeah, it may have looked bad to hear a kid saying "I don't want to go!" and seeing a mom "making" him do it, but I know my kid and I could tell he just needed to be shown in a kind, yet firm way that it was going to be ok.
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Small Projects Team

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe

Well, it's not judging the parents as being bad parents...it's being mad at the parents for allowing their children to disturb the people around them (I'm talking about the unreasonably high pitched scream of terror type of crying, not the normal crying from fear)

• That's Hawt

See, that kind of **** really gets my blood a-boiling!

My godson is terrified of anything new and different, so every time my friend takes him on a new ride he screams his head off! I remember her telling me that he screeched all the way through the queue for Buzz and then got off and made her go on it again 8 times!

And on the topic of kids getting spanked for getting lost, that is absolute BULL! I remember the few times I got lost in the park and it was an absolutely terrifying time! I was never greeted with smacks only hugs and kisses and then a well-deserved talking to.

Ugh, parents. I think we should get the right to spank them and cuss at them if they do it to their kids, it might be fun!
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 12-15-2005 at 02:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast