• Circle of Ancients

Why isn't it "Disney" Grand Californian Hotel?

While staying at the GCH over the weekend (Thank you Fairy Godmother Travel) I noticed that they still refer to the hotel as "Disney's" Grand Californian Hotel even though the park next door is "Disney" California Adventure.

If they are going to make DCA sound weird by just calling it "Disney", shouldn't the same apply to the hotel?

• Minion

Re: Why isn't it "Disney" Grand Californian Hotel?

The entire company is in the process of eliminating the " 's ".

This will take sometime, as TWDC is huge. So far, DCA and Aulani are the only Parks and Resort properties that refer to the singular "Disney". However, over time, each park and hotel will slowly take the "Disney" name.

As for the GHC, they just haven't gotten to it yet.

• Professional Poltergeist

I was kind of wondering if they just didn't put the "Disney's" thing in front of Grand Californian to make it seem more, I dunno, esteemed or something. I think that it's already (strongly) implied that it's a Disney hotel, just a really ritzy one.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    This will take sometime, as TWDC is huge. So far, DCA and Aulani are the only Parks and Resort properties that refer to the singular "Disney". However, over time, each park and hotel will slowly take the "Disney" name.
    It almost feels like they have to be putting up a new sign before they will fix old ones.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If they are going to make DCA sound weird by just calling it "Disney", shouldn't the same apply to the hotel?
    That's a really good question. I decided to ask a few salaried CM's involved at hotels. The way they explain it is that the Grand Galifornian isn't a "DCA" hotel, but is one of three hotels in their own right that are on the Resort. The "Disney's" in the names of the GCH and PPH reflect the fact that they are owned and operated by the Resort, while the "Disney" in DCA referrs to the Park immersing its guests into a specific experience. Also, the decision to rebrand DCA by dropping the "'s" was autonomous, derived in part by input from Mary Nive, who runs DCA (and does do very well, I might add). I'm not sure if I expplained that correctly, but I hope that helps.
    The entire company is in the process of eliminating the " 's ".
    I'm not sure if you were kidding or not. Regardless, what you said simply isn't so. The DCA rebrand was for the most part a local, autonomous decision.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I'm not sure if you were kidding or not. Regardless, what you said simply isn't so. The DCA rebrand was for the most part a local, autonomous decision.
    Wasn't kidding. If you look at the Tangled logo, Muppets logo, Winnie the Pooh logo, they all say "Disney Tangled", "Disney The Muppets", "Disney Winnie the Pooh" as contrasted by the formerly used "Disney's .....".

• DLR Cast Member

Wasn't kidding. If you look at the Tangled logo, Muppets logo, Winnie the Pooh logo, they all say "Disney Tangled", "Disney The Muppets", "Disney Winnie the Pooh" as contrasted by the formerly used "Disney's .....".
    What you're seeing isn't a "name change". Rather, you're seeing marketing for Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group. What they does has nothing to do with what Disneyland Resort does. They're actually rather autonomous. WDMPG does the parketing for the Walt Disney Pictures and Televition company, the Walt Disney Animation Studios company, and Pixar Animation Studios company. OTOH, DL Resort's marketing is handles by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, which is a separate entity from Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

That's a really good question. I decided to ask a few salaried CM's involved at hotels. The way they explain it is that the Grand Galifornian isn't a "DCA" hotel, but is one of three hotels in their own right that are on the Resort. The "Disney's" in the names of the GCH and PPH reflect the fact that they are owned and operated by the Resort, while the "Disney" in DCA referrs to the Park immersing its guests into a specific experience. Also, the decision to rebrand DCA by dropping the "'s" was autonomous, derived in part by input from Mary Nive, who runs DCA (and does do very well, I might add). I'm not sure if I expplained that correctly, but I hope that helps.
    This is all a lot of fluffy speak. Disney today almost always claims that changes were made at the lowest level. It is a marketing move that began about four year ago with merchandise and has been spreading ever since. What makes the park different is that this is the first time in which the branding change is part of the used name. Television shows and filmw were (and still are) rarely referred to with "Disney" (formerly "Disney's") in their title, even if that is how the logos appear on marketing materials.

What you're seeing isn't a "name change". Rather, you're seeing marketing for Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group. What they does has nothing to do with what Disneyland Resort does. They're actually rather autonomous. WDMPG does the parketing for the Walt Disney Pictures and Televition company, the Walt Disney Animation Studios company, and Pixar Animation Studios company. OTOH, DL Resort's marketing is handles by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, which is a separate entity from Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group.
    Does not mean they cannot be directed from above.

Actaully your all WRONG on one thing. Its Disneys grand Californian hotel and SPA. We as a company worked hard getting that, and having just a SPA in the location does NOT qualify it to have that name or 4 star rating

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    While staying at the GCH over the weekend (Thank you Fairy Godmother Travel) I noticed that they still refer to the hotel as "Disney's" Grand Californian Hotel even though the park next door is "Disney" California Adventure.

It' a viru . You'll ee what I mean one day oon, when your member name becom Ir Clinkalot.

Incerely,

Mr Wiggin
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Noty View Post
    Actaully your all WRONG on one thing. Its Disneys grand Californian hotel and SPA. We as a company worked hard getting that, and having just a SPA in the location does NOT qualify it to have that name or 4 star rating
    Are you suggesting that there are regulations in place that prevent Disney from using the word "spa" in its name?

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It is a marketing move that began about four year ago with merchandise and has been spreading ever since.
    Yet in 2008, Disney-MGM Studios (without the " 's") became "Disney's Hollywood Studios", and not "Disney Hollywood Studios". It would have been the perfect time for the to do so. And, as already noted, when DCA became "Disney California Adventure", the Grand Californian didn't become "Disney Grand Californian", which, again, would have been the perfect time to do so.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the so-called "mandate" from upper management to remove the " 's" simple doesn't exist.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 12-07-2011 at 08:42 AM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Yet in 2008, Disney-MGM Studios (without the " 's") became "Disney's Hollywood Studios", and not "Disney Hollywood Studios". It would have been the perfect time for the to do so. And, as already noted, when DCA became "Disney California Adventure", the Grand Californian didn't become "Disney Grand Californian".
    And when it started, different products from the same property would be labeled "Disney's" and "Disney."

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

The brand managers at Disney are trying to reinforce the Brand through applications like this.
    Here's an example:

You don't see a ketchup bottle that says "Heinz's Ketchup", it says "Heinz Ketchup."

You wouldn't say "I use an Apple's iPod," you say "an Apple iPod."

Really, the best way to think about it is this: "Disney" is the brand, "California Adventure" is the product. They are two separate things. For branding and trademark purposes, the brand is included with the product name, which makes it seem a little unwieldy.

This re-branding is probably the right thing to do from a brand/corporate/trademark standpoint, but I don't think it is the friendliest thing for the guests. It is awkward rolling off the tongue, to say the least.

Also, I have to say that when I am in the parks, seeing the "Disney" brand on an attraction sign is a little off-putting, as a) I know I'm in Disneyland and b) it destroys any suspension of disbelief - i.e., silly me, I thought that was a real princess, not an actor in the Disney™ Princess Fantasy Faire.
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.